Frugal Shaving Soap

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a few generic 2 oz twist-up containers to make my own shave soap sticks. While I like Speick shave soap sticks, they come without a container, which is a bit messy.

Today I took a bunch of small motel soaps, which I never use but always swipe, and mixed them with Speick shave soap stick remains, grated them, mixed with water and vegetable glycerine, and added some tea tree oil. Boiled it all in a water bath until the soap melted, mixed it all together well and filled a few twist-up sticks, the insides of which I first sprayed with cooking oil. The soap is now solidifying.

I suppose one could repurpose an empty twist-up deoderant container to save another $2.

hotwheels

Hotwheels...I make shave mugs similarly.

Need to redo my mug, just need the better half to stop throwing out the soap slivers.

I thought about doing that in the past but never did.I did the soap melt and poured into a small ramekin using Williams shave soap and /or Colgate shaving soap and Pears glycerin soap which resulted in a pretty darn good mix.

I also use the partial soap remnants to make homemade laundry detergent.Melt in lots of water add borax and/or baking soda,let cool to a a runny gel consistency.If you want scent add some cheap shampoo.Good for jeans and work clothes towels etc.A bit harsh for some delicates.You can make 2 gallons of it for almost nothing.

The closest I've come to that is to grate some tallow-based shave soap(Williams and something else, dunno what it was), put it loosely into an empty mug, then pour some microwave-melted glycerin-based shave soap(Van Der Hagen) over it. Sort of a "smooth & chunky" mix. It worked OK but wasn't great.

For sticks, you can make your own out of almost anything. If you can ever find any old Irish Moos sticks, they shave great.

My Old Spice is wearing down pretty fast now, gonna really hate having to get used to something else again.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: jcwit
For the cheap cost of a good quality shave stick
https://www.bestshave.net/arko-shaving-soap-sticks-75-gr-p-234.html

I fail to see the sense in using face/body soap to attempt to get a shave.

Sorta like taking your wife out to Micky D's for an anniversary dinner.

Arko sticks are cheap. The Speick sticks I use are close to $6 without shipping. You can't use them up all the way and you are left with a small amount in the plastic base. You can easily stretch the Speick soap stick with some decent glycerine soap. I also plan on refilling my twist-up container with just Speick soap for convenience. The twist-up container can hold about twice as much soap.

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Is Dollar Tree broken?

In the Mission District or in any other ghetto, I suppose they do. Do they carry shaving soap sticks, and would I go there?

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I use remnants body soap to shave many years without problem, no need for shave stick.

I driven cheap cars for years, no need for a Volvo.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I use remnants body soap to shave many years without problem, no need for shave stick.

You can lather up your remnants more conveniently with a shave stick than with a slippery sliver of bar soap! When you're done you throw your twist-up container in your toilet bag without a mess.

hotwheels

Also as a plus for those who consider shaving a hobby and not a chore doing stuff like this is fun,an experiment.Sort of like the guys here who blend their own oil combinations.

Hot Wheels---keep your eyes open in antique store.I picked up my first shave stick in one.Vintage Kaloderma that came in a chrome travel tube,very cool.Shop owner told me it was a barbers styptic stick.LOL.

Arko is pretty good.LaToja and Lea shave sticks come in plastic carriers and one of them has ventilation holes in the cap for the soap to dry.On a side note LaToja is a very good soap,better than the Lea or Arko.

urrloard, you are right, I love messing around with soaps and making my own concocotions.

I'll have to try the La Toja shaving stick one of these days - so many guys are raving about it. Next time I order something from westcoastshaving.com, I'll add a stick to my order.

hotwheels

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forum.php

I have been a member there for many years, long before even hearing of Bitog. Beating lather on the expert forum does get boring after a while and I'd rather convince an uninitiated person to try a DE razor and real shaving soap than preaching only to the choir.

You like off-the-shelf products, I prefer making concoctions. I don't try to convince you my way is the right one for you, but I expect the same courtesy from you.

hotwheels

I use shave soap in a bowl, but also just regular shave gel and now I'm trying shave foam for the first time in a long time.

But what's the benefit of a shave stick vs soap in a bowl? Is it a neatness factor?

And do you apply it straight to the face?

Originally Posted By: Evanson
I use shave soap in a bowl, but also just regular shave gel and now I'm trying shave foam for the first time in a long time.

But what's the benefit of a shave stick vs soap in a bowl? Is it a neatness factor?

And do you apply it straight to the face?

Speaking only for me, a shave stick is preferable during travel. At home I use shave soap in a mug or cream from a tube and a good badger brush. When traveling I use the stick, because it takes little space and doesn't make a nasty mess in my toiletbag like a tube can. I do use a small boar brush when traveling. No biggie should I lose it.

You wet your face thoroughly and rub the stick over your face until you have a layer of soap on it. The you can use your presoaked shaving brush to get lather right on your face. On occasions when I have forgotten my shaving brush, I just use my wet hands instead of a brush. Using a brush is however better and also exfoliates the skin much better.

My favorite shaving stick is the Speick stick. I love the smell of the Speick herbal plant, found only in a particular region of the Austrian Alps, used in making this soap.

hotwheels

I have one of these for travel. I just pop in a regular shave soap bar the first time I finished it.

jabonwilkinson.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back