Chrysler A604 help

Hey guys, 1993 Dodge Shadow, 3.0 and A604 transmission. Got up this morning and cleaned up the engine bay from yesterday's transmission fluid change, (searching for a fluid leak, long story). Degreaser on the oily parts, then a 5-gallon bucket of hot soapy water, and another bucket of clear hot water to rinse. Towel dried the major stuff off, and installed a new idle air control valve, as the old one was acting strange. Went and ran some errands for about an hour and the car drove and shifted flawlessly. It sat in the driveway for a few hours, then I washed it. Went to go on another errand and it's locked in 2nd gear. Came back home and checked for codes. 12, 17, 55. 12 and 55 can be disregarded. 17 means the engine has been running cold for too long.

I've known for a while that the thermostat must be stuck wide open because it takes forever for this car to warm up in cold weather. Unplugged the negative terminal for a few minutes, plugged it back in, and the tranny still starts and remains in second gear. Checked codes again, 12, 55. This time it hasn't noticed a cold engine, but the transmission is still locked in second. Have unhooked the battery a couple more times and gone for test drives, nothing changes. Still no new codes.

Checked the transmission control module for moisture, but being at the right front corner of the engine bay, it didn't get any degreaser or hot water in its general area. I'm not even sure if this is a water intrusion problem or not, just trying to figure out the possibilities since the TCM doesn't communicate error codes.

Any ideas what is suddenly going wrong? Pretty much anything that goes wrong with the engine or transmission in these cars and they default to second gear, so there's a lot of narrowing that needs to happen. Thanks for any input.

Since this happened right after cleaning the engine compartment I'd be looking for moisture in a speed sensor or solenoid pack harness. I don't think the transmission on these communicates any codes to the check engine light doing the key dance, but it's been so long I can't remember. 12 and 55 will be burned in my memory forever.

Last edited:
Since this happened right after cleaning the engine compartment I'd be looking for moisture in a speed sensor or solenoid pack harness. I don't think the transmission on these communicates any codes to the check engine light doing the key dance, but it's been so long I can't remember. 12 and 55 will be burned in my memory forever.
I planned to look at the input shaft speed sensor tonight when I get home from work, as it's in the general area where I concentrated most of my cleaning efforts. Output shaft sensor is easier to get to, so I'll take a look at it too. I've ordered both from RockAuto (genuine Mopar) as it seems if water got in there, it may have shorted one or both of them out. From there, all I can think of is a new TCM.

Pulled the plug on what I believe is a solenoid pack harness, dry as a bone.

Screenshot_20230206-052127-619.jpg

Isn’t the 12 for “battery disconnect” and 55 the end of the codes read ?

May take some drives to get the actual DTC to pop up
I did. The transmission control module does not give codes on the dash. It's separate from the engine control module. I believe it has to be plugged into and read / checked for faults, but I'm not sure how that's done.

With the engine running.....Make sure the Solenoid Block has power....It's a red wire IIRC?
Thanks, I was reading through the service manual last night and there's a myriad of reasons why the TCM would cut power to the solenoid block. I'm sure it's not getting power because it's locked and second gear. Why it's not getting power is the question. Replacing the speed sensors, in case that's the problem. Fingers crossed. There's not much else to do besides start the hunt for a broken wire or replace the TCM. My kingdom for a Chrysler TCM reader. (No, really, they do cost a kingdom).

Thanks, I was reading through the service manual last night and there's a myriad of reasons why the TCM would cut power to the solenoid block. I'm sure it's not getting power because it's locked and second gear. Why it's not getting power is the question. Replacing the speed sensors, in case that's the problem. Fingers crossed. There's not much else to do besides start the hunt for a broken wire or replace the TCM. My kingdom for a Chrysler TCM reader. (No, really, they do cost a kingdom).
The OTC Monitor (2000/4000/Enhanced) series are fairly inexpensive on eBay, and they include the Chrysler DLC cable, the included Pathfinder cartridge has Chrysler transmission diagnostics

At least, cheaper than a DRBII/III 😒

I've got a 4000E and an Enhanced, I'll check if I've got the appropriate cartridges and cable, if I do, I could loan it to you for the cost of shipping?

The OTC Monitor (2000/4000/Enhanced) series are fairly inexpensive on eBay, and they include the Chrysler DLC cable, the included Pathfinder cartridge has Chrysler transmission diagnostics

At least, cheaper than a DRBII/III 😒

I've got a 4000E and an Enhanced, I'll check if I've got the appropriate cartridges and cable, if I do, I could loan it to you for the cost of shipping?

Hey, might have to take you up on that really nice offer. I didn't know there were more options. Will this read the transmission module? I'm not opposed to buying something that I know will work.

Luckily, the 3.0 V6 was only from 1992-1994
PXL_20230208_001402206.jpg

You should have this diagnostic connector
PXL_20230208_001420425.jpg

Pathfinder cartridge should be what you seek, or newer year 3in1/Chrysler cartridges
PXL_20230208_001846538.jpg

I've got '93/'97/'98
PXL_20230208_001746794.jpg

Check your VIN
PXL_20230208_002005290.jpg

PXL_20230208_002026619.jpg

I just love referencing literature that's older than me 😳

Edit: this one is the later Enhanced model, Matco branded, looks clean and should include what you need

If you have other OBD1 relics, consider making this guy an offer 🫴

Last edited:
Had a 92 dodge minivan, V6 3.0 ,drove thru a 2 hour rainstorm,got off the highway and pulled up to a stop sign .Went to start off and was hardly able to accelerate,it was like the trans was in a higher gear.It fixed itself and I assumed water had gotten into some electronic trans switch.Maybe your issue?

