Chrysler A604 help

Good info, thanks. The one I got is supposed to be pre-programmed plug and play, so we'll see how that works out.
If you haven't refreshed the fluid, now would be a good time
Check the TPS sweep with live data, make sure it's spot on
Also, according to the TSB, since you'll be putting in a new/different TCM, you must do a Quick Learn to reset CVI values
Keep us updated on how it works out

If you haven't refreshed the fluid, now would be a good time
Check the TPS sweep with live data, make sure it's spot on
Also, according to the TSB, since you'll be putting in a new/different TCM, you must do a Quick Learn to reset CVI values
Keep us updated on how it works out

Thanks for the info. Fluid & filter done last weekend, drove around for a while, then dumped that and refilled. I'll have to consult the manual on the throttle position sensor sweep and CVI (not familiar with that acronym) as I'm not sure what's involved with that.

Disappointing evening after a great drive home from the transmission shop earlier today. . Went to the grocery store in second gear both ways. It can't make up his mind if it wants to be in limp mode or act right. Very confusing symptoms. Eagerly awaiting the arrival of the new TCM and shaft speed sensors to see if that even makes a dent in this problem. If I could just get my hands on some trouble codes, I'd know where to start looking for an issue. Waiting is hard.

Pretty sure speedometer is a direct reflection of your output speed sensor. If you have a Speedo, your output is working at least. Not to say your input is or isn’t.

CVI is clutch volume index. TCM needs to know this to basically just be adjusted to the wear in your clutches / trans and adapt to that. Just a simple learning procedure with the right scan tool.

Pretty sure speedometer is a direct reflection of your output speed sensor. If you have a Speedo, your output is working at least. Not to say your input is or isn’t.

CVI is clutch volume index. TCM needs to know this to basically just be adjusted to the wear in your clutches / trans and adapt to that. Just a simple learning procedure with the right scan tool.

I've got both speed sensors, a TCM and an OTC scan tool all due here by Friday. Hoping for a fix, but mentally preparing for a manual swap as a Plan B.

Here's some more basic troubleshooting

And an inside story on the A604 🤓
Looks like very good info, thanks! This section is of particular interest to me since all of this started after I washed the engine. Does this description ring a bell with you? Do you know exactly what he's referring to? I've only seen the solenoid pack mounted to the transmission.

Failure after takeoff (launch)

Gary Hicks wrote: [If the transmission fails after takeoff, check] the electrical terminal that bolts into the computer housing that is mounted on the transmission. This terminal bolts on to the computer box that is below the radiator fan and mounted on the transmission; it can hold water as it did on my 1992 Plymouth Voyager. The transmission would not change gears. I used air to blow it out and the problem was solved.

Pretty good update today. Found a code reader on eBay with the appropriate cord at a reasonable price, and it arrived.

IMG_20230211_180900094.jpg

I think it's safe to say I have a relay issue. 14 - Transmission control module relay output always on, relay contacts are welded closed. 15 - transmission control module relay output always off, relay contacts are stuck open. So, waiting patiently for the relays to arrive.

My eternal gratitude to michaelluscher for his tireless assistance in getting the Shadow diagnosed and fixed. Transmission control module relays showed up today, they're installed, and she's shifting like she should. So thankful and thrilled right now. 🎉🍻

if its a 93 its the 41TE. same thing but some fleas are fixed. have the same powertrain in my 92 J-vert.

you can test the sol pack for proper continuity to the solenoids and the speed sensors. the F/R pack is always engaged and when it goes into limp, you just get 2 or R with a nice BANG when engaging. when I hit this problem on the advice of a tranny shop I replaced the sol pack with the new BW one from amazon which included the sensors - just remember to remove the separator plate the old one used but the new one does not - they changed the fluid routing BIGLY. has it not gone into ANY gear - i,e, sat in N for a while? My answer changes slightly if this is true.

I can dredge up a link I have to the 41TE diag manual (its online) and there are all sorts of tests you can do without the ODB1 connector. also, make sure the bath didnt short the plug into the sol pack OR the gear position switch.

Back