Funny oil change stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I were discussing her aunt and how she used to change her oil. Her aunt, God rest her soul, was widowed for 30+ years. She was what was called a "Rosie the Riveter" in WWII. She used to weld parts for tanks at Sharon Steel, in Sharon PA at that time.

Well, about 15 years ago she disclosed that she always changed her oil. She never wanted to spend money on anything. One day, she confessed that she always had the hardest time putting the funnel in the tube to fill the engine up and that it took forever!

We had to show her the crankcase cap and told her that was the spot to refill the oil, not through the dip stick tube!!

Just thought I'd share a little humor in a light mannered thread!

When I purchased my 2002 dakota I was given receipts for all of the maintenance since new. The oil had just been changed but when I got home I decided to check it anyway. It was a quart too full. I decided to pull the plug and let some out, but while trying to put the plug back in it slipped out of my hand and into the drain pan. By the time I found the plug all the oil had drained out. The oil was everywhere. I had oil up to my elbow and on the driveway because of it splashing of my hand and arm while I was frantically searching for the plug.

Needless to say I knew for sure it had fresh oil in it.

Let's just say that one should never use an impact wrench. to loosen the drain plug , it took me a while to clean the drive way

Got in a hurry and didn't notice that the old filter gasket was stuck to the engine flange. Needless to say I found the oil leak when I started it up. Didn't take long to pump 2 or 3 quarts out.

20 years ago I had a Ford Tempo with the 2.0 ltr. diesel. After changing the oil and in general checking things over I leaned against the front of the car. As the Tempo was a stick I failed to put the tranny in gear or the emergency brake on. Brain fade. It was in the winter and the car was in the garage. As I leaned on the front the car suddenly bolted down the ramps headed straight for the closed door. I grabbed the bumper but to no avail. The car raced down the ramps, and right through the steel garage door tearing several hinges into as the Tempo ended half way through the door before stopping. Well,I spent the next two hours welding and starighting henges. The Tempo did receive a couple of scratches.

I had a 1990 Mercury Couger rear wheel drive and went to change oil in it, in the winter time and its rear wheel drive. Iam pulling up on the ramps and it started to spin so I gave it more gas and when the tires hit the ramps the car shot forward and the front end went over the ramps and the car got hung up on the ramps. I had to jack the car up to get the ramps out. Bent the strip molding under the car. I now weld a big steel stop plate on the front of the ramps. I am still a little gun shy about ramps now and pull up with two feet and a helper now.

On my 1991 iron Duke, in a COOOLD Snowstorm here in Indianapolis, I prepared for an Oil Change.

Wrench? CHECK
Oil? CHECK
Fulter? CHECK

I set out to change the Oil and Flter, 3/8 Drive working Fine in all Apps...

I go to Change the oil, and drain all the Oil out, as my car has 2 Bolts for this... one with Filter, one without. I let all the Oil out.. ok, Done. ime for Filter..

Well, Guess What, That Filter was NOT coming off.. AT ALL! Turns out a 1/2" drive Socket and a breaker bar is needed...

... so I end up putting only 2 Quuarts Oil in, and driving it for 30-45 minutes until Quart 3 can be added.. then to the parts store next morning, another 15 minutes drive. And Old Filter stayed in. All because i couldnt get the Filter Nut off.. Broke the Socket Trying (or Wrench.)

frown.gif

An older fellow I know well (and have no reason to doubt) tells me he knew someone who had two cars "back in the day" (1940's) and always seemed to be changing the oil. He seemed obsessive about it. Then one day they realized what he was doing - he was SWITCHING the oil between the cars. He was certainly "changing the oil" in each car - just not the way we all know it! Lost in literalism...

When I was in college I was crewing on someone's sailboat and we changed the oil in the auxiliary engine before setting out. This was in the days when we had oil cans that you opened with a can opener. Well we put the empties in the trash and went offshore, where it got a bit rough. I looked down below and the trash can had fallen out from under the sink, spilling the garbage and the oil cans onto the cabin sole. This whole mess had been sliding around for awhile as the boat rocked and rolled on the waves, spreading a thin layer of motor oil all over the floorboards. When I went down to clean it up, I was soon sliding around on the cabin floor on my stomach with the garbage, the oil, the cans, and a roll of paper towels trying to wipe it all up. Yuck!

Originally Posted By: JCCADILLACMOBILE
On my 1991 iron Duke, in a COOOLD Snowstorm here in Indianapolis, I prepared for an Oil Change.

Wrench? CHECK
Oil? CHECK
Fulter? CHECK

I set out to change the Oil and Flter, 3/8 Drive working Fine in all Apps...

I go to Change the oil, and drain all the Oil out, as my car has 2 Bolts for this... one with Filter, one without. I let all the Oil out.. ok, Done. ime for Filter..

Well, Guess What, That Filter was NOT coming off.. AT ALL! Turns out a 1/2" drive Socket and a breaker bar is needed...

... so I end up putting only 2 Quuarts Oil in, and driving it for 30-45 minutes until Quart 3 can be added.. then to the parts store next morning, another 15 minutes drive. And Old Filter stayed in. All because i couldnt get the Filter Nut off.. Broke the Socket Trying (or Wrench.)

frown.gif

Don't you love that element style filter? Makes a big mess. It and the nylon timing gears are the worst parts of the 2.5!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back