G-Oil how good is this oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen on commercial and tv show just wondering if it's any good and has anyone here using it? This ?? could be a repost!!

It is an ester base oil.

The old formula was a good oil for regular OCIs, not much for extended OCIs.

The new formula appears to be very robust and suitable for longer OCIs but nobody has really tested it yet. We only have the VOA for the new formula to go by.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
It is an ester base oil.

The old formula was a good oil for regular OCIs, not much for extended OCIs.

The new formula appears to be very robust and suitable for longer OCIs but nobody has really tested it yet. We only have the VOA for the new formula to go by.

thanks that was quick!!

I'm not being a smart-(something everyone has), but in this case search really is your friend.
Search the VOA and UOA forums for G-Oil and you'll find some useful results.
The Cliffs Notes version is that the oil performs pretty well on moderate drain intervals, with significant shearing and TBN depletion but low wear metals.
There is one 10K UOA of G-Oil from an old Volvo that looks really impressive.
Wait for the next FAR deal and give G-Oil a try.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I'm not being a smart-(something everyone has), but in this case search really is your friend.
Search the VOA and UOA forums for G-Oil and you'll find some useful results.
The Cliffs Notes version is that the oil performs pretty well on moderate drain intervals, with significant shearing and TBN depletion but low wear metals.
There is one 10K UOA of G-Oil from an old Volvo that looks really impressive.
Wait for the next FAR deal and give G-Oil a try.

So, would it be Ok for a 5000 mile interval?

Truthfully I like it. It serves my Chevy 5.3 very well. Smooths over the Chevy tick. It is running my son's Jetta 1.8 Turbo at a 64/36 mix of G-Oil/Castrol 5w-50 mixed to somewhat mimic viscosity properties of Castol 0w-30 (a guestimated mix of HTHS of 3.6, Kv100 of 12.3, Kv40 of 70.9). Also I think Zanzabar here is running it straight in his Jetta with good results and they are not the most forgiving engines. Also, if you check the website, they usually have a $10 Rebate outside all of the FAR offers that pop up occasionally. At $16 (after the somewhat annoying 2-3 months wait for the rebate) for 5 qts of the newer, more robust formula, I think it's a great bargain. The newer formula really doesn't have any VOA history, but on paper it looks fairly stout.

Last edited:
Sure, and probably longer as dparm wrote.
WRT the new formula, you'll see the UOA results here soon enough.
The main rap on this oil for lon runs IMHO has been its rapid TBN depletion.
Now, TBN depletion isn't linear and TBN by itself is not the be-all, end-all I once thought it was.
Still, if the new formula shows better TBN retention, the oil will then unquestionably be suited to longer runs.

Its a very good oil as UOA has shown over and over for around 26 bucks you can buy Mobil1 EP which I would choose , but with free rebates. Who can complain.

If it makes you happy to use it, do it. Your engine will like it!

I ran two 6K miles intervals in my Nissan. Truth be told, the butt-dino thought it was just as good as the other synthetics I'd run, including SynPower, Edge, and Ultra. The UOA I had done at the end of the second interval was very good. (See here.)

I'm on the second interval in our Saturn (which has the Honda 3.5-liter V6). The first interval was 6800 miles and I have no qualms of letting this second one go for up to 7800. (I previously ran SynPower in this engine that long and the UOA was very good.)

Originally Posted By: tstep
Truthfully I like it. It serves my Chevy 5.3 very well. Smooths over the Chevy tick. It is running my son's Jetta 1.8 Turbo at a 64/36 mix of G-Oil/Castrol 5w-50 mixed to somewhat mimic viscosity properties of Castol 0w-30 (a guestimated mix of HTHS of 3.6, Kv100 of 12.3, Kv40 of 70.9). Also I think Zanzabar here is running it straight in his Jetta with good results and they are not the most forgiving engines. Also, if you check the website, they usually have a $10 Rebate outside all of the FAR offers that pop up occasionally. At $16 (after the somewhat annoying 2-3 months wait for the rebate) for 5 qts of the newer, more robust formula, I think it's a great bargain. The newer formula really doesn't have any VOA history, but on paper it looks fairly stout.

I'm running it in my twin turbo Audi, and have had mixed results so far. The first 5k mile run was all G-Oil, and at the end of the run I wanted to replace one valve cover gasket and I noticed some wear on the cam lobes that was not there the last gasket change.

I then ran M1 0W-40 for a 5k mile OCI, and now have gone back to G-Oil but have mixed 6 quarts of it with one quart of RL 20W-50 to increase the HTHS. When the gaskets start to leak again, I'll see if there is any more wear or not. Shouldn't be long, these Audi gaskets must be made of silly putty or something!

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Originally Posted By: tstep

I'm running it in my twin turbo Audi, and have had mixed results so far. The first 5k mile run was all G-Oil, and at the end of the run I wanted to replace one valve cover gasket and I noticed some wear on the cam lobes that was not there the last gasket change.

I then ran M1 0W-40 for a 5k mile OCI, and now have gone back to G-Oil but have mixed 6 quarts of it with one quart of RL 20W-50 to increase the HTHS. When the gaskets start to leak again, I'll see if there is any more wear or not. Shouldn't be long, these Audi gaskets must be made of silly putty or something!

I was a bit too concerned about the low HTHS to run it straight up. I'd appreciate the update when you get back under the valve cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back