Garage Door Openers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any recommendations for a decent garage door opener? Ours but the dust, so it's time for a new one. We have a 16x8 foot door, so we need something a little more than the cheap 1/2 - 3/4 HP models the big box stores sell.

This one at HD seems to get great reviews, but I'm not sure if there's something better out there for the money. This would require the extra extension kit for our door, so it would be $300. We don't really need the extra features like battery backup or smartphone operation.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Chamberlain-1-2...30EV/203951235/

KD, what type of door opener? Some of them can be fixed pretty easily with a new nylon gear set.

LiftMaster 8500

Does not mount in the center of door.
If you have torsion springs over the door, this is what you want.

This is the best Garage Door Opener I have ever seen.
I installed it myself 6 Months ago.
Even today, I like to watch it open & close.

Thank me after you buy one.

I like the Genie brand of screw-drive openers myself. I own two of them that are cycled several times every day and they have worked flawlessly for many years.

The open/close stop adjustments on the Genies are very easy to set and they stay set, unlike the chain-drive Chamberlains that I used to have that would occasionally lose their set positions and require re-adjustment.

I've never tried a belt drive opener so I can't offer an opinion on those.

I have worked with chain, tape (Genie made a tape-drive opener in the 80's), screw, and belt. I like belt the best. It the cleanest and quietest of the drive systems I have observed.

I used to like the screw drives best but now have a belt drive and am thinking they are they way to go. No lubrication of the screw or any maintenance really required. They are even quieter than the screw drive as well. I am sure the belt eventually wears out or breaks but not sure how long that will be.

I've had my belt drive Chamberlain installed for ten years and the belt is still fine. It makes me think of a long, thin timing belt from a car. It's a cog belt. In its current environment I would expect it to last decades.

Originally Posted By: JTK
KD, what type of door opener? Some of them can be fixed pretty easily with a new nylon gear set.

The current opener is a Liftmaster "Formula 1" belt drive model. Assuming it was installed when the house was built, (2004) it's about 10 years old. We've been here about 2.5 years. It isn't a problem with the gears, it has some sort of electrical problem.

We actually have 2 of these openers. I've actually considered just moving the other one to the big door and operating the small door manually.

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
LiftMaster 8500

Does not mount in the center of door.
If you have torsion springs over the door, this is what you want.

This is the best Garage Door Opener I have ever seen.
I installed it myself 6 Months ago.
Even today, I like to watch it open & close.

Thank me after you buy one.

Thanks,I'll definitely look into one of those. Looks like the price is comparable to the Chamberlain one at HD.

People talk about Belt, Chain or Screw Drive.
I've had them all. Expect 10 years from any.

The LiftMaster 8500 has none of those drives.
It attaches to the steel bar that goes thru the torsion springs.

Totally quiet. The door/rollers make the most noise.
You also don't have any forces pulling on the center of door to lift.

Last edited:
After looking at the 8500 mentioned above I agree. It's more money, but looks to be worth it. When it comes time to replace mine again that's what I'll buy. So much simpler!

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
After looking at the 8500 mentioned above I agree. It's more money, but looks to be worth it. When it comes time to replace mine again that's what I'll buy. So much simpler!

Yep,I think it's a no brainer. It's not even that much more money. The one I posted the link to above would be $300 after buying the opener and the extension kit for an 8 foot door. Looks like I can get the Liftmaster 8500 on Amazon for $325 with free shipping.

Suggestion for any Installation.

Years ago I was installing a regular type opener (mounts in center of door).
When attempting to fasten the wires, they give you 'small' staples.
I kept hitting my fingers with the hammer.

Solution: I went to the Hardware Store and bought 25 eye-hooks.
I had to open them up to be able to slid the wire into the eye.
Screwed them in every 2-3 feet.
Ran the wiring along and thru each eye-hook (attach with small cable tie).

Boy, did this make the replacement opener easier to install.

Look what the UPS guy just dropped off. Guess I have a little project for tomorrow.
smile.gif

2 weeks later I finally have this install finished. I haven't had much spare time, so I've just been tinkering with it whenever I had a chance. It was actually quite easy to install. Just wanted to say thanks for recommending this opener. It's definitely much better than any of the traditional ceiling mounted openers.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back