Front Windshield Leaking?

The Critic

3FCA1D5F-7D2C-422F-9B00-7E0222FB1280.jpeg

FIL’s 08 Camry, front windshield was replaced a few years ago.

Yesterday, I washed the car using my pressure washer. The car had been sitting outside all day and the ambient temp was ~50F; the water used was probably around the same temp. Immediately after rinsing I noticed the front windshield fogs up. The other windows did not exhibit this issue.

I do not see any water drops inside of the front windshield, but is that moisture indicative of a poor seal?

View attachment 139302

FIL’s 08 Camry, front windshield was replaced a few years ago.

Yesterday, I washed the car using my pressure washer. The car had been sitting outside all day and the ambient temp was ~50F; water used was probably about the same temp. Immediately after rinsing I noticed that the front windshield fogs up. The other windows don’t have an issue, only the front windshield.

I do not see any water drops inside of the front windshield, but is that moisture indicative of a poor seal?
I would check the lower seal. They should have placed a bead all of the way across on the bottom....

You probably got water inside of the heater core / evaporator box when you pressure washed it, said water evaporated, vapor came out the defroster vents (most vehicles default to the defroster vent when the actuator is not getting power or vacuum) and condensed on the windshield.

Same reason why most vehicles fog up the windshield when you're driving in the rain and it's cool enough outside and you don't have the defroster turned on.

Not necessarily.
It could be that the HVAC system sucked up some very humid air after the car was washed (from the base of the windshield, outside the car).
It then created the condensation on the inside.

I would check the lower seal. They should have placed a bead all of the way across on the bottom....
It was common for many techs at Safelite to leave the cowl/wipers on with Toyotas, cut out the old windshield, apply urethane to the top and side pinchwelds and then “drop” the new one in place.

• Wow
Reactions: hrv
It could be residual moisture in the HVAC system from your cleaning, I nice afternoon jaunt around down with the windows down and radio on would clear it up 🙂

Or, if you suspect the bond job on the glass is suspect, use a technique I saw from a Buick Know How video

Using a compressed air wand (regulated to a modest pressure) and a spray bottle of dish soap/water
Spray around the outside of the glass, while directing the blow gun around the interior edge of the windshield
You would theoretically see the soap bubbles, much like looking for a slow leaking bead on a wheel/tire
For the whole car, run the blower on high+recirculation, now you've positive pressured the interior, spray away with your soap and water, hopefully you find the leak (if there is one)

If they messed with the cowl, are all clips and weatherstrips secured just right?

My experiences with mobile glass work have been universally poor

Back