Fumoto valve and road debris incident

They make both clips and springs for retention.

Back in the day when I had my Dmax, I used a Fvalve and it was pointed slightly down, so I was worried. I got a spring clip just like the metal ones in their accessories now.

They make both clips and springs for retention.

Back in the day when I had my Dmax, I used a Fvalve and it was pointed slightly down, so I was worried. I got a spring clip just like the metal ones in their accessories now.
Yeah. One time, I had to go back and purchase the adapter to get it to fit.

So sorry to learn of your travails, and, of course, happy to know all worked out alright.

Years ago I put a Fumoto valve on a 1972 Mercedes 4.5 that I had. When my mechanic saw it he strongly urged me to remove it and replace it with the standard plug. He told me he had seen two situations where the plug was compromised, and I followed his advice. I never looked back.

If you look under enough vehicles, you'll find any number that show signs of undercarriage mishaps ... scrapes, dents, bangs, and bruises of various sorts.

As I said, I'm happy about your result. I understand that it was a freak situation. For me, I just don't see any potential saving of time, energy, resources, or money that would make me willing to chance another Fumoto (or other) accessory valve.
depends on the orientation of the plug.

My 2019 MX-5 has the plug on the right side of the pan, but it's got a full sized (OEM) metal pan protecting it, so it would have to have the pan ripped off before getting to the drain plug area.

My 2018 Taurus has the drain plug on the backside of the pan; impossible to hit unless I rip the entire pan off.

Some applicaitons are not as well protected.

Just opened the package - Fumoto for the new Tahoe (left one on the 2017) …
This time I got a stubby - no nipple to keep it short … Will use the clip too …

6F6605B6-E7F8-4E57-BA68-DCC1E30AC53E.jpeg

I don't see this as a Fumoto failure; it did what it was supposed to do. Somthing manipulated the lever and so the fluid released; that's not a product "fail". It's a freak accident. I've had two F-valves over many years and never had one issue. Just ordered another for my Taurus today as a matter of fact.

Curious, did the Fumoto have the safety clip installed? Or the upgraded lock spring? How is the valve oriented?
Call it whatever you want but this incident doesn’t happen with a drain plug.

I ran a Fumoto Valve for 12 years on a Volkswagen Rabbit Diesel with no problems. But the fact remains they have that exposed lever, and what you experienced can and does happen. And on many applications they require an extension, making matters worse.

Now I run the Valvomax System on all of my vehicles. No exposed lever, and a full 3 layers of leak protection. It's a much better system all the way around.

Now I run the Valvomax System on all of my vehicles. No exposed lever, and a full 3 layers of leak protection. It's a much better system all the way around.

That looks like a worthwhile alternative to the F-valve.

It takes a serious effort plus two distinct motions to open a Fumoto drain valve. It sits on a spring. First, the lever is rotated, then pushed into a notch, to open the valve. Again, significant intentional force is required.

wwillson and I agree.
Billion to one chronology of events occurred.

With the built in nipple, plastic tube, and a used oil container bottle, a clean, no fuss oil change is possible.
I agree. I did two oil changes last week and it was a bit of effort to get both fumotos opened. Rare occurrence.

We need to submit this to MythBusters!!!

Talk about one in a million things, 2 days ago I knocked a M12 x 25 bolt of the bench onto the rubber mat covered floor. I went to look for it and found it standing upright thread end down right under where it fell from.
Anyway, Valvo Max for me, the company is veteran owned and made in the USA from stainless steel with a screw on cap. I tried that refugee from the plumbing aisle at home depot Fumoto and decided this was not a good idea on a vehicle, on an stationary engine its fine.

Last edited:
That looks like a worthwhile alternative to the F-valve.
Nice kit - but already got another Fumoto. One thing I love is with a Fram Ultra - I do every other oil change no ramps and in 10 minutes - clean and easy … Both Tahoe’s have good ground clearance and things blocking the pan area …

I don't see this as a Fumoto failure; it did what it was supposed to do. Somthing manipulated the lever and so the fluid released; that's not a product "fail". It's a freak accident. I've had two F-valves over many years and never had one issue. Just ordered another for my Taurus today as a matter of fact.

Curious, did the Fumoto have the safety clip installed? Or the upgraded lock spring? How is the valve oriented?
It absolutely is a failure. It failed to remain closed. If a normal drain plug was in, this would’ve been a non issue.

Even though the odds are very, very low, this valve simply adds another failure mode. OP is super lucky it failed just before parking the vehicle.

I have one installed in my minivan and I’m not really impressed with it. It drains very slowly with hot oil, there are limited number of positions it can be installed safely and if your thread count happen to be just off by half a turn or so, the lever may be exposed.

This product is definitely hyped up on the internet, but since I paid for it already, may as well use it. But I highly doubt I will buy another. And it has nothing to do with this incident, I’ve expressed my dissatisfaction with it a long time ago.

It absolutely is a failure. It failed to remain closed. If a normal drain plug was in, this would’ve been a non issue.

Even though the odds are very, very low, this valve simply adds another failure mode. OP is super lucky it failed just before parking the vehicle.

I have one installed in my minivan and I’m not really impressed with it. It drains very slowly with hot oil, there are limited number of positions it can be installed safely and if your thread count happen to be just off by half a turn or so, the lever may be exposed.

This product is definitely hyped up on the internet, but since I paid for it already, may as well use it. But I highly doubt I will buy another. And it has nothing to do with this incident, I’ve expressed my dissatisfaction with it a long time ago.
I actually like that they throttle hot oil … Lots of hydrostatic in 8 quart system and thin oil burned & splashed all over …
Only use them on 2/4ths - the Lexus is too low - the Jeep goes off road and remote …

Was there no undertray to protect the bottom of the vehicle so snagging debris like this are minimized?

I ran a Fumoto Valve for 12 years on a Volkswagen Rabbit Diesel with no problems. But the fact remains they have that exposed lever, and what you experienced can and does happen. And on many applications they require an extension, making matters worse.

This is what I use and really like it. I also used a Fumoto years ago and prefer the Valvomax.

I am not a fan of the Fumoto valve, but then again I have never used one. So there's that...
For ease of oil change services, I flat out love the MityVac.

That failure is certainly a one-in-a-bazillion occurance. Also great there was no engine damage!
Buy a lotto ticket, you are hot!

Last edited:
Back