G37x Rear Ended - Repaired

Status
Not open for further replies.
So back in mid October, I was rear ended in TX while visiting my mom. Kid had no license, but parent had insurance on their 2000 Grand Vitara.

Here's what my Infiniti looked like:

After almost three weeks, Farmers accepted liability for their driver.

Took it in to Caliber Collision here in Colorado Springs, and they provided continual updates on the work progress.

Finally got my car back yesterday (Friday), and I'm very happy with their work.

Total repair cost: $9,000

Total for car rental: $1,500

All paid by their insurance (Farmers)

8745AEAB-F4CB-4F03-8AF0-8D6A45E81002.jpeg

16D0FD77-870E-4283-BBF3-315B4B78B913.jpeg

201DDC25-1AA5-4F9B-BEB5-63E72A7F5915.jpeg

1EE4586A-70E2-4981-A43B-A7C068230E2F.jpeg

C1B821F6-8711-4728-923E-6B99E1DCBB27.jpeg

F7E3149F-CA0D-4199-90A0-6A2B7CBB8735.jpeg

C916708B-AE07-4B51-AC0C-50E2D12565B2.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks good.

My aunt was rear-ended a year ago in her 16' Avalon, $9k-$10k in damage, the Toyota dealer had 2 shots to repair it and did a TERRIBLE job fixing it. And I mean terrible.

Ended up taking it to Caliber Collision here to have them fix the dealer's mistakes. They did a good job.

Caliber went beyond what I expected.

All sub panels and panels are OEM NEW, bumper is aftermarket, and trunk is used from a donor G37 as is the right rear brake light.

I dropped it off on 12 November and picked it up on 21 December.

They caught issues they weren't happy with, kept me informed, and did what they had to do.

Overall, I'm quite pleased.

A Question in regards to quality of repair work...... Refer to the areas in which the new rear panel was welded to existing sheet metal.....can those welded areas become prone to rust in the rust belt regions due to bare metal on the back side of the welds? Seems there is no way to put a primer coat on the back sides of the areas in which this car saw welds.

Love these pics. Trunk gap looks a hair off to me but you know you're own car better than me.

Originally Posted by Geauxtiger
A Question in regards to quality of repair work...... Refer to the areas in which the new rear panel was welded to existing sheet metal.....can those welded areas become prone to rust in the rust belt regions due to bare metal on the back side of the welds? Seems there is no way to put a primer coat on the back sides of the areas in which this car saw welds.

It can become a spot for corrosion to start of course. Any place factory coatings are disturbed can. However proper repair techniques should protect it, things like weldable primers and cavity coatings.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/collision-repair-us/applications/corrosion-protection/

Originally Posted by Geauxtiger

You use a cavity wax, aka, rust proofing to coat the inside of the metal. It is sprayed in and coats all the bare metal.

DuckRyder, 2010Civic, Thanks for the schooling re:re-establishing corrosion protection after body repairs. I lernt something new today. Thanks!

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
I think I would make a lost value claim to Farmers as well, if you ever try to sell it or trade it in, you'll take a pretty sizable Carfax hit.

Yes, you should be making a diminished value claim. There are firms that help with this but I was able to easily do it on my own. This is the compensation you are owed for value reduction to your repaired car. Only paid by someone's else liability, like this, not when you have an at-fault collision yourself. I would expect $2000+ based on cost of repair without even knowing your year and mileage.

As said and I agree please make a diminished value claim. They will fight you on it but when you sell the car or get in another wreck you will get less due to this.

Repairs look like they were done properly. Question, and it's certainly not a critcism, why did they use some secondhand and aftermarket parts on a 5 year old car?

All,

Thanks for you input, opinions, and expertise in this.

As far as corrosion prevention, please see the attached itemized list of services completed. A corrosion protection primer was used. I have a snake camera at home that I'll try to wiggle in behind the door frame to find out if it was applied.

Why the use of secondhand and aftermarket parts; I do not know. I'm ok with the bumper being aftermarket, but all other body parts are OEM...though a used trunk may be a gray area.

Trunk seams look equal to me between untouched and repaired sides.

Diminished value claim; yes, I'll look into it and see how I can file with Farmers. Thanks for that tip.

I bought the car from Carmax February 2017 with 20,000 miles, and it now has 32,000. Like most of my cars, I plan to drive them until they die. My dad taught me how to work on them and do what I can before calling for a tow truck. The 2004 Sequoia with 150,000 shows no signs of slowing down, and I plan the same for the 2016 Sequoia and the just repaired 2013 Infiniti.

Oil, filters, trans services, brakes, timing belts, etc..., I'll give it a shot before throwing in the towel. Like minded folks on here really motivate me, even though I don't post that often.

The rear window. Yes, it was removed due to the body work required and reinstalled.

Thanks all.

7FA598DF-FF7E-41D5-83D7-E577B8DC7105.jpeg

Last edited:
I forgot to add this picture of my son helping me tape the bumper and cracked tail lamp for the drive back to Colorado from Texas.

My son called it the "ghetto luxury car."

697A5B30-8F2D-4BDC-AC78-5A1435B95376.jpeg

Originally Posted by El_Vato
All,

Thanks for you input, opinions, and expertise in this.

As far as corrosion prevention, please see the attached itemized list of services completed. A corrosion protection primer was used. I have a snake camera at home that I'll try to wiggle in behind the door frame to find out if it was applied.

Why the use of secondhand and aftermarket parts; I do not know. I'm ok with the bumper being aftermarket, but all other body parts are OEM...though a used trunk may be a gray area.

Trunk seams look equal to me between untouched and repaired sides.

Diminished value claim; yes, I'll look into it and see how I can file with Farmers. Thanks for that tip.

I bought the car from Carmax February 2017 with 20,000 miles, and it now has 32,000. Like most of my cars, I plan to drive them until they die. My dad taught me how to work on them and do what I can before calling for a tow truck. The 2004 Sequoia with 150,000 shows no signs of slowing down, and I plan the same for the 2016 Sequoia and the just repaired 2013 Infiniti.

Oil, filters, trans services, brakes, timing belts, etc..., I'll give it a shot before throwing in the towel. Like minded folks on here really motivate me, even though I don't post that often.

The rear window. Yes, it was removed due to the body work required and reinstalled.

Thanks all.

Unless you are going thru your own policy and have the OEM endorsement, many (but not all) insurance companies will use aftermarket on cars that are older than one model year.

I noticed in your photo that the labor rate was $50/hr. Out here, it is $80-$95/hr for body shops. If the same accident occurred out here, I think the car may have been totaled due to the cost of repair.

Originally Posted by El_Vato
I went through the at fault drivers insurance.

Attached is the full bill out.

Have you made the diminished value claim yet? Any word from them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back