FYI if you're willing to defend yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of my stuff is insured - I'm just not shooting some mixed up kid over a car - but have had ugly debates on that.
Enter my house at 3 am ? ... can't be sure - unless they are armed too - and then the choice is clear ...

Having said that - if I was a burglar - Texas might not be my first choice ...

Police officers involved in a shooting are often counseled to not give a statement for 24 hours to allow the emotions to settle and have a clear head. This period allows them to calm down, remember details, and consult with a lawyer. The same valid reason can be used to ask the police for some time before making a detailed statement after a shooting, citing that your emotional state may cause you to miss facts or mislead the investigation. The fact that you stated you are in an emotional state because of the shooting may also help if early statements are used against you.

In any case, I agree (and so does the NRA) you should give basic facts up front, especially noting your fear for your life, as this helps the police make an initial assessment and may keep you from being arrested. Promise to cooperate fully the next day when you are thinking more clearly, and see an attorney in the meantime. Of course if the evidence at the scene suggests the shooting was likely not justified, such as shot in the back from 30 feet away, you will likely be immediately arrested anyhow.

Tom NJ/VA

If the intruder was shot in the back fleeing from the home then there might be a case against the homeowner.

My cousin walked into what she thought was her sister's home. Then she saw a lady in the home and asked where's Wendy? And the lady said, "next door". There's about six homes in a row that look very similar.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
Yes, as crazy as it may sound, there are circumstances a homeowners can go to jail for shooting an intruder.

Here's an extreme case I saw on one of the cable channels where the homeowner went way too far. This Minnesota man who got tired of his home being broken into decided to stage he was away from home by parking his truck down the road in the bushes and hiding in the basement with a shotgun. Just sitting there waiting until the teen broke in. He even voice recorded the entire incident and you can hear him rehearsing what he was going to say later.

Man to spend life in prison for killing teens in burglary

That case was in the news a lot here. Couple things that article doesn't mention though. Once they were down after he initially shot them, he walked up over them and, by his own admission, "finished them off". That's really where he crossed the line from self defense to murder. Then he also kept the bodies hidden for a couple days before reporting the incident to the authorities.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Sorry to waste everyone's time. Daughter's impression was this was an ordinary guy who thought his actions were legal, that he could shoot the intruder for no other reason that being in his house. Apparently this was noted during the proceedings she worked. Clerks are ridiculously busy, I'm not going to ask her to find the guy's name so he can be re-tried here and ridiculed.

An apparent local example of an SD shooting done wrong or gone bad and a sincere suggestion to be sure of your local SD laws was my only intention. Apologies.

If it was a case like this one liked below, then yeah it's not a legal shooting and the shooter will be charged with some degree of murder. You can't just shoot someone who's trespassed into your house unless they put your like in danger. In this case, the guy found a trespasser, asked him to leave and he didn't so the guy went to his other house, got a gun and shot the guy while he was taking a shower.

http://komonews.com/news/local/mason-county-homeowner-who-shot-man-in-shower-charged-with-murder

http://www.kiro7.com/news/washington/homeowner-fatally-shoots-intruder/508157902

Each state has their own laws on the use of deadly force. Here's a basic summary of WA state's law below. In the case of the home owner shooting the guy in the shower, there was no harm threat to the shooter. If however the guy taking the shower rush out of the shower and tried to attack and physically harm the homeowner then he would have been justified in the shooting.

Self-Defense & Stand Your Ground Laws
The crux of Washington’s self-defense legislation is found in RCW 9A.16.110(1). The statutes read: “No person in the state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting by any reasonable means necessary, himself or herself, his or her family, or his or her real or personal property, or for coming to the aid of another who is in imminent danger of or the victim of assault, robbery, kidnapping, arson, burglary, rape, murder, or any other violent crime as defined in RCW 9.94A.030.”

Washington’s Stand Your Ground laws provide solid protection against harm and liability for law-abiding citizens. If you are being attacked or think you’re about to be attacked, you have the legal authority to protect yourself. Also, while some states require that you retreat if you think you’re about to be harmed, Washington doesn’t mandate retreat. If someone maliciously approaches you or your home, you do not have to try to escape first. You can stand your ground and defend yourself, your family and your home. If you injure or kill the attacker and are arrested, you can use self-defense as your defense.

