Gas-engine car with best mpg in USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's another take:

The car with the best fuel mileage -- assuming here that one is concerned with total cost per mile, the only true gauge of "economy" -- is the one that is paid for and well-maintained.

Gas mileage is irrelevant. A safe car (at LEAST 3500-lbs and over) driven moderately and maintained well is the answer. Not to mention, well-designed and well-built. One serious wreck in a crackerbox and you can tell us all about it as you tap out the post with a straw in your mouth.

Just search the EPA website for the nitpicking numbers.

I can pretty well guarantee that my 13.5 mpg around town, paid-for 2001 DODGE is cheaper to operate over the course of a year over the same miles than the vast majority of vehicles that age and newer that are on the road. How? I maintain them better in the first, and I am not (and never did) having to pay off a bank loan . . I just waited until I had the money to buy one. (Obviously, I had to find the right one to fit my needs; its age/miles/condition had to be right, as well as the price. The dummy who owned it first swallowed the payments and the operating costs for four years, and then compounded his problem of money flowing out of his pockets by going and buying another one that "got better gas mileage".)

Fuel mileage is only about 12% total annual cost of a vehicle. Do the numbers.

Do the numbers for your situation, and you'll find that there is plenty-good vehicle you've likely not even considered if you buy one used.

Buying new -- unless there is a tax advantage -- is throwing money away, that, if invested at an even modest rate of return will give far more "economy" than new and "highest mpg".

TanSedan, I couldn't agree more. Like finding those afforementioned fuel-efficient Geo's, a Saturn SL1 5speed will achieve 40+ MPG on the highway. A coworker sees 44MPG on his commute. 5-star safety rating, $4000 for the used car, and it's very easy on gas, how much easier on the pocket book can a car get?

^ This is so true. The OP did not specify new or used: only "available".

Lean-burning lightweight 90's cars aren't up to current smog standards but get much better mileage. Hmmm....

try finding a used Metro/Swift-none to be found-everybody that has one (or two-like me) is holding on to them. GM quite selling them in 00/01 because they weren't selling like they had been-now they probaly would. Oh well, glad I've got mine(as long as I don't hit anymore trees-eljefino-never even saw the tree, it was just pass the appex of the hill already down when I came over the top. The guy coming down flashed his hi's and of couse I flashed mine back in utter anger letting him know that my hi's were not on just as I lifted off for my 57ft flight!)

Toyota Echo. My son routinely gets 40 mpg in mixed driving. It has been dropped from the line-up for now but will be replaced with a 'Euro-designed' model in fall, probably based on the Yaris. The 1.5 liter VVT-i engine is one of the best made.

just bring the Canadian Echo to the states-no trunk-it's a hatchback in a 2 or 4 door verison. I like them better-their cute!! 40+++ mpg for less than 11thou!!

Here's a post from Saturnfans, just amazing this guys MPG:

"Hey Guys......top this, 499 miles(47mpg) in a 92 SL1-5 speed .I've done 49 fuel ups of 400 miles or greater but am stalled at 49 for nearly a year since putting on 185/70 tires,not sure if the 152,000 miles have a effect on mileage to drop me.
why did I stop at 499 miles....it was early morning in western Kansas but didn't want to cheat by driving the extra mile,believe it took 10.6 to fill up those 499 miles."

3500-lbs as a myth? Maybe someone can shoot it down, but I have yet to see another dividing line in terms of weight that makes sense.

Let's take a 2600-lb car and let it get t-boned by a 7000-lb 4WD one-ton pickemup, and a 4200-lb car otherwise reasonably identical except weight and size. One if those vehicles IS going to be better able to absorb the punishment.

The laws of physics have not been repealed.

The reason I added it in, is, if there is a small car better built than, say, the ubiquitous last quarter century VOLVO then I'd like to know what car that would be. 38 mpg is meaningless, as mentioned, if one is severely injured . . and yes, size/weight DO matter when all else is relatively equal.

Will the 38-mpg car last as long for as little money as the VOLVO? Will it ever have the crash and rollover protection?

$1000 in gasoline extra for the VOLVO per annum would be cheap compared to becoming disabled.

Then add in being able to drive the VOLVO over 20 years, past 300m versus maybe 200m and 13 years for the crackerbox and the mpg argument has become ludicrous.

Myth? I think not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back