Fancy cars with no gas in them.

Seems like 75% of the cars I work on are very low on gas. Usually 1/8 tank or less. I was supposed to test drive a Mercedes S500 yesterday. I was greeted with this

IMG_20240129_141544197.jpg

Fancy car, yes.

Expensive? No.

The depreciation on that car (and it’s a W220, made between 2000-2006) has been fierce- they’re worth less than 10% of their original price.

So they’re often bought by “posers” who want to look like they have money and are attracted to the low price, not realizing what they are getting into.

And then they find out that there is nothing more expensive to fix than a cheap Mercedes.

So, 90% chance that the owner of this car doesn’t actually have much money. They bought it cheap, don’t do the maintenance properly, and will complain about the cost of repair… 90%…

Last edited:
Car transporters prefer it this way, too much gas is a hazmat issue.
And a weight issue at the scales. According to one of the dealership managers at a VW dealership that I worked for the cars are put in a "transport " mode, meaning that they supposedly can't go over 20 mph. Two mechanics backed that up along with the truck driver. I'd never heard of this before. The truck driver said someone did steal a vehicle off of his truck once but didn't get far.

It's all because of the recent popularity of dashcam videos showing mechanics going joy riding in cars being repaired.😅 By bringing the car in low on gas, perhaps the owner is hoping they can keep the mechanic from going out on a long joy ride, in their pride and joy.;)

All kidding aside, I don't understand why people would regularly run their fuel level down so low. When my cars get below the 1/2 tank level, I'm looking for the next opportunity to top it off. Sometimes I will get down to 1/4 tank, but not often.

It boggles my mind when I see fancy or expensive cars that get no maintenance work as it's 'too expensive', last example - MB needed about $500 in brakes' job and was sold by owner as the job was too expensive... Many German cars with filthy rims as owner doesn't care to clean them off brake dust.

And a weight issue at the scales. According to one of the dealership managers at a VW dealership that I worked for the cars are put in a "transport " mode, meaning that they supposedly can't go over 20 mph. Two mechanics backed that up along with the truck driver. I'd never heard of this before. The truck driver said someone did steal a vehicle off of his truck once but didn't get far.
Don't know about VWs but when I bought my 17 Buick then my 19 Caddy and even my 24 wife's Yukon they were all in transport mode when I bought them. Dealer told me in transport mode the battery has less drain on them when sitting on the lot and they are supposed to leave it that way till sold, it never affected the speed while test driving them. When I go on vacation that is longer than 2 weeks(sometimes a month) I put my vehicle in transport mode when left at airport parking lot to save battery life so the computers don't all drain the battery. Even Onstar or XM is not activated fully until bought.

Last edited:
A lot of people like to stretch the limit. My dad seems like he is always on empty, and my sister has run out of gas 7 times... in a Jetta.
Sorry sis, can't come get you. You've run out of gas X times already (I'd start with 3 personally) and I'm not rescuing you from your own stupidity anymore. But I'm mean I guess.

I found this info on net for transport mode for GM cars so VW might be different.

Condition
Some customers may comment that there is a"Transport Mode On" message displayed in the DICand/or the red battery light is flashing. The transportmode is intended for use on vehicles being shippedover long distances, and includes vehicles shipped intoand outside of the United States and Canada.Some products will be shipped from the assembly plantwith the Transportation Mode On. The feature reducesthe electrical load on the battery when the vehicle isparked, which extends the battery stand time.To alert the operator that the mode is on, the red batterytelltale will be flashing and if equipped with a DIC, it willdisplay a Transport Mode On message. 24 hours aftertransport mode is turned on, with the vehicle Off, (withexception of 2015 Full-Size SUVs equipped with RPOAVF, and continuing in later model years without AVF)the key must be used to enter the vehicle, as thefollowing functions will be disabled: Passive Entry,Remote Keyless Entry, Content Theft. For 2015Full-Size SUVs (Cadillac Escalade models, ChevroletSuburban, Tahoe, GMC Yukon Models), with RPO AVF,and continuing in later model years without AVF; theRemote Keyless Entry function will remain enabledduring transport mode, allowing entry without a key.Exit lighting timers will function but will be reduced.Note: For PEPS vehicles in transportation mode, thekey fob will operate for the Start/Stop button, as long asthe fob is inside the vehicle.When the vehicle is running, the only difference inoperation will be the DIC Message and Battery Telltaleon. The Passive Entry and Remote Keyless Entryfunctions are restored with the ignition in run.The intent of the feature is to prolong battery standtime. The mode SHOULD be left on and it isrecommended to leave it on while the vehicle is indealer inventory. Also a customer may want to use themode if the vehicle is going to be stored. The method toturn the mode off is the same to turn the mode on.Refer to the section below for the method to turn themode off and on,

When the vehicle is running, the only difference inoperation will be the DIC Message and Battery Telltaleon. The Passive Entry and Remote Keyless Entryfunctions are restored with the ignition in run.The intent of the feature is to prolong battery standtime. The mode SHOULD be left on and it isrecommended to leave it on while the vehicle is indealer inventory. Also a customer may want to use themode if the vehicle is going to be stored. The method toturn the mode off is the same to turn the mode on.

I generally run my vehicles down to only a gallon or so left in them before fill up, especially my truck as I tend to run a mix of 87 octane and E85. But I also never run out of gas while driving either. For some people it seems like paying attention to the gauges doesn't exist.

Fancy car, yes.

Expensive? No.

The depreciation on that car (and it’s a W220, made between 2000-2006) has been fierce- they’re worth less than 10% of their original price.

So they’re often bought by “posers” who want to look like they have money and are attracted to the low price, not realizing what they are getting into.

And then they find out that there is nothing more expensive to fix than a cheap Mercedes.

So, 90% chance that the owner of this car doesn’t actually have much money. They bought it cheap, don’t do the maintenance properly, and will complain about the cost of repair… 90%…
OK, That explains it. I been asking myself how do all of these young teen looking guys and even some young girls all have these
Mercedes cars? They are always at the gas stations and I see them and think "they look young enough to still be in high school."
I imagine the sellers do any deal at all (cheap lease?) to get anyone to take them off the lot. They could care less if that car gets turned back in to the lender as soon as they find out it cost too much to fix or they get tired of the cost of insurance and fuel.

Back