Gates timing belt kit: Chinese-made water pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Gates timing belt replacement kit a while back, the one that comes with everything including a new water pump. Everything looks good but I wasn't too thrilled to see that the pump is made in China. That factoid is printed clearly on the box, not the pump itself, so Gates is being upfront about it. Kudos.

First let me say that I'm not immediately put off by Chinese-made products. Some stuff is fine by me like brake rotors and hard parts like that, but precision ball bearings are not something that the Chinese are known for. I'm sure the pump casting is fine as is the impeller, but what about the sealed bearings?

The original pump on my Subaru is not showing any signs of age or wear (noises or seeping), and I'm sure the OEM unit is a high-quality part. Subarus are not known for water pumps failing. Timing belt idlers, yes, but not their water pumps.

So my dilemma: Do I replace the still-working, OEM, high-quality pump after 12 years and 95k miles with an unknown part that could either work perfectly or fail miserably? Do I spend another $50-$75 on a known quality replacement unit and install that one instead? Do I just install the new pump and stop worrying about it?

Opinions?

I changed the belt on my Honda and kept the H2O pump. I think too many pumps are thrown away in the name of PM. I do my own maint so I only have myself to blame if the pump fails down the road.
YMMV

That's a tough call. I would not trust the china water pump to last as long as the used original. It wouldn't be worth the effort putting it on. I'm not saying this Gates pump will but some of the china pumps sometimes leak after you put coolant in and before you start the engine. I'd either leave the orginal on or replace it with a new OE pump. So that narrows it down to two choices. With the year and milage and difficulty in replacing the pump later on, I'd say the $75 for an OE pump would be money well spent.

This is why I'm not a huge fan of these Gates or Dayco kits. You don't really know what you're getting. When I did the timing belt on my girlfriend's Beetle, I bought a kit from a company that specializes in VW parts. I knew exactly what I'd be getting in the kit. It included a genuine VW belt and tensioner and a better than OE water pump from the brand Graf.

I agree with the OP and I would question the pump. It's actually a tough spot to be in. Do you drop an extra $50 on a name-brand pump, or risk the cheap replacement/original pump failing soon?

I guess it depends how big the job is. I don't own a Subaru, but on the Beetle the timing belt was a big job. I wouldn't skimp on the pump if it's a big job replacing it again.

In fact, I would consider returning the entire kit and buying the parts individually or a kit where you know exactly what parts you'll be getting.

Good luck, whichever way you decide to go.

BTW- what is the year/model/engine of the Subaru in question?

Last edited:
The gates water pumps have a very good record with me. I rarely see them come back. Now, the water pumps that are in the timing belt kits are not always the same pumps that you would buy out of the box separately.
However I've only seen a very small (like 3) in the last 4 years of the Gates t/b kit pumps having an issue.

When in doubt.. look for Aisan's kit.

Thanks for all of your input.

The Gates box has been opened and its contents fondled so there's no returning it to Rock Auto.
wink.gif
I'm happy with my purchase even though the parts are a mix of various known brands (GMB, NTN, Koyo, and something else that was Korean I think). The generic Chinese-made pump is the only thing I have a minor issue with. I just don't know if I'm over-thinking it.

I'm planning on owning the car for another three years or so, possibly replacing it within a year. If you did the math in my first post, my driving habits and commute don't put a lot of miles on it every year.

So one side of me is saying, 'Now's the time to do the job right regardless of how long you plan on keeping it', and the other is saying, 'What's in the box is certainly good enough for another few years so stop worrying'. I just don't know who to listen to. lol

So, if I go that route, who makes high-quality replacement water pumps for Asian cars? I'm going to assume a pump from the dealer won't be cheap enough to make it worthwhile in my case.

Looks like there's already a vote for Aisin. What about Bosch?

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
So, if I go that route, who makes high-quality replacement water pumps for Asian cars? I'm going to assume a pump from the dealer won't be cheap enough to make it worthwhile in my case.

Looks like there's already a vote for Aisin. What about Bosch?

What's the year/model/engine?

I was going to poke around and see what's available, but I don't know that info.

Go OE, your original lasted this long, why not trust another OE for the next 100k?

I wouldn't trust that Chinese pump as far as could throw the Golden Gate Bridge, fleabay it. Aisin or OEM, good chance the OEM is Aisin anyway. Very high quality!

Yeah, I'm starting to lean that way. Looks like I can get an Aisin pump online for a little over $40 so I might as well do so and help avoid a possible future issue. I might even be able to Craigslist this one for $20 or something.

Thanks to everyone for their input!

Since you're keeping the car for the forseeable future I'd spend a few extra bucks and get the OEM branded pump. Don't be pennywise pound foolish.

Always better to stick with OEM products and they don't have to be car marker branded, just the OEM manufacturer.

Well, I just spent the weekend changing the timing belt, h2o pump, thermostat, serp belt tensioner and all idler pullies on the Audi A6 over the weekend because the thermostat failed and stuck shut.

It was only 2 years old and had 22,000 miles on it. The water pump was also leaking.

Get this - the parts were OEM! I could see the VW/Audi imprinting on the thermostat as I boiled it and it stayed shut...

Originally Posted By: antonmnster
Well, I just spent the weekend changing the timing belt, h2o pump, thermostat, serp belt tensioner and all idler pullies on the Audi A6 over the weekend because the thermostat failed and stuck shut.

It was only 2 years old and had 22,000 miles on it. The water pump was also leaking.

Get this - the parts were OEM! I could see the VW/Audi imprinting on the thermostat as I boiled it and it stayed shut...

The car is STILL under warranty. Why would you perform service on it? The problem is that if you have ANOTHER issue the dealer could deny coverage.

FWIW, I wouldn't trust the pump. I've had a few Chinese water pumps start leaking, including the one on my personal car. I bought a name, thinking I'd be okay, and got burnt.

Brands that are good:

-OEM
-NPW (Nissin Pump Works)
-Aisin
-GMB

Obviously, you know where to find and OEM pump, but for OE caliber replacements, you can go to NAPA and have them search their Altrom line. <<<< They buy from OE suppliers. Also, there are always internet parts houses that specialize in the import of your choice and often times they will source a high quality OE or OE caliber part.

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
I changed the belt on my Honda and kept the H2O pump. I think too many pumps are thrown away in the name of PM. I do my own maint so I only have myself to blame if the pump fails down the road.
YMMV

My mom and dad both experienced having a WP fail halfway in the life of the second T-Belt, that is why I tell everyone to get a new WP during t-belt replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back