Full synthetic or EP?

I’m getting ready to do the 60k service on my wife’s Escape 2.0L ecoboost. I’m online looking at Walmart sales and ordering oil but I’m stuck in the close price between full synthetic and EP. Valvoline and Castro are only about $3-4 per 5 quart jug higher for their EP oil over full syn. I’d never use the oil for its long drain capabilities but like knowing it’s fortified with extra cleaners and such. Are there actually benefits to using EP over full sun for a 5k max change in my turbo GDI car?

I’m getting ready to do the 60k service on my wife’s Escape 2.0L ecoboost. I’m online looking at Walmart sales and ordering oil but I’m stuck in the close price between full synthetic and EP. Valvoline and Castro are only about $3-4 per 5 quart jug higher for their EP oil over full syn. I’d never use the oil for its long drain capabilities but like knowing it’s fortified with extra cleaners and such. Are there actually benefits to using EP over full sun for a 5k max change in my turbo GDI car?
What are cleaners and how do you know it has extra?

Valvoline Extended Performance is not intended for extended drain intervals like Castrol Edge EP or M1EP.

For 5k mile intervals, you're likely not going to see a noticeable difference between the "standard" varieties from Valvoline & Castrol or their more expensive counterparts because none should be at their protection limits unless there is a serious fuel dilution issue

Doubt it will make any difference, but since you have a GDI, I prefer to change sooner than later. Save yourself a few bucks. At a 5K interval, you're good to go.

For 5k mile changes, buy the non-EP version and save the $$.

Valvoline is $23 at Walmart, and you get the hassle free $5 rebate back from Valvoline in less than a week.

For 5k any full synthetic is good but ep oil give and extra peace of mind if go over it.

I just ran Edge on my 2 liter ford and it didnt work well. I have Quaker State Full Synthetic 10w30 and I HIGHLY recommend it.

Engine loves it, and it ran better in all aspect than 5W20 even on cold mornings.

My Cleveland 2 liter engine is similar to yours, but non turbo. You have different heads, rods and pistons.
Mine has Tubular stainless headers, you don't have an external exhaust manifold - its cast in head. Another reason for a 10W30.

Try it, I guarantee you will not be disappointed !

Product data sheet stated it.
Well what I saw was:

Outperforms our conventional and synthetic blend oils
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 motor oil outperforms our conventional and synthetic blend oils. The advanced full synthetic formula can also help:​
  • Extend engine life
  • Clean up engine sludge with active cleaning agents
  • Deliver quick cold-weather starts with outstanding low-temperature capabilities
Which if you read it carefully it only says in comparison to their conventional and synthetic blend oils. Really the only thing the EP product guarantees is a longer OCI, which if you are not taking advantage of it doesn't make the extra cost worth the money.

I just ran Edge on my 2 liter ford and it didnt work well. I have Quaker State Full Synthetic 10w30 and I HIGHLY recommend it.

Engine loves it, and it ran better in all aspect than 5W20 even on cold mornings.

My Cleveland 2 liter engine is similar to yours, but non turbo. You have different heads, rods and pistons.
Mine has Tubular stainless headers, you don't have an external exhaust manifold - its cast in head. Another reason for a 10W30.

Try it, I guarantee you will not be disappointed !

Is there any particular reason why you chose 10W-30 over 5W 30?

Well what I saw was:

Outperforms our conventional and synthetic blend oils

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 motor oil outperforms our conventional and synthetic blend oils. The advanced full synthetic formula can also help:

• Extend engine life
  • Clean up engine sludge with active cleaning agents
  • Deliver quick cold-weather starts with outstanding low-temperature capabilities
Which if you read it carefully it only says in comparison to their conventional and synthetic blend oils. Really the only thing the EP product guarantees is a longer OCI, which if you are not taking advantage of that doesn't make the extra cost worth the money.
Just out of curiosity, is your goal to try and contradict everything somebody posts on this website or do you ever actually offer up advice or your opinion that doesn’t come out in a negative form?

You were able to conclusively determine it was mechanical shear? Can you link that UOA?
Following in your answering style, Use the search link at the top of the page search the used oil analysis forum posted by and try my user name if that doesn’t work for you search for 2018 Ford escape 2.0 L.

I went and read exactly what you told me to read. I don’t know what else to tell you.
Valvoline Extended Protection Full Synthetic SAE 5W-30 Engine Oil Advantages:
Innovative additive boosterto help protect against wear
Fortified detergent system to help reduce deposits, sludge, andvarnish formation
Enhanced thermal and oxidative stability
Flows easily at lowtemperature for enhanced cold start protection

That is from the Valvoline website PDS. You pulled up information from the mobile one website that I never mentioned or asked about. Like I said, every post I read from you is trying to contradict somebody else who posted above you. If that’s what you enjoy doing by all means have fun, I was just curious if that was your goal or if that’s just the way you come across. Anyway, thank you for your response I welcome all opinions and experiences from all members here.

Valvoline Extended Protection Full Synthetic SAE 5W-30 Engine Oil Advantages:
Innovative additive boosterto help protect against wear
Fortified detergent system to help reduce deposits, sludge, andvarnish formation
Enhanced thermal and oxidative stability
Flows easily at lowtemperature for enhanced cold start protection

That is from the Valvoline website PDS. You pulled up information from the mobile one website that I never mentioned or asked about. Like I said, every post I read from you is trying to contradict somebody else who posted above you. If that’s what you enjoy doing by all means have fun, I was just curious if that was your goal or if that’s just the way you come across. Anyway, thank you for your response I welcome all opinions and experiences from all members here.
You are correct that’s where it is from. I didn’t see in your title nor in your post that it was the Valvoline product and for that I apologize. Still though I’m a bit unsure about the extra cleaners as compared to a regular Valvoline product.

If I’m being equally snarky by all means let me know.

Back