Fumoto Valve - lost the retention clip

Well, Fumoto looks like it came from a Home Depot plumbing section, so there is that, $20 is still quite a lot for such a simple device.
And after having one for a few years now, it OK at best IMO.
Don't judge a book by its cover. I had the Fumoto with the nipple on my Passat (since the filter was under the car)...and never bothered with the safety spring clamp.

But, imagine going to change your oil and then you realized you misplaced the adapter needed to open the valve and drain the oil. That's the simplicity the Fumoto gives you.

I bought a high mileage V6 Camry to fix up a few years back. The previous owner always took the car to a local shop for oil change services; that shop installed a Stahlbus easy drain valve. So I get the car but don't have the drain piece. No problem; I can remove the pan valve. To my surprise, it took almost nothing to break torque on the Stahlbus; in fact the top of the threads were broke and the threads were left in the pan female threads. I was in deep yogurt! Luckily a pencil magnet spun the Stahlbus threads out.

I had a spare Toyota oil drain plug on hand.
Here's the Camry; it had 232K on the clock. Nice car, actually.
_5Lf0jsyTrdRx2l9SE_8gteVP_Zs1LBbLrPsaZL8LfBsWapaVYAsbqcv2Brpg2Kly6E5fWLD9yq9UzZgEVlVKSZ1uTDxVpvjyW2h6VVbr6WGSGQqOyTc12T7wzv0XPaH4plS-crdeSrDIPHIVf6ZLHpSW09dtxvAFRKZW3WseK4Y-zBB-q413OhvArXHDHPvOp02JFB0kRPSzSlq5IPeYpOUeAzS8QQHqEBhMvS5yDgj4KFGzslI_7fy3nr7eAu8H4j9GlF1FPOCe7JxkqFeiCXJyUP0Yi21-q-zPrAyLSJmXKkL3c8GwyWoVKS2rMIVGGbdMUDwNcFyJJPL3jyzibR6fp73hN2Xg1hiNU6Xv8skDgvFh_AlxzZcXsY-J6pyzjmBh9_14SEpDBkgv0bmQ9knUSIeM1JUN2dXFhegu2RGvZatmpzkH0PGlSTm3LHsdZSLtLrAo5IQ4yh7DgS-Za7Nkyo2yWWTIMLavZr5LwTOaPWOxoqsIM57XMFYbxYqBRUrZCjwbKDVBFXfD7R8vWkxp-OUYf9FQEG66GO5G2N3ndTBNqItooi1OcaOY2bN_xBUmkni7mihAXTxoV1Ods02y5eVvw2fP5I1LHKr2OhbYdB1aKZ-hcpMmytbg6Fx_pjpPAwxWi2UfA1rZUkBAlamCvavl0k03I8WoCYbdb41aNA_8AeyHVhW3v3TijOcFOvKk084IxljrcGjEvmWWZIAPGA_h5oGidgc580hPlxTkzeOTJeO7eg2CcWBwg_ZcZRre9g4bq6xyjd2G19TgXEJYOiY_TJI-p8SxIKCyX-uQmR2oWAjDm1SQ6sdsYNDPpEh8OGYZUFEiXjWGykwhSNTp3D1E5C_Dij7Bz9mGdn_zf1ozIh2k-Bl7K7_cASmlYirxMBq7GMiJco336YUs9NnLaHqfPUDBW9UaLy1wyrRnWa-=w671-h893-no

Many Fumoto valves were sold before they even came out with the retainer clip. Mine does have the clip but even if it didn’t it wouldn’t bother me in the least.

A lot of people are afraid of them because “what if something hits it and it opens up” nonsense. It is spring loaded. You have to apply some pressure to lift up the lever AND then turn it open. It doesn’t just open up as soon as you lift up. If you lift the lever and don’t turn it it goes back down into the notch.

If it hangs down where something could knock the whole valve off then yeah maybe be afraid of that. A Valvomax or Stahlbus MAY work better. Mine is behind the pan facing towards the rear of the car. If something were to hit that then my oil pan and several other parts will be gone

Attachments

• IMG_5036.jpeg
    IMG_5036.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5035.jpeg
    IMG_5035.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5037.jpeg
    IMG_5037.jpeg
    59.6 KB · Views: 26
Yep, don’t worry if you don’t have the clip.

Combined 1M miles with various cars and no problem with Fumoto without clip.

Many Fumoto valves were sold before they even came out with the retainer clip. Mine does have the clip but even if it didn’t it wouldn’t bother me in the least.

A lot of people are afraid of them because “what if something hits it and it opens up” nonsense. It is spring loaded. You have to apply some pressure to lift up the lever AND then turn it open. It doesn’t just open up as soon as you lift up. If you lift the lever and don’t turn it it goes back down into the notch.

If it hangs down where something could knock the whole valve off then yeah maybe be afraid of that. A Valvomax or Stahlbus MAY work better. Mine is behind the pan facing towards the rear of the car. If something were to hit that then my oil pan and several other parts will be gone
This echoes my thoughts perfectly. Already installed one on our 08 Accent, my 07 Mazda3 will be getting one within the next month.

Both cars have them oriented in such a way that the aluminum oil pans would be absolutely destroyed before something (other than maybe a stick flipping up or something) could come close to the valve. The Mazda has a belly pan. The Accent has a frame member running right in front of it (appx). Have no worries.

Additionally, yes, they're stiff and definitely require deliberate, coordinated action to open. I have 0 nervousness about them being down there.

This echoes my thoughts perfectly. Already installed one on our 08 Accent, my 07 Mazda3 will be getting one within the next month.

Both cars have them oriented in such a way that the aluminum oil pans would be absolutely destroyed before something (other than maybe a stick flipping up or something) could come close to the valve. The Mazda has a belly pan. The Accent has a frame member running right in front of it (appx). Have no worries.

Additionally, yes, they're stiff and definitely require deliberate, coordinated action to open. I have 0 nervousness about them being down there.
I agree.

Back