FYI if you're willing to defend yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Sorry to waste everyone's time. Daughter's impression was this was an ordinary guy who thought his actions were legal, that he could shoot the intruder for no other reason that being in his house. Apparently this was noted during the proceedings she worked. Clerks are ridiculously busy, I'm not going to ask her to find the guy's name so he can be re-tried here and ridiculed.

An apparent local example of an SD shooting done wrong or gone bad and a sincere suggestion to be sure of your local SD laws was my only intention. Apologies.

No need to apologize. Knowing the law is always a good thing as it makes us think. Now, I will add something that a good friend of mine always told me to remember. When it comes to defending your life in your own home, make sure there is only one side to the story, yours. That friend was from a family of career cops.

Criticize the OP as much as you want about verification of facts. That is truly irrelevant here.

The most important part of what he is trying to say is, verify your states laws about self defense, don't guess.

A public defender in Louisiana is a sure-fire way to be pled out, or not represented with much vigor. Many of the young people I've known there have had to be represented by PDs. Not withstanding that most were guilty, sometimes on creative charges, they were not very well represented in court by their PD. Maybe, in Massachusetts one may get a fair trial with a PD, but in this end of the world I'm not so sure. Perhaps, I'm too pessimistic of our legal system to expect a Ben Matlock style defense but LA is known for it's "harsh" sentences and leads the nation in incarceration rates per capita. There are reasons that that is so too! The innocence Project has a good track record here too!

BTW, I've never had a brush with the law except for parking violations and a speeding ticket or two. I am however, sensitive to injustice and the thrashing mills of justice that exists all over.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Around here it would be a 99% chance of some methhead stealing to get drugs.
If someone breaks into my house in the middle of the night they are getting a hatchet to the face or a bullet.
There wont be a survivor to sue me.. his family can try.

Alot of people getting killed in home invasions nowadays.

I found that news article from a few months back funny.. where the guys son? shot and killed 3 intruders with an ar-15 and
Which isnt the funny part....

Now the family of one is suing him for "not giving them a chance it wasnt a fair fight"

3 punks break into your garage and loot it.. then come back later in the night masked with weapons..home invasion.. and you are supposed to give them a fair fight??? really.

That was miles away from my house. Not sure if the lawsuit is going forward but that's not going to hold up in any jury around here lol.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Sorry to waste everyone's time. Daughter's impression was this was an ordinary guy who thought his actions were legal, that he could shoot the intruder for no other reason that being in his house. Apparently this was noted during the proceedings she worked. Clerks are ridiculously busy, I'm not going to ask her to find the guy's name so he can be re-tried here and ridiculed.

An apparent local example of an SD shooting done wrong or gone bad and a sincere suggestion to be sure of your local SD laws was my only intention. Apologies.

A guy wrecked his car one time. Let that be a lesson to all of you.

Makes sense to me. If the guy didn't fear injury or his life, he shouldn't have shot the guy, plain and simple.

If someone is running towards me, I'm shooting them.

If they're simply in my house, of course I'm not going to shoot them. That would just be ridiculous.

My aunt had a man enter her home while she was in the shower, turned out he was a severely mentally and physically handicapped man, could hardly walk. She was out on the sidewalk on the phone with 911 when he stepped out (she hadn't seen him yet, he went into another bathroom). Should she have shot the guy? Of course not.

You've got to make a quick judgement call first

Some LEO's in my inner circle - experts on what is good for killing - but doubtful as defense attorneys when the "12" get selected against you. I have plenty firepower - just not busting a cap over material things ...

Yes, as crazy as it may sound, there are circumstances a homeowners can go to jail for shooting an intruder.

Here's an extreme case I saw on one of the cable channels where the homeowner went way too far. This Minnesota man who got tired of his home being broken into decided to stage he was away from home by parking his truck down the road in the bushes and hiding in the basement with a shotgun. Just sitting there waiting until the teen broke in. He even voice recorded the entire incident and you can hear him rehearsing what he was going to say later.

Man to spend life in prison for killing teens in burglary

Thanks for giving us an important reminder to KNOW, not believe, the laws, AZ Jeff. When I decided to get armed, I went online, and the best advice I read was.....wait for it....get advice from an attorney. So I asked the lawyer I used, and he recommended I find a criminal defense attorney; because it's what they do. In Delaware, the law is quite clear and easy to find on the state website. I made an appointment for a half-hour, and got the answers I needed to determine if I should have a weapon to defend against home invasion.

The law frowns upon people shooting people. The moment you plead self defense you have admitted to the crime, and now the burden of proof is on you to explain why you did so. Merely being in your house uninvited is not a good reason, e.g the girl scout selling cookies who steps over the threshold. All states require that you have a bona fide fear for your life or limb, or that of another innocent, and that the shooting be a last resort.

