Gas station 10w-40 conventional

i do see the wisdom in carrying your own, fwiw. truthfully a 5w-40 like rotella would be perfect to allow me to run the same oil in the gto, tj, and k10, especially since the last two see a lot of winter use. i just kind of like the idea of being able to get whatever i want conveniently at a country gas station.

Cam 2 will
i do see the wisdom in carrying your own, fwiw. truthfully a 5w-40 like rotella would be perfect to allow me to run the same oil in the gto, tj, and k10, especially since the last two see a lot of winter use. i just kind of like the idea of being able to get whatever i want conveniently at a country gas station.
Honestly what I would do?

Rotella T6 5W40 from Walmart in Gallon Jugs. Buy a couple of sealed quarts if you can get them to take with you.

If you run out mix with whatever 15W-40 HDEO as long as it's CK-4 rated if you can't get by any autoparts, Walmart or Truckstop to pick up T6.

If you can't get that mix with any10W-40 SN or SP you can get.

If you can't get that get whatever 10W-30 or 5W-30 SP you can get.

Honestly I would be happier with 3 qt of T6 5W-40 and 2 qt of Havoline 5W-30 SP/GF-6A Blend in the sump than Motoroil 10W-40.

Reactions: SR5
Ammolab has given you some of the best suggestions available, yet you rejected them. Personally, I did not know there was an "Inside of a gas station" LMAOAY! All I have seen has been a pump handle, except at a Flying J's, or Pilot's!

"i do see the wisdom in carrying your own, fwiw. truthfully a 5w-40 like rotella would be perfect to allow me to run the same oil in the gto, tj, and k10, especially since the last two see a lot of winter use. i just kind of like the idea of being able to get whatever i want conveniently at a country gas station."

Well, then you see the light! stick with a HDEO.

Last edited:
On the rare occasions I had to go inside I have seen brand name oil on the shelf.

Now 50 years ago or so you got whatever was in the glass bottle.

Yeah these little gas stations in New Kent county west of me have a lot of good oils for sale.

Atkins store in Charles City county has a lot of oils and transmission fluid and coolants for sale. Reasonable prices given everything.

I have seen big time legit bad garbage oils in a few stores in my region. One Shell station in Hopewell had some garbage, in Wakefield a Sunoco station had some too, and the BP gas station just 2.5 miles west of had garbage oil too. Though that station got rid of the bad oils 3 to 4 years ago.

What I got today from a gas station in Lanexa west of me.

The dent in that corner is from me dropping this qt when I got home. World Champion.

They had three unopened cases of Cam2 Superpromax. Not put on the shelves yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20220211_203135883.jpg
    IMG_20220211_203135883.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 10
i am not opposed to checking my oil at home or carrying a quart or two, i am just curious about the availability of oil at gas stations since i like to go for long drives in remote areas. i don't think the question is all that controversial!

this place is nuts. i came here to ask about cheap 10w-40 conventional, and now I am trying to figure out whether I should use euro vs diesel 5w-40 full synthetic!
Neither, instead use a HDEO 15W40 that's API CK-4 rated, when you change your oil. This will be thicker with a heavy add pack.

Then when you top up at a gas station, select a PCMO 10W40 convention that's API SN or SP, in a brand that you recognise. This will be a bit thinner with a light add pack.

The rolling average will be just right.

Back