Had a 92 dodge minivan, V6 3.0 ,drove thru a 2 hour rainstorm,got off the highway and pulled up to a stop sign .Went to start off and was hardly able to accelerate,it was like the trans was in a higher gear.It fixed itself and I assumed water had gotten into some electronic trans switch.Maybe your issue?
The events of this morning confirm that your problem is my problem too. It's been sitting around drying out since Sunday. Cranked it up this morning to limp it over to the transmission shop before traffic gets bad. Drove down my street, it started off off in first gear and shifted up through 4th. Whatever got wet is now dry, but I'm still taking it to get the codes read, because I would like to know what this is.

Luckily, the 3.0 V6 was only from 1992-1994
View attachment 139357
You should have this diagnostic connector
View attachment 139358
Pathfinder cartridge should be what you seek, or newer year 3in1/Chrysler cartridges
View attachment 139359
I've got '93/'97/'98
View attachment 139361
Check your VIN
View attachment 139362
View attachment 139363
I just love referencing literature that's older than me 😳

Edit: this one is the later Enhanced model, Matco branded, looks clean and should include what you need

If you have other OBD1 relics, consider making this guy an offer 🫴
Your help has been invaluable. Thank you so much! I had no idea there was anything available besides the Chrysler branded readers and the Snap-On red box. Bought the first one you listed, it's on the way. As an update, I left this morning to limp it over to the transmission shop this morning and it shifted as if nothing ever happened. Whatever got wet has dried out, but I still want to know what was going on. Thanks again for helping me out!

Is this what I need to use it?
Screenshot_20230208-060012.jpg

Last edited:
Your help has been invaluable. Thank you so much! I had no idea there was anything available besides the Chrysler branded readers and the Snap-On red box. Bought the first one you listed, it's on the way. As an update, I left this morning to limp it over to the transmission shop this morning and it shifted as if nothing ever happened. Whatever got wet has dried out, but I still want to know what was going on. Thanks again for helping me out!

Is this what I need to use it?
View attachment 139393
That book may be hiding in the upper storage compartment of the case you bought, it just may not have been pictured
Anyways you don't really need the manual, once you fire it up, it'll become somewhat self explanatory
Scrolling for what the 8th VIN digit is, selecting what engine you have
It will give you live data and words, just on a smaller screen
Better you bought the 4000 or better, the 2000 single line display is about as useful as the odometer screen
Connect the DLC to the adapter, adapter to scan tool, scan tool to power point, key on engine off, it should spring to life

Here's some brief videos of it in action, you'll soon get a feel for it

That book may be hiding in the upper storage compartment of the case you bought, it just may not have been pictured
Anyways you don't really need the manual, once you fire it up, it'll become somewhat self explanatory
Better you bought the 4000 or better, the 2000 single line display is about as useful as the odometer screen
Connect the DLC to the adapter, adapter to scan tool, scan tool to power point, key on engine off, it should spring to life

Thanks again... I'm very grateful. I'm taking it to the transmission shop to get him to read the codes just so I know what's been going on for the last few days, but after that, I'm reading them myself. 😊

Made it to the transmission shop, about 8 miles from my house. It entered limp mode when I left the house, and did it again about a mile later, but restarting kicked it back to normal. It came all the way home without an issue. The bad news is that their code reader (Snap On) said that it's getting no communication from the transmission controller. They told me they have a Cadillac Seville in the shop right now that's giving them the same issue and they ended up fixing it with a new computer. I guess I'm glad now that I went ahead and ordered one, it's on the way. If that one doesn't communicate with a reader, then there's a wiring issue. 😬😕

Made it to the transmission shop, about 8 miles from my house. It entered limp mode when I left the house, and did it again about a mile later, but restarting kicked it back to normal. It came all the way home without an issue. The bad news is that their code reader (Snap On) said that it's getting no communication from the transmission controller. They told me they have a Cadillac Seville in the shop right now that's giving them the same issue and they ended up fixing it with a new computer. I guess I'm glad now that I went ahead and ordered one, it's on the way. If that one doesn't communicate with a reader, then there's a wiring issue. 😬😕
There's a C²D (Chrysler Collision Detection) bus communication test in one of the books, I'll post it later
Think of it as very early/primitive CANBUS
It could simply be an aging/failing E-ATX controller
I don't think the engineer's of way back when planned on those PCBs and components lasting this long
Nevermind moisture, low lead solder, capacitor plague, general Mopar electrical infidelity 😂
Goes for any older module in any older car 🤷‍♂️

There was a TSB referenced in the video for a big improvement in TCM programming, hopefully it was either done, or if you replace the TCM, someone still has the ability to do it

Last edited:
There's a C²D (Chrysler Collision Detection) bus communication test in one of the books, I'll post it later
Think of it as very early/primitive CANBUS
It could simply be an aging/failing E-ATX controller
I don't think the engineer's of way back when planned on those PCBs and components lasting this long
Nevermind moisture, low lead solder, capacitor plague, general Mopar electrical infidelity 😂
Goes for any older module in any older car 🤷‍♂️

There was a TSB referenced in the video for a big improvement in TCM programming, hopefully it was either done, or if you replace the TCM, someone still has the ability to do it

Good info, thanks. The one I got is supposed to be pre-programmed plug and play, so we'll see how that works out.

Back