Frugal Shaving Soap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many years ago, I *Had* to shave, & had no canned shave cream/foam/goo or shaving soap. I did have a brush from the drugstore, & so tried using my wife's Dove ladies facial soap & the brush. I went heavy on the preparation, & it gave a good shave. That would have been roughly 1977, so for all I know the formulation of Dove may have changed several times since then.
grin2.gif

Still, for making your own blends, it might be worth a try.

Originally Posted By: hotwheels
Originally Posted By: jcwit
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forum.php

I have been a member there for many years, long before even hearing of Bitog. Beating lather on the expert forum does get boring after a while and I'd rather convince an uninitiated person to try a DE razor and real shaving soap than preaching only to the choir.

You like off-the-shelf products, I prefer making concoctions. I don't try to convince you my way is the right one for you, but I expect the same courtesy from you.

hotwheels

What makes you think I even care.

You may use dish soap for all I care.

Originally Posted By: UncleS2
Many years ago, I *Had* to shave, & had no canned shave cream/foam/goo or shaving soap. I did have a brush from the drugstore, & so tried using my wife's Dove ladies facial soap & the brush. I went heavy on the preparation, & it gave a good shave. That would have been roughly 1977, so for all I know the formulation of Dove may have changed several times since then.
grin2.gif

Still, for making your own blends, it might be worth a try.

I'm sorry, but Dove soap is a no-go. I'll tell you why. In 1983 I was with my classmates on a three-day field trip. On the second evening I ate something that didn't agree with me and during the night I became violently ill. I left a trail of vomit from my bed to the bathroom at the hostel where we were staying. I cleaned myself up with Dove soap. Ever since, even the faintest whiff of Dove soap triggers immediate nausea and unpleasant memories.

hotwheels

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forum.php

I have been a member there for many years, long before even hearing of Bitog. Beating lather on the expert forum does get boring after a while and I'd rather convince an uninitiated person to try a DE razor and real shaving soap than preaching only to the choir.

You like off-the-shelf products, I prefer making concoctions. I don't try to convince you my way is the right one for you, but I expect the same courtesy from you.

hotwheels

What makes you think I even care.

You may use dish soap for all I care.

Thank you for stopping by. You did not disappoint me.

hotwheels

hotwheels,

Do you tell your wife not to ever buy Dove soap ?

As for me, any bar soap works well for shaving, I don't have grizzly bear hair growth on my face luckily.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
hotwheels,

Do you tell your wife not to ever buy Dove soap ?

As for me, any bar soap works well for shaving, I don't have grizzly bear hair growth on my face luckily.

The no-Dove-soap-ever clause is part of the prenup.

I think any soap will provide sufficient lubrication for shaving, but thick lather makes the stubble stand up better, which makes shaving more efficient. Not all bar soaps are capable of producing thick lather.

hotwheels

hotwheels
Glad to be of service, you seem to be behaving the same as on another thread.

hotwheels

Where exactly did I offend you?

hotwheels

hotwheels

hotwheels

LOL, what in Heaven's name gave you that idea, I've got much thicker skin than that, you seem to be the one unable to take as good as you dish.

hotwheels

hotwheels

LOL, what in Heaven's name gave you that idea, I've got much thicker skin than that, you seem to be the one unable to take as good as you dish.

You suddenly lashing out, without good reason, I may add, gave me the idea I had offended you. Clearly I was wrong and you are just a rude git, being yourself.

hotwheels

You really have a problem with others posting!

I made a post showing 2 different shaving soaps and suggested a shaving site to all the others out there.

You at once came back with this

Your quote{You like off-the-shelf products, I prefer making concoctions. I don't try to convince you my way is the right one for you, but I expect the same courtesy from you.}

I wasn't trying to convince you or anyone of anything, but you sir make the claim I am. Such is your mistake.

Now you claim, I'm offended and lashing out, further you claim I'm rude git, and it seems you have the need to resort to name calling, sorry, you need to look in the mirror and check out yourself.

You should notice I refrain from name calling even tho you are a joke.

Furthermore, use whatever soap/detergent you wish for shaving, or use none at all, if that will make you happy, go for it.

I believe in using most products for what they were intended for, I do not use ATF in my engine, nor cutting oil either for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back