Fumoto Valve-long term endurance

Do these fumoto valves stand up to hot/cold climates in the long term?Since the body is made of brass would cold weather split the valves body?I have one and I’m ready to install but a few concerns I have.Thanks

I ain't the @TheLastWord but I bought one in 1986 for a new Acura Integra and kept it for 7 years on the east coast ..never an issue...funny it worked great but I never bought another...I don't think they made one for my next vehicle and I just moved on.

The only complaint I had about the valve is the oil flow was slow. Made the change take longer than it could have. I added greasing my zerks on my u-joints to the task nd that took up the time but I blamed the valve when I had the reach around at odd angles to get to the zerks at every change and deal with the grease mess. :)

Do these fumoto valves stand up to hot/cold climates in the long term?Since the body is made of brass would cold weather split the valves body?I have one and I’m ready to install but a few concerns I have.Thanks
Alternatives if you're not comfortable with the Fumoto design.

I've had them on vehicles for many years. They still work, problem free, after all this time. It's a solid product.

Taking too long to drain? Bug or feature? It's a feature where I can lay under the car and not have to go back into the house right away where the wife will find something to yell about or for me to do.

The only risk of splitting it in cold weather would be if there was water, at which point you have a bigger problem. That being said, mine is going on a year old, no problems yet. Survived its first winter on my truck.

You may want to check the Valvomax and Stahlbus out also. I tried the Fumoto and after dropping the pan found it left quite a bit of oil and it looked like a refugee from the Home Depot. I have 4 Valvomax in service, all stainless steel, made in USA and veteran owned.
I put 5qts in and got 5qts out so if any oil is left behind it is very minimal.

You may want to check the Valvomax and Stahlbus out also.
I've been considering the Valvomax for my WRX. Maybe today is the day I place an order....

The drain plug on that car is, I think, made out of pot metal! It already looks like it'd been removed and replaced about a thousand times.

I had one for 8 years on my previous F150. No issues at all. Held up through Midwest winters, gravel roads and off roading.

It’s true due that to the design I probably only removed 5.9 qts from the 6 qt system and that it drained significantly slower. The slow part I remedied by changing the oil when the engine was warm. The leaving some oil remaining at the bottom of the pan I remedied by not sweating the small stuff.

I've been considering the Valvomax for my WRX. Maybe today is the day I place an order....

The drain plug on that car is, I think, made out of pot metal! It already looks like it'd been removed and replaced about a thousand times.
The Valvomax style is the best for Subaru, the Fumoto hangs down and is in dangerous spot.

The Valvomax style is the best for Subaru, the Fumoto hangs down and is in dangerous spot.
This is a good point. The location of the valve was beside the oil pan on my F150. I’d have some serious reservations about running one that hung down below the pan.

The only complaint I had about the valve is the oil flow was slow. Made the change take longer than it could have. I added greasing my zerks on my u-joints to the task nd that took up the time but I blamed the valve when I had the reach around at odd angles to get to the zerks at every change and deal with the grease mess. :)

I actually liked that it slowed down 7 quarts of hot 0W20 splashing all over including me … I can reach under with one hand and get that going while getting the new stuff ready to go in …

This is a good point. The location of the valve was beside the oil pan on my F150. I’d have some serious reservations about running one that hung down below the pan.
It’s always something to think about - my Jeep pan could be hit by driftwood or brush - Lexus is just low & filter underneath …
But, both of my 5.3’s have them - fairly well protected …
and I do two OCI’s on a filter - sweetness then 😷

I had one on a '98 Expedition for 14 years and on a '10 Flex for 13 years, never had an issue in the summer heat or winter cold in Minnesota.

I put one on my 2011 Kia Optima at the first oil change and took it off 10 years later to put it on my 2021 Kia K5. No issues.

Back