Fuel additive: Any chemists out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TC

Out of curiosity, I'm trying to do some reverse-engineering after using a $5 bottle of "Prestone Fuel System Cleaner." In order, the CAS numbers listed on the bottle are below, and I correlated these to specific additives through a quick internet search:

#8052-41-3 -- Aliphatic Hydrocarbons/Stoddard
Solvent/Mineral Spirits
#8008-20-6 -- Aliphatic Hydrocarbons/Kerosene
#64742-95-6 -- Light Aromatic Solvent Naphtha

My question is, how might this formulation rate as a fuel system cleaner? Good? Sucks? Not only effectiveness in cleaning, but drawbacks in the form of leaving cylinder deposits and/or modest harm to rubber/nylon components. THANKS!

Basically you have a run-of-the-mill OTC fuel system cleaner containing kerosene and some solvents.

Over time, it will probably do the job. IN suggested treatment rates, probably is ok for seals.

As with any fuel system cleaner, moderation is the key.

Thanks, MolaKule. I sorta figured as much after seeing what the CAS numbers corresponded to. Basically, I dumped a bottle of jet fuel (kerosene) into my Mopar. The injectors are a bit cleaner, but the car still can't fly.

[ October 13, 2003, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: TC ]

The light aromatics listed last will give the formulation more bite when it comes to cutting deposits. It is also more likely to soften and swell seals.

The other materials may mainly make it look like you are getting more, or may function by sticking around longer to dissolve deposits because it evaporates slower. Think how much quicker a gas spill goes away than a kerosene spill.

So add a dab of lacquer thinner to your jet fuel next time. Not responsible for destroyed seals.

Excellent feedback here -- thanks. In short, what specific chemicals, solvents, and/or formulated additive package might you prefer to see in an occasional "fuel system" or "fuel injector" cleaner? (Unfortunately many bottles or spec sheets don't fully list their ingredients, but thankfully, some do. I guess this is where the MSDSs come into play...)

Actually, the MSDS' don't give you whole the story, for there may be items in the cleaner that they aren't required to list, or somehow the mix is too proprietary.

Regarding the mix of solvents and oil carriers, there are about 300 hundred or better useful hydrocarbon solvents one could use. Add to that the combinations of these solvents and at various ratios and you could have upward of 3 million combinations, so there is no simple answer. Toxicity is another concern, since many of these chemicals are carcinogenic.

I would stick with one of these four (in no specific order or recommendation):

Amsoil PI
Redline SI-1
Schaeffer's Neutra
Odis Beaver's Fuel Power

[ October 14, 2003, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

If you let people know how much of which cheap, common chemicals are in the bottle, how can you charge $35/gallon for it?

Thanks, MolaKule. If, over the next few weeks or so, you could please list those 3 million combinations, I'm sure we'd all appreciate it. And Labman, any chance you could estimate our net prices for those 3 million? Thanks! Much appreciated.

HA! Kidding...

I get it. It's not the handful of common and fairly universal ingredients I suspected for these "cleaners." And as an Occupational Health & Safety Administrator, I've dealt with MSDS's "proprietary" conundrum before. And this can be very unfunny at times... I knew an engineer who worked for Boeing at Air Force Plant 42 in Palmdale, CA, the place where they work on everything from the Space Shuttle to next-generation spy planes. A number of people were complaining about some serious health maladies, but apparently the only response they ever got was "proprietary chemicals....we can't tell you." I understand that at least a few of these guys had to go on disability due to their conditions.

[ October 14, 2003, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: TC ]

Quote:

Actually, the MSDS' don't give you whole the story, for there may be items in the cleaner that they aren't required to list, or somehow the mix is too proprietary.

Regarding the mix of solvents and oil carriers, there are about 300 hundred or better useful hydrocarbon solvents one could use. Add to that the combinations of these solvents and at various ratios and you could have upward of 3 million combinations, so there is no simple answer. Toxicity is another concern, since many of these chemicals are carcinogenic.

Amsoil PI
Redline SI-1
Schaeffer's Neutra
Odis Beaver's Fuel Power

I know this is an old thread, but I'm surprised Techron didn't make the list.

Quote:

Quote:

Amsoil PI
Redline SI-1
Schaeffer's Neutra
Odis Beaver's Fuel Power

Why are you reviving threads that are 3.5 years old?!
In another thread (one in which I believe you posted), some members were giving another a hard time because he's always touting Amsoil products - I'm starting to think the same could be said about you and Techron. We know you like it and that it's a good product, but enough is enough.
twocents.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Amsoil PI
Redline SI-1
Schaeffer's Neutra
Odis Beaver's Fuel Power

In another thread (one in which I believe you posted), some members were giving another a hard time because he's always touting Amsoil products - I'm starting to think the same could be said about you and Techron. We know you like it and that it's a good product, but enough is enough.
twocents.gif

it's a combination of things:
boredom
reasearch
reading
conversation.

sooo, stop reading the posts.

Let me take a stab at this.

While searching for information about Prestone Complete Fuel System Cleaner in order to decide if I should take advantage of the Free-After-Rebate offer at AutoZone, the search engine kicked out the very thread you are now reading.

When 'surfstar' mentioned on the F-A-R thread that he couldn't find the MSDS anywhere online, I linked to this thread in an attempt to help him and anyone else who might also be interested.

Now I'm no psychic, but I'm going to take a wild guess and assume that 'rsylvstr' got to this thread via the F-A-R thread. Therefore, it's my 'fault'.
tongue.gif
grin.gif

Let me take a stab at this.

While searching for information about Prestone Complete Fuel System Cleaner in order to decide if I should take advantage of the Free-After-Rebate offer at AutoZone, the search engine kicked out the very thread you are now reading.

When 'surfstar' mentioned on the F-A-R thread that he couldn't find the MSDS anywhere online, I linked to this thread in an attempt to help him and anyone else who might also be interested.

Now I'm no psychic, but I'm going to take a wild guess and assume that 'rsylvstr' got to this thread via the F-A-R thread. Therefore, it's my 'fault'.
tongue.gif
grin.gif

I'm glad you can take responsibility for your actions!
cheers.gif

desmonsm: YOU DONE YET????
spam.gif

Quote:

I see no problems with reviving old threads if it's relevant
smile.gif
I do it quite often.

And is really how things should be done. Imagine someone trying to read up & learn before posting a question that has been asked hundreds of times. Hmm, wait, that might make sense!
pat2.gif

desmonsm: YOU DONE YET????
spam.gif

rsylvstr: I'M JUST GETTING WARMED UP!!!
stirthepot.gif

Quote:

Quote:

I see no problems with reviving old threads if it's relevant
smile.gif
I do it quite often.

And is really how things should be done. Imagine someone trying to read up & learn before posting a question that has been asked hundreds of times. Hmm, wait, that might make sense!
pat2.gif

Thank you Ben, that's what I'm trying to say. He has over 1,300 posts in 3 months. I'm glad he's contributing, but I believe many of his posts are specific questions that could be answered by using the search feature. He obviously knows how to use it or he wouldn't have found threads that have been dead for 3.5 years! Maybe there should be a rule that you can't start a new thread unless you use the search feature first. Just a crazy thought of mine...
whistle.gif

Ben - are you a member over at DA as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back