G17 Decisions

Our agency is switching duty firearms and is offering to let us buy our Gen4 G17's with factory night sights for what works out to about $400 (Tax Included), which is about $90 cheaper than 'Blue Label' ($455 + tax) price.

Thing is, all my personal Glocks are .40, although I have conversion barrels for 2 of them to shoot 9mm if I'd like. I need another gun like I need a hole in my foot, but.....

Grrr, decisions.

I would buy it for that price. Good gun. Easy enough to sell (likely at a slight profit) if you decide you don't like it.

My rationale - having different calibers allows you to shoot when ammunition is in short supply. That's been true for nearly two years, now, and having an identical (save caliber) gun would be an advantage, should things get even more constrained.

Two is one, one is none. I fell in love with Glock when I shot my 19x. Besides my M&P .40 (converted to 9mm) its the most accurate easy handling pistol I've shot.
Make it a custom and get a trigger enhancement kit from apex tactical! Custom triggers are super fun and help dramatically with accuracy.

https://www.apextactical.com/
I already have 5 others, so this would be #6.

As for the triggers, only on fun guns, not on my tools. The G35 and G24C both have trigger mods, everything else is stock.

I figured this would be a fun gun not a cc.

I try and grab my pistols when they're available and reasonably priced. So about four years ago I purchased a gun a month from overtime. Wife left me recently and left me high, dry, and broke. I was kinda forced to sell a bunch to make ends meet, and I got substantially more than I paid.

If you can get that gun, at that price, go for it! If you decide to sell it later on, you should be in good shape.

I already have 5 others, so this would be #6.

As for the triggers, only on fun guns, not on my tools. The G35 and G24C both have trigger mods, everything else is stock.
I found this out several years ago. Had a well-regarded modified trigger system put on my old G19, went from 100% reliable to a complete mess. Changed it back to stock after a few months and 1K+ rounds of constant headache.
Luckily it was not on my HD setup.

I would buy it for that price. Good gun. Easy enough to sell (likely at a slight profit) if you decide you don't like it.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

For $4 bills you really can't go wrong. Glock's are a staple in the firearms world. For every person who doesn't like them, there are at least a dozen or more who do. You would have no trouble unloading that gun for $450.00+.... Perhaps more in today's crazy world of shortages, panic, and high prices.

the value, unless its in exc condition is really just sentimental unless its agency marked. $400 is not a bad deal .but its not really that great. ifs it all beat up like many of the leo trade in guns i have seen in the past, the value will be what condition its in .

the value, unless its in exc condition is really just sentimental unless its agency marked. $400 is not a bad deal .but its not really that great. ifs it all beat up like many of the leo trade in guns i have seen in the past, the value will be what condition its in .
Under 200 rounds and they were issued to us brand new, so it is in excellent shape.

Thinking of it, it might be under 100 rounds. I've shot 2 qualifying courses with it, or maybe 3, and those are only 30 rounds each.

No real sentimental value to me, it's just a tool the agency provides, there's nothing extra-special about it.

Under 200 rounds and they were issued to us brand new, so it is in excellent shape.

Thinking of it, it might be under 100 rounds. I've shot 2 qualifying courses with it, or maybe 3, and those are only 30 rounds each.

No real sentimental value to me, it's just a tool the agency provides, there's nothing extra-special about it.
if its in exc condition i would probably buy it . A glock 17 is one of the best end of the world guns. glock 17 mags are as close to being as common as AR mags and in an difficult situation this might matter.

and unless your dept has a time restriction on how long you have to own it before you sell it, you could turn it for a quick 50 -100 profit easily .

in the past i have had leo freinds buy duty weapons, but they were usually 1/2 off or more than new. Your dept going red dot?

Not that I'm aware of, just going to G21's.
(y)
45acp.jpg

Yet another great gun and caliber.
I personally don't think it matters one way or the other. The 9mm vs .45 debate will go on forever. I don't think one is any better than the other.
Yet another great gun and caliber.
Ehh, I'm sorta agnostic on the caliber wars. They've been going on forever and just like thick vs thin, probably will forever. If you can't hit the target, you're not going to stop it regardless of the size of the lead you send flying. They both have their advantages and disadvantages, trading one for the other is just a zero sum game in my opinion.

a well-maintained, highly-regarded, little-used, familiar-to-you, 9mm semiauto pistol for $400 is a solid no-lose buy. a popular brand like glock is even more cherry. if you don’t have an immediate need for it, perhaps lawfully turn it over to a relative or friend who hasn’t one. even me, a confirmed revolver guy with enough tools for my lifetime, would really appreciate it.

Back