To be entitled to use self-defense as justification for your actions, the force you used must not have been more than necessary. The force must be reasonable. Also, you must not have been committing a crime when you were attacked, and the incident must have occurred on premises where you were legally entitled to be.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Sorry to waste everyone's time. Daughter's impression was this was an ordinary guy who thought his actions were legal, that he could shoot the intruder for no other reason that being in his house. Apparently this was noted during the proceedings she worked. Clerks are ridiculously busy, I'm not going to ask her to find the guy's name so he can be re-tried here and ridiculed.

An apparent local example of an SD shooting done wrong or gone bad and a sincere suggestion to be sure of your local SD laws was my only intention. Apologies.

Certainly no need to apologize. I think one of the reasons people are asking so many questions is because knowing the law is only half the battle. A little reading will tell you that those laws are also open (somewhat) to interpretation. Knowing the back story or context can really help.

The story of the homeowner shooting an intruder and going to prison could be as bubbatime suggested- owner shoots drunk who is passed out on the couch or the person could have had a really crummy attorney and unfriendly jury. Without the details, we as gun owners who wish to protect ourselves can't really learn from this.

As to why no one is seeing reports of this- maybe this happened a few years ago and due to continuations, delays and all sorts of legal stuff, the case drug on for some time until he was finally sentenced???

AZjeff,

Thanks for this story. It always amazes me how these stories always manage to bring out the male bravado. Especially if they go against the shooter. Right away we hear explanations and arguments how someone, "has the right" to shoot someone just because they're in their house. This regardless of the intruders actions or intentions. The Castle Doctrine, (which Arizona has), say's you do not have to retreat from your home.... It does not say, or has it ever said, you have the right to kill anyone just because they enter it.

This is why I will never carry a gun (former deputy sheriff). Too much potential for liability if you have to use it and there is a possibility of having it taken away even if you don't pull it on someone. My dogs are my home defense. Anybody casing my house will see there are two German Shepherds inside that won't be as nice as I would be if they break in.

I appreciate AZJeff providing the cautionary tale, but what's missing from his tale is this: was the threat serious? Was the response both necessary and proportional?

If you're presented with a threat of serious bodily harm, or death, then a response involving lethal force is both necessary, and proportional to the threat. IF the threat isn't there, then the lethal force isn't justified, and you should anticipate being charged with attempted manslaughter, or worse, up to and including murder, depending on the circumstances.

A lethal threat must have all of the elements of ability, opportunity, and intent. And as far as your ability to determine the presence of those three elements, a reasonable man standard applies.

So, some of the examples given serve as useful case-studies. Drunk girl in a bikini wanders into the wrong house. She's unarmed. Against the big professional athlete, she has NO ability. Further, she has NO intent. Sure, she had opportunity, she was in the house, but without all three elements present, or reasonably believed to be present, there IS NO THREAT.

Kill someone who hasn't threatened you? That's murder, or at least, manslaughter.

And that's what's missing from the tale: what threat, if any, was presented? This guy got convicted because the prosecutor was able to show, beyond a reasonable doubt, that one of those elements was MISSING, that the homeowner wasn't presented with a threat.

So, the real FYI should be this: if you're willing to defend yourself, be certain the you KNOW what is really a threat to you. Unarmed person stumbling around in your house isn't a lethal threat. You have to understand that ability, opportunity, and intent, must all be present for the threat to be present.

I've said this before, but it bears repeating here, that my threat assessment intention (call it a technique) is to remain at the top of the stairs and let any intruder know that I'm home and I'm armed. The valuables are downstairs. My family is upstairs. IF the intruder chooses to come upstairs, then it's clear that they are no longer interested in burglary, and if they choose to come upstairs against an armed homeowner, it's reasonable to believe that they themselves are armed. The threat elements are present. As an added tactical consideration, the threat axis is now narrowed to the stairs - easy to target.

