Front license plates

Snow flake engage! Front plate AND personalized! The Passat has a great front plate mount that is color-matched.

20230417_191144.jpg
20230417_191151.jpg

A lack of a front license plate is a secondary offense in Utah. For example-if you are stopped for speeding you can then be citied for a lack of a front license plate. For vehicles without a place for front plates-I agree with you (about drilling). However-there are a lot of trucks, SUV's, etc, that have that square plastic mounting area on the front that looks worse-IMHO without a license plate then with one.
I believe it is a secondary offense in most states that require a front plate. The only exception I'm aware of is California, where I have heard of aggressive enforcement, with some LEO's even threatening impoundment.

Although I haven't looked up the code, I've been told that Utah now allows for no front plate if, as you mention, there is no place for the front plate to be mounted. That's what I'm banking on, as none of my vehicles have a license plate bracket, holes, etc. Surprisingly, my motor home, which was owned (and I'm assuming registered) in California for over 15 years, doesn't have any license plate mount/holes.

I believe it is a secondary offense in most states that require a front plate. The only exception I'm aware of is California, where I have heard of aggressive enforcement, with some LEO's even threatening impoundment.

Although I haven't looked up the code, I've been told that Utah now allows for no front plate if, as you mention, there is no place for the front plate to be mounted. That's what I'm banking on, as none of my vehicles have a license plate bracket, holes, etc. Surprisingly, my motor home, which was owned (and I'm assuming registered) in California for over 15 years, doesn't have any license plate mount/holes.

The law has never been changed to make an exception for the front end of the vehicle. Who ever told you that was misinformed.

Last edited:
20+ years ago, I used to regularly see a car in the Harrisburg, Pa. area with a vanity plate of "IM FAKE" or something very similar. I think that the big vanity plate era was between 25 and 45 years ago.

Pa. has a great many different Veteran's and Organization plates available. The "holy grail" plate was a fundraiser plate for the Pa. State ship, the flagship Niagra. Sometime in the mid 1990's. I was considering ordering one, but they quickly halted sales. The depiction of the ship, with sails and clouds in the background, made it impossible to read most of the registration numbers. I still see one occasionally although it's been 25+ years since some went out.

Snow flake engage! Front plate AND personalized! The Passat has a great front plate mount that is color-matched.

I think you need a license plate frame with the VW logo on it, in case the other ones on the car fall off or something, that way people will still know what it is.

(I've actually seen "TOYOTA" license plate frames on a Toyota and that was my exact thought...)

I think you need a license plate frame with the VW logo on it, in case the other ones on the car fall off or something, that way people will still know what it is.

(I've actually seen "TOYOTA" license plate frames on a Toyota and that was my exact thought...)
I feel attacked.

20230418_075808.jpg

Waiting for the inevitable comments about how having to have license plates at all shouldn't be necessary.

All cars in all states imo should be required to have front and rear license plates, without any covers or brackets. They should be 100% visible at all times. It's a safety issue. The fines in states that already require them aren't high enough and enforcement is too lax. People proudly proclaiming they're ignoring the law because they don't like it is ironic as heck.

I understand that the requirement for a front plate has a lot to do with the red light cameras or toll road cameras being able to capture the owner info.

But please give us some examples of why it's a safety issue. And just because some DMV says so doesn't count.

Some years ago there was a story of a driver in California that had personalized license plats that said NO PLATE. I understand that he was receiving a lot of tickets in the mail for parking violations where the meter reader noted the offender didn't have a plate and wrote no plate in that box on the ticket. