GAC may be coming to America?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by littlehulkster
Just want to point out that the Chinese have a space program.

Compared to that, building a good car is a pretty minor task.

The issue is not one of CAN they, but if it would even be worth it for them to do so. Even if they built a car that was competitive with everything else, would anyone buy it given the Made in China reputation? Probably not. So, the solution is to go cheap and hope that entices buyers, while offering enough quality that people think they got a good value for what they paid.......

Don't count the Chinese out here. They're not stupid people, nor are they incapable. It won't happen tomorrow, but in 20 years we may well be driving Chinese cars ourselves. Especially given that they're pushing very hard on electric cars, which are probably the future.

I agree that they'll need some sort of competitive advantage to enter the US market, but I'm not sure attacking the low end makes sense. They understand that economy cars are not where the margins exist. I think your right about the electric angle, though. In 5 to 10 years they're going to be way ahead of the US in the electric car front. While we're going to be complaining about "gubmint tax credits", coming up with specious arguments and naval gazing about the viability of electric cars, they're going to invest in improving them. In another few years they'll likely be ahead of us.

I also think the comparisons to Chery are way off base. These are totally different companies, at a totally different point in time. I think it's just a matter of "when", not "if".

Originally Posted by wag123
Originally Posted by csandste
I suspect GAC may be running American factories in five years.

If the US Government slaps large protectionist tariffs on Chinese auto imports, like they did to the Japanese in 1981, you can count on it. As a result, the very first thing that the Japanese auto manufacturers did in the 1980s was to start manufacturing vehicles here. The same thing happened with motorcycles.

The Chinese are already building buses here. BYD has made inroads with a few transit agencies with an "affordable" BEV bus that isn't an alpha/beta stages. They have a plant in Lancaster, even though a BYD bus is a CKD shell from China they are buying American components to make them Buy America compliant.

One thing in BYD's credit - they've brought lithium iron phosphate chemistry to market - which is theoretically safer than the current Li-Ion/LiPo chemistry Samsung/LG/Panasonic is supplying to BMW, GM, Hyundai, Toyota and Tesla. I think A123 systems followed suit afterwards.

http://en.byd.com/usa/about/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back