If you don't understand WHEN you can shoot, you've got no business carrying a gun. It may be your Constitutional right, but without understanding of your legal, and ethical, responsibilities when in the exercise of that right, you shouldn't be armed.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
This is why I will never carry a gun (former deputy sheriff). Too much potential for liability if you have to use it and there is a possibility of having it taken away even if you don't pull it on someone.

I guess I'd rather have the choice to be "liable" than have my face smashed in with a cinder block. I cant blame anyone for not wanting to own or carry a gun. They know themselves. And they know their own critical thinking skills, or lack thereof. And their ability to think and act rationally, or lack thereof.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I appreciate AZJeff providing the cautionary tale, but what's missing from his tale is this: was the threat serious? Was the response both necessary and proportional?

If you're presented with a threat of serious bodily harm, or death, then a response involving lethal force is both necessary, and proportional to the threat. IF the threat isn't there, then the lethal force isn't justified, and you should anticipate being charged with attempted manslaughter, or worse, up to and including murder, depending on the circumstances.

A lethal threat must have all of the elements of ability, opportunity, and intent. And as far as your ability to determine the presence of those three elements, a reasonable man standard applies.

So, some of the examples given serve as useful case-studies. Drunk girl in a bikini wanders into the wrong house. She's unarmed. Against the big professional athlete, she has NO ability. Further, she has NO intent. Sure, she had opportunity, she was in the house, but without all three elements present, or reasonably believed to be present, there IS NO THREAT.

Kill someone who hasn't threatened you? That's murder, or at least, manslaughter.

And that's what's missing from the tale: what threat, if any, was presented? This guy got convicted because the prosecutor was able to show, beyond a reasonable doubt, that one of those elements was MISSING, that the homeowner wasn't presented with a threat.

So, the real FYI should be this: if you're willing to defend yourself, be certain the you KNOW what is really a threat to you. Unarmed person stumbling around in your house isn't a lethal threat. You have to understand that ability, opportunity, and intent, must all be present for the threat to be present.

I've said this before, but it bears repeating here, that my threat assessment intention (call it a technique) is to remain at the top of the stairs and let any intruder know that I'm home and I'm armed. The valuables are downstairs. My family is upstairs. IF the intruder chooses to come upstairs, then it's clear that they are no longer interested in burglary, and if they choose to come upstairs against an armed homeowner, it's reasonable to believe that they themselves are armed. The threat elements are present. As an added tactical consideration, the threat axis is now narrowed to the stairs - easy to target.

If you don't understand WHEN you can shoot, you've got no business carrying a gun. It may be your Constitutional right, but without understanding of your legal, and ethical, responsibilities when in the exercise of that right, you shouldn't be armed.

you had me at drunk girl

yesjacknicholson.gif

Never decide ahead of time, what your response "will" be. Every situation is different.

For example, I often hear, if you pull a gun, you must shoot. Or some variation thereof. I pulled a gun on an incredibly belligerent attacker, he stopped his attack, threw his knife aside, turned and ran. As far as I'm concerned, problem solved. Nobody was hurt.

Same goes for a so called "home invasion". What if it's someone harmless, under the influence? Save the drama for some other time.

How about a home invasion, where the perps speak smoothly, act calmly and claim to be in the wrong house, ask where Mike is and so on. Yet, clearly they have an occupied, running, getaway car in the driveway? They can distract you long enough to kill you. Are you going to second guess yourself?

Last edited:
There are always people who want to shoot other people. They ask questions in the CCW class such as "Can I shoot them if...?" and so forth. Typically they have limited life experiences and are attention seekers. What people SHOULD be asking is "Is someone a true threat to me with a knife from 21 feet like I've heard talked about online, etc.?" and trying to learn how to assess what can actually cause them harm. Once you know this, you never have to wonder about shooting to defend yourself, and the law shouldn't really matter to you until AFTER the fact, because your presumption should be that if you DO NOT SHOOT, you will be dead or maimed so badly that you could not care less about "was it legal?". I think if more people thought in this manner, less issues would arise, and the world would be a better, safer place, without idiots popping off rounds in parkinglots at people driving away, etc. Less weepy fathers killing their kids because "I shot at a noise in my dark house" and other [censored].

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back