Garage door repair

Long story short. Blew up my garage door the other day. It was inadvertently locked. Not completely locked but enough to push the locking rods into the side rails. When I went to open the door it bent 2 panels before it finally popped open. First estimate $3700 for a new door. Second estimate $2700 for a new everything. Torsion bar rather than extension springs, new rails the whole bit. It pays to shop around, the door is circa 2003. They’ll be here August 8. Done deal. I’m ok with all this. Just thought I’d throw it out there.

it always pays $$$ to compare pricing especially on costlier stuff! never installed one until i finally got a garage built, mostly me but the block work that 2 union pros quickly laid in 3 days, 28X32 12' high from the footer, installation of the commercial doors were pretty simple for one person as the individual panels just stacked up + dimples for many screw locations, i enjoy new projects + the second door went twice as fast! no auto lift as the torsion spring allows EXE lifting even for my girlfriend 74 YO like me now, but built the garage about 15 years ago, best $$$$ i ever spent

Long story short. Blew up my garage door the other day. It was inadvertently locked. Not completely locked but enough to push the locking rods into the side rails. When I went to open the door it bent 2 panels before it finally popped open. First estimate $3700 for a new door. Second estimate $2700 for a new everything. Torsion bar rather than extension springs, new rails the whole bit. It pays to shop around, the door is circa 2003. They’ll be here August 8. Done deal. I’m ok with all this. Just thought I’d throw it out there.
Single or double? Door height? Insulated? Just curious.

First estimate $3700 for a new door. Second estimate $2700 for a new everything. Torsion bar rather than extension springs, new rails the whole bit. It pays to shop around, the door is circa 2003. They’ll be here August 8. Done deal. I’m ok with all this.

I'm sorry but you shouldn't be OK with $2,700 for a new door. I had BOTH of my garage doors replaced, (double and single), with FULLY INSULATED DOORS, with all new hardware and tracks for $1,650.

And that was for a double coil spring on the double door. The original was only a single spring.

The first guy wanted to charge me $2,500 for just replacing the double door. And that was for a bare bones non insulated door. Do more shopping around. When the first guy was leaving, he told me that if I found anyone cheaper, to call him back and he would match it or beat it.

That told me right there he was screwing me over for all he could get. Garage doors are very competitive. Stay away from big chain places that do a lot of advertising. They're the worst. Look for local independant guys with small operations. They'll do a better job, and give you a much better price.

Tip for those when you shop a garage door or having a home built:

You can opt for higher cycles springs, better hardware like heavy duty hinges, heavy duty rollers, quiet rollers, wind code options like Minnesota or Florida.. I'm having a new home built and specified a Clopay 18'X8' with the high cycles springs, heavy duty hardware and Minnesota wind code, despite living in Ohio.

Also having a wall mounted door opener which has to be wired there and also in the middle of the garage ceiling. The ceiling for the garage light which receives a bluetooth signal from the opener or opener button to turn it on/off.

Single or double? Door height? Insulated? Just curious.
Curious is good. Door is 16”x7. Obviously a double. I’ve lived in three homes since 1974. Never a penny spent on garage doors. Expensive? Yes. A deal breaker at this point in my life? Not really. I’ve been thru 4 estimates in the past month and these guys were the the cheapest that actually showed up. Wealth accumulation is over at this point (71 years). Just need a garage door that works when the ambulance backs up to it.🚑. 48 years x 12 months = 576. $2700 divided by 576 = $4.68 a month over the last half century .
I'm sorry but you shouldn't be OK with $2,700 for a new door. I had BOTH of my garage doors replaced, (double and single), with FULLY INSULATED DOORS, with all new hardware and tracks for $1,650.

And that was for a double coil spring on the double door. The original was only a single spring.

The first guy wanted to charge me $2,500 for just replacing the double door. And that was for a bare bones non insulated door. Do more shopping around. When the first guy was leaving, he told me that if I found anyone cheaper, to call him back and he would match it or beat it.

That told me right there he was screwing me over for all he could get. Garage doors are very competitive. Stay away from big chain places that do a lot of advertising. They're the worst. Look for local independant guys with small operations. They'll do a better job, and give you a much better price.

I’m ok with that.

Back