In other words, don’t shoot anyone unless you absolutely, positively have to,

The laws governing self defense are very complicated and vary by state. One solid defense is when a stranger forcibly breaks into your house at night, armed or not. In such a case there is a presumption of bona fide fear. In all other cases, see above.

Tom NJ/VA

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
America is in dire need of massive and sweeping Tort Reform.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
To counter the poster who stated that crimes go "up and up" the actual crime rates have been dropping over the last twenty years. Even the total numbers of most crimes have been dropping - all of this with an increasing population. I often wonder why we always think things are getting worse when they're not. I guess with all the immediacy of information availability, plus the massive increase in "news" outlets we just hear about more of the incidents.

Au contraire. What you said was true until about 4 years ago. After Ferguson, and Baltimore, Dallas, and others, we find that when you antagonize the police for just doing their job, you find that the police really have no reason to do any work other than sit in their car and drive slowly to the next call. Why be proactive and make arrest, when the community you live in demonizes you and calls you a racist everyday? They ASKED/BEGGED for less proactive policing, and they got it. Many large cities are seeing large increases in crime.

So while what you wrote was generally correct until about 4ish years ago, times are a changing. Crime is up. And likely will be going up for a while.

After Ferguson, and Baltimore, Dallas, and others, we find that when you antagonize the police for just doing their job, you find that the police really have no reason to do any work other than sit in their car and drive slowly to the next call. Why be proactive and make arrest, when the community you live in demonizes you and calls you a racist everyday? They ASKED/BEGGED for less proactive policing, and they got it. Many large cities are seeing large increases in crime.

So while what you wrote was generally correct until about 4ish years ago, times are a changing. Crime is up. And likely will be going up for a while. [/quote]
Yep..can't blame the cops. Why should they risk their lives to get fired, prosecuted and sued.

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
The law frowns upon people shooting people. The moment you plead self defense you have admitted to the crime, and now the burden of proof is on you to explain why you did so. Merely being in your house uninvited is not a good reason, e.g the girl scout selling cookies who steps over the threshold. All states require that you have a bona fide fear for your life or limb, or that of another innocent, and that the shooting be a last resort.

The laws governing self defense are very complicated and vary by state. One solid defense is when a stranger forcibly breaks into your house at night, armed or not. In such a case there is a presumption of bona fide fear. In all other cases, see above.

Tom NJ/VA

Ding, Ding, Ding! We have a winner!

Well said and very accurate, well done sir!

I will add that fear is not enough. There must be a real threat to your life, so real that the 12 on the jury will agree that you had no other choice but to fire your weapon.

Another long, lost and forgotten part to self defense these days is unarmed self defense. If you are serious about defending yourself and your family, you need to learn unarmed self defense. Handicapped or elderly, you get a pass. Many of these big stories involving citizens and police defending themselves and getting into hot water could have been easily prevented with better unarmed self defense training.

Originally Posted By: AMC
Originally Posted By: Tom NJ

Tom NJ/VA

Ding, Ding, Ding! We have a winner!

Well said and very accurate, well done sir!

I will add that fear is not enough. There must be a real threat to your life, so real that the 12 on the jury will agree that you had no other choice but to fire your weapon.

Another long, lost and forgotten part to self defense these days is unarmed self defense. If you are serious about defending yourself and your family, you need to learn unarmed self defense. Handicapped or elderly, you get a pass. Many of these big stories involving citizens and police defending themselves and getting into hot water could have been easily prevented with better unarmed self defense training.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN SELF DEFENSE, AFTER THE EVENT HAS OCCURRED, IS HOW YOU CAN ARTICULATE IN COURT WHY YOU DID WHAT YOU DID.

You may or may not be able to defensibly argue in court about shooting an unarmed person, regardless of where it occurs.

Example 1:
an elderly widow is armed, and shoots an intruder insider her home. She is small, frail, and has been the victim of physical violence previously in her immediate neighborhood. She can tell of how the intruder told her that he was going to "mess her up" and "beat her down" as he walked towards her. In this case, she can reasonably define why she shot the intruder, even though he was unarmed.

Example 2:
a huge, hulking 23 year old male who is a fitness guru shoots an unarmed female who's drunk to a point of poor motor-skills control and lack of balance,and is wearing a bikini so it's obvious she's not hiding nor holding a weapon. She's verbally incoherent as she mistakenly enters his home, believing she's returning to her friend's BBQ party on the bright sunny Saturday. It's going to be difficult for the big homeowner to describe why he had to double-tap the party goer when he could have just physically (easily) controlled her and put her outside the home after calling 911.

