Fuel economy / power difference 5w30, 0w-30 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: M6ser
do you think there will be noticeable fuel economy or engine power feel difference ?

If you take the engine out of the car and put it on a dynamometer, you have a pretty good chance at being able to read a HP gain.
If you leave the engine in the car you have a very low probability of feeling any difference.

As to fuel economy:
A motor oil can deliver 2%-3% gains.
A change in driving habits can result in 20% gains.
So your driving habits are 10× what the change in oil can deliver and can EASILY swamp any change in oil.

and, the worse your driving is (efficiency wise) the smaller the % gain is that you can get from a change in motor oil. Reduced friction only works against parasitic losses, not against braking and aerodynamic losses which is where the majority of excess fuel useage goes to.

Early days of my turbo-diesel Nissan (2003-2005), before I gave up chasing economy through oils...the Castrol was 12.9cst, so I guessed that it would have been best for economy...

mileage.jpg

then gave up.

I have run nearly the full spectrum of oil weights thru my Silverado. M1 AFE 0w-30, 5w-30, 10w-30, Castrol European 0w-30 & 0w-40 even some Maxlife 10w-40.

I have never been able to tell the difference in mileage or performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back