Gates timing belt kit: Chinese-made water pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I bit the bullet and got an Aisin pump for about $50 online. I figured it's cheap insurance for something I need to rely on every day so I don't know why I was deliberating over it. Again, thanks for everyone's input.

Anyone need a cheap new water pump for a Subaru?
wink.gif

My warranty was only good for a year, according to the people who installed it.

What does bother me is that the car started to make a weird noise right after their work. We took the car back within two days, and about 8 times over the last couple of years. They "never heard it". We're talking about a local indy shop with an otherwise good reputation.

Aisin, its OEM for toyotas, close enough for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antonmnster
Well, I just spent the weekend changing the timing belt, h2o pump, thermostat, serp belt tensioner and all idler pullies on the Audi A6 over the weekend because the thermostat failed and stuck shut.

It was only 2 years old and had 22,000 miles on it. The water pump was also leaking.

Not sounding like Captain Obvious but with a 2 year old car with 22k on it why didn't you just let the Audi dealer handle it under warranty?

Wow, you didn't think to read your new vehicle warranty terms? Seriously?

Anyhow there are NO new vehicles from the major manufacturers that are not covered B2B for at least 2 years or 24k miles but I think VW, Audi, and many others are at least 3 years and 36k miles.

Also many times if a part like that fails close to the expiration of the factory warranty they will do a "good will" repair at NO CHARGE.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

Wow, you didn't think to read your new vehicle warranty terms? Seriously?

Anyhow there are NO new vehicles from the major manufacturers that are not covered B2B for at least 2 years or 24k miles but I think VW, Audi, and many others are at least 3 years and 36k miles.

Also many times if a part like that fails close to the expiration of the factory warranty they will do a "good will" repair at NO CHARGE.

I'm thinking that he meant the timing belt job was 2 years and 22k miles old.

And when I did my first TB job on my Audi, I used parts I thought were as good as OEM because of the reputation they had on the Audi forums. 35K miles later, the thermostat and waterpump were both leaking. The second time around, I spent the cash to make sure the replacements were better than the first ones.

I received my Aisin water pump yesterday, and honestly, I'm not that impressed with it from what I can see on the outside. The casting is a bit cleaner overall but the material feels rougher and 'cheaper'. It's also lighter and the impeller is different. The biggest difference I can see is that the port from the impeller down to where the thermostat goes is larger on the Gates pump so I can only assume it has the ability to flow better but obviously I have no idea if it's necessary. I don't have the OEM one off the car yet so I don't know how it'll compare to either of these.

So I'm back to square one. The Chinese-made Gates pump is now looking like it's pretty good quality, certainly 'good enough' quality, and the Aisin pump is the one that seems cheap. The Gates pump is mine now but I can still return the Aisin one and save $50. I'm just not sure if I should.

Sigh...

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
I received my Aisin water pump yesterday, and honestly, I'm not that impressed with it from what I can see on the outside. The casting is a bit cleaner overall but the material feels rougher and 'cheaper'. It's also lighter and the impeller is different. The biggest difference I can see is that the port from the impeller down to where the thermostat goes is larger on the Gates pump so I can only assume it has the ability to flow better but obviously I have no idea if it's necessary. I don't have the OEM one off the car yet so I don't know how it'll compare to either of these.

So I'm back to square one. The Chinese-made Gates pump is now looking like it's pretty good quality, certainly 'good enough' quality, and the Aisin pump is the one that seems cheap. The Gates pump is mine now but I can still return the Aisin one and save $50. I'm just not sure if I should.

Sigh...

What's the country of origin on the Aisin pump? The ones I saw online were Japan.

I'm not criticizing, but what qualifications do you have to judge the metal by feeling it and saying you think it's "cheap"?

The fact that the casting is cleaner would have led me to believe it's probably better built. Also, how do you know the Chinese pump isn't heavier than the OE pump? Perhaps the OE and Aisin pump weigh the same amount? And perhaps the Aisin pump uses the OE impeller design and the Chinese pump is the one that's different? I don't know the answers to these questions, but they seem like valid points.

I think you're judging the Aisin pump on some strange points. I would guess the parts that are most important, the bearing and seals, are also probably better on the Aisin.

Last edited:
The only thing I will say is stuff made in China can look good and feel sturdy from the surface and still be low quality.

I agree with the 2 above posts. You've got the Aisin, a known good quality brand that supplies the OEM's. I know without a doubt what I'd use.

umm, aren't they buying California big bridges from China and/or Korea? Pre fab, shipped mostly assembled, just put together like Ikea. Wouldn't like to throw that too far. Not o.e.m.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
The only thing I will say is stuff made in China can look good and feel sturdy from the surface and still be low quality.

Bingo!

This has OFTEN been my experience, at times Chinese stuff will "appear" to be better on the surface, but the overall performance is far worse.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Can I buy a new water pump that isn't made in China?

Probably. Is there a specific year/make/model you're looking for?

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Can I buy a new water pump that isn't made in China?

Yes, but it would be a reman.I would have an American reman over a new Chinese part, my personal preference.

That's weird and interesting about the Aisin pump, I have installed at least 10 in my life on both my Toyota, Honda and friend's cars. The ones I've seen have been practically works of art and are finely finished. I hope Aisin isn't going downhill as they have been my go-to for water pumps.

Sorry about hijacking this thread. Can anyone tell me how's the quality of Cardone Select waterpump that is made by Aisin? Are they any good?

My understanding is Aisin started making water pump in China as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back