Fumoto Valve - lost the retention clip

Canuck - moved to —> California —> Texas —> ???
Did an oil change after my trip to Canada for Christmas and noticed the plastic retention clip on my Fumoto valve was missing. It was 100% installed last OC.
Fortunately the valve itself remained closed.

I remember going through sections of deep snow, pretty fast to keep my momentum, when I was caught in the snow storm, so I think that’s how it got lost. But I’m not sure, perhaps it was missing before I took the trip.

The lever is facing about 2 o’clock position and is protected by the pan.

Not confidence inspiring IMO.

Funny all the years I used one I never thought about how driving through snow would impact it. Never had a problem but I never used that plastic clip on mine. We've had a snow drought here in the Northeast the last few winters.

Did an oil change after my trip to Canada for Christmas and noticed the plastic retention clip on my Fumoto valve was missing. It was 100% installed last OC.

I remember going through sections of deep snow, pretty fast to keep my momentum, when I was caught in the snow storm, so I think that’s how it got lost. But I’m not sure, perhaps it was missing before I took the trip.

I would just swap it out for a Valvomax, it is a lot safer.

I used to zip tie the little handle down into its slot.
Unfortunately for me, if I have to use a zip tie, I may as well switch back to a regular oil plug, as that would require jacking up the vehicle.
The reason I went with Fumoto in the first place was so that I can reach the valve without the need to use a jack.

The plastic clip is a redundant safety, which is optional. You can always get the old style metal spring clamp.

FLOCK2.jpg

On the last hose barbed Fumoto I had, I used to keep a vinyl or rubber cap over the barb. What ever I could find that would fit.

Personally, this is why I’ve ditched Fumoto and switched to Stahlbus (very similar to the different brand Trav referenced). Still easy drains, absolutely no risk of unintended leakage or inadvertent opening of the drain valve. Glad your engine survived. 👍🏻

I love my MityVac.
dKZhI4RtJZN6eUTFs0RYXvFysUkz2QOpTPWUvTCW70l86606qXVKOpIYmLm2GVWSVGu2VaUnYD3y1l-sv1xjCsi4DxIDMp0RtPvOCXBQWFJPDRawGbfb1gpSB2CyQXoWGqC6Z5SMuPLLhptAYu52tXm2jErGHScQoORbzxQdl1GtFAGt5A93jukRnz4NKfcRSQhJKLNh8HFKOx3TRpEGjHO9yk9qzmkvaluQ6NDvTCes1HgS2PZEV2A1bjsynbefY7xeMKKhJ4N7fnv-CmmzCLYMRUFkTQ3Km9qwOvHRdDc7-REWO_YJ5Xf25X24yW0DqAXhJ6-LADnuoZXSzCdq9YE_LS3i46NfZS8f8RBcijkT9cVRMseoEtWIjrjVqjb2ATvgdgTglEtlRgdm32Vx3mx4Nvrns0wwmcoVLL3W-TXmIGHyaUE_vmvPKv160QIRW-xnUX-DP0PVgizhjLwzNUG83L0bWNMa_AqyJ3UJEdzxoVWtMlmbfxBoyfq_7S5Dkd-9Ob7RX94ZuEtid9xGz4OsNYiwPm-G5NY9jKhkHbXTAoPXM4nF2UrbZfxLYL4KnIpdFw0SXH0OKpTf8XNaG5oMUexuUUnANimcWoLJSzUO-shD7GcD4Njo-Ktz3dOhT9xj5Jx1ClBcv3m_t5XTA6vicAo8oaLN5iakWUncW2O2DyuSnoJ5qF0lD__SfsHgAyCgin3uhHJ1u3UjzE7qD16jnrDjnCVrptpoIMBiY87JY8wOYO8JRnaQKLQySzHV0m0JP9KpvPZVm_ElCHoaN6b7XUWvcnG4nzDrnpD5i7SUGEFwmaeX5pJJbSonYdMHTqwAAauJAXl6-MGHv1rpvBwtxEivCPkNvgUWkl8JT4kHbMfbhl8yYCyrIZG3rtesvqEL95Dm_TdSwjoaSzJBo81UlOL7kCBnag6QBQIEf32AEz0V=w671-h893-no

