G17 Decisions

Just curious, what ammunition did they issue with the G17s? And will the department keep the same series of ammunition when switching to the G21s?
Federal Tactical HST (Can't remember what weight bullet), no idea what the new round will be.

I would buy it in a heartbeat. What kind of night sights? I have 2 17s, a Gen 3 RTF2 and a Gen 3 OD both with Trijicon sights. The Gen 4s aren't approved in CA yet

They are whatever Glock uses for their Glock branded sights. Meprolite I think was who made them for them. Could be wrong on that. I've been using their 'factory' NS's across the board, they do a good job for me.

At $400 I’d buy it for sure if it were me.
Quick Google search located a G43 near me.. the thread about a G17 has me wondering if the smaller frame G43 is something that should enter the conversation.

They wanted $500 for it.

10610595.jpeg

Not that I'm aware of, just going to G21's.
That’s surprising. Why are they doing that?

Im not arguing either for or against. Just curious, because most agencies are going to 9mm from .40 these days.

I figured the agencies that already used .45 or .357 SIG had decided to stay with those calibers.

I know Tennessee Highway Patrol‘s duty pistol is the G31.

That’s surprising. Why are they doing that?

Im not arguing either for or against. Just curious, because most agencies are going to 9mm from .40 these days.

I figured the agencies that already used .45 or .357 SIG had decided to stay with those calibers.

I know Tennessee Highway Patrol‘s duty pistol is the G31.

From what I understand it was mostly based on a recent shooting near here. Not 100% sure of the details, but from what I understand, the dude took many 9mm rounds including 1 to the head, and didn't stop. Now, on the other hand, I also heard that the majority of those rounds were to his pelvic area and the headshot was on the edge of his head and didn't penetrate. So.....whatever, that's not convincing to me, but I'm not the boss....sooooo.

Still a debate that will go on forever. I'm still of the opinion it doesn't really matter, and I'll shoot whatever they give me.

New ones are available and retail online for low-mid $4xx so asking $500 for a pre-owned one is a bit of a stretch.
Yes, is as you say.. $450 new, Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's.. it may have had accessories etc but I glanced at it for about 10 seconds in what I posted.

I also forgot a Glock 26 exists, sort of between a 43 and 19.

Kinda depends on what you want it for. A 43 is good for concealed carry but would be no fun for a range plinker. Same for the 26. But a 48 or a 19 would be good for either.

Regardless, nice to have choices.

Sell it. A conversion barrel is cheaper.
I'm saving up for this;

You can buy this and get NS later;

Last edited:
I’ve bought all my duty guns even though I’ve never like the guns I’ve been forced to carry because I figured my kids would some day like to have one of dad’s duty guns. However, my decisions have been easier as the deal my department gave me were all better than what yours is giving you. You do you.

Back