Example 3:
a female police officer, of small stature, is pulling over a vehicle suspected as involved in an armed robbery. After the large male driver exits and heads towards her (in defiance of her commands to stay in the car), as she's walking up and he states he's going to "(blank) you up", she could likely reasonably defend having to shoot the person, especially if he furtively would not take his hands out of his pockets, after her continued commands are being ignored, etc ...

Fear, if unfounded and irrational, is not a good reason to kill another person.
Fear, if well founded and reasonable, is a defensible reason to kill another person.
Whether or not that other person is armed is only a contributing condition to the totality of the circumstances, not a sole decision point.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
To counter the poster who stated that crimes go "up and up" the actual crime rates have been dropping over the last twenty years. Even the total numbers of most crimes have been dropping - all of this with an increasing population. I often wonder why we always think things are getting worse when they're not. I guess with all the immediacy of information availability, plus the massive increase in "news" outlets we just hear about more of the incidents.

Au contraire. What you said was true until about 4 years ago. After Ferguson, and Baltimore, Dallas, and others, we find that when you antagonize the police for just doing their job, you find that the police really have no reason to do any work other than sit in their car and drive slowly to the next call. Why be proactive and make arrest, when the community you live in demonizes you and calls you a racist everyday? They ASKED/BEGGED for less proactive policing, and they got it. Many large cities are seeing large increases in crime.

So while what you wrote was generally correct until about 4ish years ago, times are a changing. Crime is up. And likely will be going up for a while.

Violent crime has been on it's way down for about three decades.

https://www.ucrdatatool.gov/Search/Crime/Crime.cfm

There will always be a small "uptick" somewhere. Anyone can find a "rise in crime" by selectively finding a niche they want to expose.

Overall, crime has been trending down, and continues to do so.

Use the FBI UCR tool, and don't use hyped media coverage to gauge your crime data ....

Quote:
THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN SELF DEFENSE, AFTER THE EVENT HAS OCCURRED, IS HOW YOU CAN ARTICULATE IN COURT WHY YOU DID WHAT YOU DID.

The most important thing, by far, is to not talk to the police after the event and call a lawyer. Then you won't have to defend statements you made minutes after an extremely stressful event. Statement that may not be accurate. The police don't talk to the police after a shooting, you shouldn't either.

Originally Posted By: AMC

Agreed, which is what I meant by "bona fide" fear. The offender must have the opportunity, means, and intent to cause you serious harm or death, and all three will be examined in depth in court. The jury is instructed to evaluate the validity of the threat through the eyes of the shooter, but the threat must be real and serious. If you had other means besides shooting to end the threat and did not act on them, you may find yourself in jail.

The laws and risks are very complex, and the simplest rule is just don’t shoot anyone unless you absolutely, positively have to.

Tom NJ/VA

Originally Posted By: hatt
Quote:

The most important thing, by far, is to not talk to the police after the event and call a lawyer. Then you won't have to defend statements you made minutes after an extremely stressful event. Statement that may not be accurate. The police don't talk to the police after a shooting, you shouldn't either.

This is a double edged sword. When a person instantly lawyers up in the presence of police, they instantaneously become a suspect, and often find themselves in jail for days/months/years, when everything could have been cleared up with a simple explanation. If they find you with a smoking gun, and a dead guy on the ground, and no other independent witnesses, and you lawyer up without any explanation, you can be ASSURED that you will be arrested and jailed, perhaps for years.

On the other hand, if you state something simple such as, "I was threatened. I was in fear and I defended myself. I will fully cooperate with your investigation and provide a statement, but I would prefer to have a lawyer present first."

There is a right way and a wrong way to "lawyer up" in these incidents. You want to appear cooperative and reasonable and willing to cooperate. You'll likely find that works much better for you than, "I aint talking to you. I demand a lawyer!"

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: hatt
Quote:

This is a double edged sword. When a person instantly lawyers up in the presence of police, they instantaneously become a suspect, and often find themselves in jail for days/months/years, when everything could have been cleared up with a simple explanation. If they find you with a smoking gun, and a dead guy on the ground, and no other independent witnesses, and you lawyer up without any explanation, you can be ASSURED that you will be arrested and jailed, perhaps for years.

On the other hand, if you state something simple such as, "I was threatened. I was in fear and I defended myself. I will fully cooperate with your investigation and provide a statement, but I would prefer to have a lawyer present first."

There is a right way and a wrong way to "lawyer up" in these incidents. You want to appear cooperative and reasonable and willing to cooperate. You'll likely find that works much better for you than, "I aint talking to you. I demand a lawyer!"
You're already a suspect. Sure you can tell the police/911 you were attacked. Going into details is not so smart.

We'll clear this up with a yes or no. If you're involved in an on duty police shooting are you going to talk to investigators before contacting a representative?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back