6yWxAb7UGthcqu11C_4qDZd9bDwuSrGiJTN3_JbEYpz5q6CMEdbw6X_OLuNtBUQHcUrZeV-tqavkoFXBW5bs3Z5sy7eHIfTSXD8S9eC6G6Vvbz6UEMPjDhDaeQ_5PmTcq4Un7j8EfOf1JnOAHHNcdjfKfqpGaZvwWzcvzjz3u_2fxHs1o6SdYL7yG3sJCYCS9Zlvumqkyykw0KvRGpfbL25DfukCvUY0-7dCTHEwlSGvzesLCympTtbEjQmEeDB88AxuLvMSmQDmBdOGVvuYfMToieWZVHkU0rnoV4wHWnkbAoBVjfJljy8LI5j1iqeHiqZ7Wz4T2fCyZzgbswSHiH0Cy_adDenGx-LE_6HfP3yzBXvOMWl9WgR3Svz9RgEpgLokls3xI1M3okoTIbYeBujgP-_Ef3FuxTi77Xemhc1qR0PV-bX_7MQ1v57vdiUl3tY827sOoG-L-Oh-ob7I1tEDIudz391JgJ9Lj53W2e0tNdVMTjrWVrvv6z9EnTR6KhMxTfumj_5jvBhinlMlHlRcoDFED2CIjbI10RGd9OXQK7CXFoUzf7ChkZhtgGBkk-hDdBYrA1J2jcU8s2EjJ-d1nkEWG5Ak5BypaOgU7UWUO826fokeVFsCcjcx51Vz7MFDzIOkFynnieFcS5OyahVqlPIVL1darpXjHh5EkSoS5bvMf99oDqYggkg-mRS1Ug1iG5ApRGaxhBPXFJ33PpAFASX-0grwFSTX3ePGmzQ9B_8diH6TUP5ZO7dgYYXfxSwlClpDS0G6L6kYZhk2FNrGiaIRiXz6vnbL_KujG66YmvX763ueobgtyUL2E2OfIqbfRWbCGAswuRngAVaondjZ9j_6EYbHI4KgYcgVtzGixhVh5etC8bA3WQ8S7uKnt1zq-f72paGm3glTFY4oNDB_iIJrj0wY-AxGveZh_6HSl2l9=w671-h893-no
I have one too, although a more basic model. During the move I lost the extension tubes and only have one left. It's a good tool, but I don't enjoy using one. The tubes are stiff and hard to store (I don't want them as wall decoration) and they leak old oil for a while after they'd been used.

I will look into Valvomax @Trav mentioned.

I have one too, although a more basic model. During the move I lost the extension tubes and only have one left. It's a good tool, but I don't enjoy using one. The tubes are stiff and hard to store (I don't want them as wall decoration) and they leak old oil for a while after they'd been used.

I will look into Valvomax @Trav mentioned.
I keep the MityVac in the box it came in and just put the tubes in as well. I only use the smaller diameter tube anyways as I can fish it down into the engine easier. I swap the filter every 2nd or even 3rd service. Easy peasey.

Yes, $45-50 is a little salty when a “mere” Fumoto valve can be had in the mid-$20s. I’d use Fumoto on my zero turn, though 😂
Well, Fumoto looks like it came from a Home Depot plumbing section, so there is that, $20 is still quite a lot for such a simple device.
And after having one for a few years now, it OK at best IMO.

Last edited:
Well, Fumoto looks like it came from a Home Depot plumbing section, so there is that, $20 is still quite a lot for such a simple device.
And after having one for a few years now, it OK at best IMO.
Buy yourself a Stahlbus, it’s worth it. If you search my OCI posts on my ‘19 3.5EB you’ll find valve and installed pics. It’s worth every penny in my book. Already added 3 of the Stahlbus on my ‘07 Electra Glide. My Impreza and Transit Connect will be getting them in spring!

Back