Fancy cars with no gas in them.

The other reason I've done it is I'm going into Chicago. I'd rather fill up south of I80 than pay the even higher prices in Chicagoland.

A stop at Wally's in Pontiac usually does the trick. It's Buc'ees on the 5/8ths scale, LOL

There's a BP just south of i55/Central that has prices equal to suburb prices in an emergency as well.

IFTA, the fuel tax attached to fuel purchases, is a major factor in trucking. It can play a major factor in the bottom line. Fuel that costs 25c more per gallon at the pump can be less expensive once fuel taxes are factored in. Price versus cost, or whose $20 is that? An article on an expediting website 15 years or so ago that explained why the price on the sign was meaningless and the net cost was all that mattered. I never had over a $50 quarterly IFTA bill while most guys I knew owed a few to several hundred dollars. It doesn't apply to any non-commercial vehicles and small commercial trucks but is interesting for the bigger ones.

I get cars in the shop frequently with low gas. No correlation between types of cars, see it on AMG's, M6's and Corrollas etc. The problem it causes me at times is that there are a lot of IM tests and codes that don't run when a car is below 1/4 or above 3/4 tank so I will have to drive and get some gas to move the needle where I can verify my repairs. I charge $5 a gallon for my time and inconvenience. If I need to test drive a vehicle for other issues where fuel level does not matter - I will but I won't add any gas. Have had a few customers in total fear that would not make the gas station that is about 5 miles from the shop when they pick up their car. I also say well you passed it coming here with the low fuel light on so...

Yesterday morning.

IMG_20240202_142938932.jpg

I don't own a fancy car, but when the gas gauge on my cars go below 1/2 mark, I fill up. E10 is 10% ethyl alcohol, which absorbs water from the air in the tank. The less air in the tank, the less water the fuel will be absorbing.

It boggles my mind when I see fancy or expensive cars that get no maintenance work as it's 'too expensive', last example - MB needed about $500 in brakes' job and was sold by owner as the job was too expensive... Many German cars with filthy rims as owner doesn't care to clean them off brake dust.
The work part of it is stupid overextended folks I’m sure.

The dust? Many euro pad compounds blacken the wheels just going around the block. Work great but dirty as can be.

I see this a lot as well, even with the low fuel light on. Some diagnostic tests (I/M monitors) won't run at a 1/4 or less or 3/4 or more so I need the fuel level above 1/4 at minimum to verify certain repairs so I have to put gas in and add that to the bill. Sometimes I will take a short drive to verify repairs and let it idle some just to use up the little gas they have and see if they make it to the nearest gas station (8 miles) when they pick up lol.

Back