Fun at the DMV

I needed to transfer a car title onto my name after my mom died, so I had to visit Illinois' Secretary of State to do so (that's what they call the DMV here). First time I went was Saturday, July 2, and I found they were closed for the 4th of July Holiday. They were also closed on July 4 and 5 too.... MUST BE NICE. I went back the following Saturday and found a line about a mile long..... Eventually I went there on a weekday when the line was more tolerable only to get inside the building eventually only to see signs posted everywhere that all fees and taxes were to be paid by check or money order only - no cash and no credit cards accepted! Apparently it is still 1970 at the Illinois Secretary of State.

I tried again a week later, armed this time with my checkbook. The title transfer and various fees were taken care of in a little room, which had a line in it which snaked back and forth about six times. There were about a hundred people in line in a room that looks like it was meant to hold about twenty at most. No social distancing there! Such a slow and tedious process; everything had to be written out by hand and then I had to go to a different line to hand over my personal checks. It seems a lot of this should be able to be done on-line, right? Maybe they don't want to introduce any efficiency into their antiquated system.

The only hiccup came to my birth certificate - all I had was a copy made from microfilm way back when I was a baby, and it was about 2" by 3" in size. So I had to order a new copy...
Here's the thing, there are 100+ years worth of legitimate birth certificates in circulation, in at least 50 different styles, maybe many more if counties handled them instead of states. And these certificates are the baseline for building an identity. The feds figured mine out when I went for my passport, and again for my security clearance. But a clerk at the DMV gets to say, nah, without doing any additional research. :cautious:

I tried again a week later, armed this time with my checkbook. The title transfer and various fees were taken care of in a little room, which had a line in it which snaked back and forth about six times. There were about a hundred people in line in a room that looks like it was meant to hold about twenty at most. No social distancing there! Such a slow and tedious process; everything had to be written out by hand and then I had to go to a different line to hand over my personal checks. It seems a lot of this should be able to be done on-line, right? Maybe they don't want to introduce any efficiency into their antiquated system.

Next time, try a Secretary of State's office in a rural county.

The last time I needed to apply for a new set of plates, I drove up to the SOS office in my county, and there were 20-30 people standing outside in the rain (and who knows how many more were already waiting inside the building).

I decided that the 20 minute drive to the SOS office in the next county over had to be better than that. When I arrived at that office, there were three people working, and were only two people waiting ahead of me.

The drive to the next county over saved me hours. Maybe since our do-nothing 88 year old Secretary of State finally decided to retire, things will finally improve.

see signs posted everywhere that all fees and taxes were to be paid by check or money order only - no cash and no credit cards accepted!
That's funny - I realize private businesses aren't obligated to take cash, but the state of Illinois is now rejecting payment in currencies issued by the US federal Reserve under proxy of the US federal government? Maybe your not really a state anymore? Ha Ha.

Such a slow and tedious process; everything had to be written out by hand

Took me 3 hours at the Virginia DMV to transfer 2 vehicles into my name after my dad passed away.

At least they accepted a credit card for payment.

The difference is, I'm sure that somewhere on the Virginia DMV website you can find a press release about how they paid some company to do a study which invariably concluded that they are the best-run DMV in the entire country...

Next time, try a Secretary of State's office in a rural county.
I think part of the reason for the big crowd was that some of the other locations can't do all of the services. The lady behind me, for example, had tried to go to the Schaumburg office but they sent her here (Lombard) because whatever she needed they can't do at Schaumburg.

Downtown Wheaton IL used to have an "Express" Secretary of State office. I think all they did was license renewals..... I don't even think they sold license plate stickers. I renewed my license there a couple times and it was so quick I probably could have just double-parked out front and run in and out! Sadly, it's gone now but fortunately I was able to renew online last time.

They mentioned a passport. Why would someone have that unless they were going to another country?
You don't have a real I/D yet?! Amazing!
I though that cutover for real I.D was years ago.

