$795 for Garage Door repair.

Hermann

Site Donor 2023
Don't know if this goes in this forum, although it is about a door the truck goes thru.

Anywho, Last evening at 5:30 went to leave and the pulley and cable failed. SOL on a Saturday evening. I called a Garage door company. They did the work this morning. The work performed was everything except springs and a new opener. Their parts prices include labor. Probably could have done better, the tech was through and explained things, plus answered all my queries and concerns.

Works smoothly now. Invoice below.
20231022_121503.jpg

Last edited:
How much was the adder/premium for Sunday service ? No invoice is shown/attached.

I ordered larger wire diameter and longer length garage door springs on Amazon. (that's the secret to long life) Same lifting power, 10,000 more cycles. Did it myself. Was relatively easy, and I saved probably $400, also avoided having someone install the homeowner grade springs I had before.

I always DIY garage door stuff. Replaced the rollers a couple years ago, all 10 were $20 from ebay. Opener died 2 years ago, $99 Chamberlain and I was back in business, even came with a $40 coupon for Amazon if I enrolled in their "Key" delivery that allows the delivery driver to open the door and put the package inside.

I'm waiting on a spring to break, I think they're original to the house.

I always DIY garage door stuff. Replaced the rollers a couple years ago, all 10 were $20 from ebay. Opener died 2 years ago, $99 Chamberlain and I was back in business, even came with a $40 coupon for Amazon if I enrolled in their "Key" delivery that allows the delivery driver to open the door and put the package inside.

I'm waiting on a spring to break, I think they're original to the house.
Since I hurt my dominant hand last Easter Sunday I am not handy in the least. Getting better but taking a while .

I ordered larger wire diameter and longer length garage door springs on Amazon. (that's the secret to long life) Same lifting power, 10,000 more cycles. Did it myself. Was relatively easy, and I saved probably $400, also avoided having someone install the homeowner grade springs I had before.
Any links to the garage door springs and wire you bought? I don't know what is on mine but it was here when I bought the house 11 years ago. Manual opening and getting heavier, electric opener is disconnected currently.

Info for anyone having needing new garage door(s) or door springs. I had a home built last year with a 18X8 and a 9X8 Clopay insulated garage doors.

I was able to option for high cycle springs, heavy duty hardware and wind struts. The better springs and hardware added cost but the standard hinges are 18 gauge vs 14 gauge, quiet ball bearing wheels and 20K cycle springs vs the standard 10K cycle.

I highly recommended replacing a broken spring with a high cycle spring(s) if you plan on staying in the home for years.

28 years it was time for new cables, rollers and pulleys.
One would think this to be the case but I will report that I'm all but certain mine are still original in a house built in the late 1950's.

I have replaced a couple of springs as they did break. I learned they didn't install safety cables in the old springs (when I heard a loud noise and found the spring shot across the garage) so safety cables are now installed.

Back