Garage Door Spring Snapped!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks to be working well. I need to do a full lube job on my garage doors too.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Looks to be working well. I need to do a full lube job on my garage doors too.

I couldn't believe the difference. We just moved in, so I have no idea how long ago everything was lubed. Unfortunately, it looks like the previous owner lathered the tracks and wheels with some thick, brown grease. I wiped as much off as I could, along with using silicone spray to lube everything.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I would agree with being careful and using the right tools.

Just like changing struts on a car. Use a good spring compressor, take your time and be cautious and you'll be fine.

Ditto with torsion spring. Get the right tools. Don't try to use a pair of screwdrivers. Spend the $10 for the bars. I think I spent an hour or so researching and watching videos before I tried it myself.

Had my adult son in the garage with me watching in case I did something stupid and needed someone to call 911.

Took me about an hour to do it, maybe a bit more as I was taking my time.

One has to be cautious, but if you work on your car, putting it up on ramps or jackstands, I don't see this as any more risky.

Just don't take shortcuts with safety.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: kschachn
I disagree with the extreme danger factor on torsion spring replacement. I've done it on five doors now, it does make a difference how heavy the door is but still you're not on the hairy edge of disaster or injury even when it's a relatively heavy door.

Tensioning the twist is tricky... I use two pieces of re-bar and leapfrog from hole to hole.

It's just something you have to be very careful when doing.
I've done a few of these. Common sense and patience are key. I draw a line across w/ a grease pencil, and then can count the number of turns on each spring so as to keep them balanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back