I had a notice telling me what docs to bring to prove my identity. I had my Original Social security cards stapled to the original fan-fold leaflet from the 1950's SSA. They said they can't take that so SS I,D! I when semi-ballistic but then reined it in as these jamokes will be responsible gifting me the privilege of an I.D. They said I need a pay stub with my SS on it. Really?
I also had to order a new birth certificate from my county of birth in Indiana, as I only had a negative microfiche copy and a page from a boy's names leaflet that has a hand written notice of birth filled out by the doctor at the Hospital.

I got my I.D. I slicked my hair back and mugged it up like a big crook form Massachusetts for the photo.
I am now a card-carrying member of The Winter Hill Gang.

Last edited:
Why so long? When my mother died, I just forged her name on the back of the title, (per her lawyers instructions), and was out in 10 minutes. 6 weeks later I had a new title for the vehicle in my name.

Because the guy behind the counter didn't know how to do his job and kept having to ask the manager.

And I had to fill out forms with information they already had.

Makes me wonder why:

1)The computer can't prompt the clerk as to what to do

2)The computer can't print out the forms with the info they already have, like make, model, vin, name, address already on the form.

But I know what the answer is. It's Virginia. The state that likes to think they are the best at everything. Dunning-Kruger institutionalized.

I had a notice telling me what docs to bring to prove my identity. I had my Original Social security cards stapled to the original fan-fold leaflet from the 1950's SSA. They said they can't take that so SS I,D! I when semi-ballistic but then reined it in as these jamokes will be responsible gifting me the privilege of an I.D. They said I need a pay stub with my SS on it. Really?
I also had to order a new birth certificate from my county of birth in Indiana, as I only had a negative microfiche copy and a page from a boy's names leaflet that has a hand written notice of birth filled out by the doctor at the Hospital.
I think it's probably easier to get a passport. I really do.

Title would make a good country song. Add in a pickup truck, dog, gravel road, bar, ex, etc. and you have a hit.

I needed to transfer a car title onto my name after my mom died, so I had to visit Illinois' Secretary of State to do so (that's what they call the DMV here). First time I went was Saturday, July 2, and I found they were closed for the 4th of July Holiday. They were also closed on July 4 and 5 too.... MUST BE NICE. I went back the following Saturday and found a line about a mile long..... Eventually I went there on a weekday when the line was more tolerable only to get inside the building eventually only to see signs posted everywhere that all fees and taxes were to be paid by check or money order only - no cash and no credit cards accepted! Apparently it is still 1970 at the Illinois Secretary of State.

You guys don’t have 3rd party DMV offices?

I haven’t been to the DMV since I got my license when I was 16. Won’t go back, there’s a 3rd party place by my house that does basically everything I need.

You guys don’t have 3rd party DMV offices?

I haven’t been to the DMV since I got my license when I was 16. Won’t go back, there’s a 3rd party place by my house that does basically everything I need.
We have a ton of them . They're expensive and only take cash . I found a Notary office that is also a Public Tag Agent and he can do almost anything except actual Drivers License stuff .

I have not needed one. I don't go on air planes or military bases and I don't buy ammo in my state the less the govt knows about me the better.
But do you File a 1040, CA State tax forms, and did you fill out the online 2020 census a couple years ago? Do you vote? Do you have bank loans, revilvig credit?
State and DMV already have this data, they just want some proof that you are you.

It amazing what data brokers have online. In available free data, I am seeing even cellphone numbers now! All previous addresses, relatives, age, what cars you have owned, political party and religion. Value of property, taxes paid, etc.

My hunting buddy had to get his license plates and they requested his drivers license. He even knew the girl that was getting the plates for him. She made him go home to get his drivers license. I am sorry but some company policies need to be changed. If I were that employee I would say do not tell anyone but I am going to give you your licenses without having to prove your identity. Some people just have no guts at all to make a decision on their own. I always used company policies as a guideline and never had any problems.

Back