Garage door won't open- Wife said she heard a loud noise last night- this is what I found

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Went to open the garage door this morning and head to pull a part. Garage door would not open. Released the automatic opener, door would not manually open.

This is what I found. Looks like the left spring broke. For a change, I think this is best done by a garage door technician instead of myself.

PXL_20220219_134305721.jpg
PXL_20220219_134312033.jpg

Same thing happened to my garage door's left (as you face the closed door from outside) spring.

My style is the more accessible, non-preloaded type of "stretch" spring. Hey, they sell 'em in different weight capacities in Home Depot.
I was surprised.

had that happen with the extension springs, they do make some noise when they let go

It's amazing how long a garage door lasts considering how many cycles they go through.

Agreed, a PITA issue.

I've tensioned these springs before. It all comes down to how comfortable you feel doing this.

I wouldn't recommend doing this if you're tired, rushed, in a bad mood, or don't have the proper tools.

I recently added a few turns to one of my garage door springs as I have a jackshaft opener on that door and it was pretty slow and the door was out of balance.

It is an 18x8 thick insulated door, so it’s heavy and needs a lot of twist. It’s also on a high lift track so the spring is about 12’ off the ground. I was nervous as heck hearing that spring creak while up on the ladder trying to stay out of the way of the winding bars. Next time I’ll pay someone!

always on a weekend when no one is open... :mad:

I do this stuff myself because I hate paying for things I can do. I realize at some point I will change this strategy, but not yet...

just my $0.02

Zee...Where did you get the powder coated springs from and did you install them yourself?

My local door dealer sold me the package- coated springs and rails and rollers.
Gave me a lifetime warranty on the doors and openers too. Next time I get back there I will see if it has a maker's tag.
(Wasn't expensive really) It has been 11 years.

It's at my other house but can PM you as I have all the booklets.
Funny I set them up that day and we have used them for decades, but the new installer was a Lexus dealership
mechanic but work was slow in 2011 so he got laid off. True!

PM-DM sent...

Last edited:
Same side of mine let go and I replaced them myself. Most important thing is to get the right rated springs and opt for the heavy duty cycle ones if the are available. Also replace both sides at the same time.

This happened to us a few years back and we paid an installer to put in a double spring. No matter how many youtube DIY videos you watch or chest pounders who say how easy it is, this is an extremely dangerous installation. You are not saving hardly a dime doing it yourself anyway when you factor in the labor.

GON, I did the same thing Zee did. Get the powder coated springs if you can. If your rollers are in good shape, you can forego replacing those.....but the coated springs all seem to have longer life cycle durations.

Same thing happened to my garage door's left (as you face the closed door from outside) spring.

My style is the more accessible, non-preloaded type of "stretch" spring. Hey, they sell 'em in different weight capacities in Home Depot.
I was surprised.
My parents garage had those style springs. When I was younger my dad and I were leaving the garage and hit the button to close it, as soon as the door touched the ground one of the springs snapped and ripped a hole in the ceiling!

Back