Garage floor epoxy, your experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Reddy45
.....Although I remember that Garage Journal was in a craze over using actual porcelain tile in garages because it's very dense and strong.

I like it, and I would do it. My problem is cost. It's not a project that I would want to do myself. And my garage floor is 22 years old. (It doesn't have any big oil stains). But the prep work is very time consuming and labor intensive if it's done correctly. So the cost per sq. ft. can get really expensive. I heard of one guy, who after getting a quote, found out he could lay ceramic tile cheaper by purchasing the tile at a closeout at a flooring discount center, and doing the work himself. (He laid the classic black and white checkerboard pattern).

How much can one expect to pay per sq. ft. to have this type of coating professionally done?
Commercially I see quite a bit of epoxy flooring. My preferred contractor runs $5-8 per sq ft with union labor. That's for full prep and a full flake floor, total flooring thickness is between 1/8 and 3/16 when they're done.

I would pay to have the best of the people do the job. I have seen jobs look terrible by do it your selfers and pro jobs that look impressive.

Last edited:
Really would like to epoxy my garage floor, Does anyone have any recommendations on certain products/kits? I have watched a few youtube videos, but any pointers would be appreciated.

Seems like a nice little weekend project!
I don't think they're worth it. If you do any "real work" in your garage, they tend to chip and stain. Even the professional ones.

Correct. I have even seen jack stands cause epoxy to chip or peel.

While I didn’t have a problem with jack stands, but it was only my little Mazda 3 that had its full weight on them. For my minivan I always had some weight on my floor jack, as I was doing only oil changes.

However, in my current house, it did chip from my motorcycle’s center stand. I park it on a milk carton now.

These coatings look great for a while but in regions with cold winters they tend to not hold up as well. Concrete does expand and contract and that has to affect the coating plus the exposure to winter road chemicals.

Up here in the Seattle region every garage floor I’ve seen with this has eventually deteriorated and it happens within a few years.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Best thing I ever did on my new home. Durable like no tomorrow too. Grind the floor, then use Polyaspartic epoxy.
Polyaspartic is supposed to be "better" than traditional epoxy options. How much better, I don't know, but I was getting quotes of $3K (or more) for a standard 2 car garage.

Polyaspartic is supposed to be "better" than traditional epoxy options. How much better, I don't know, but I was getting quotes of $3K (or more) for a standard 2 car garage.
The quotes I am getting right now are ~$5 a sq foot
so for my 40 x 60 floor I'm at $2400

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back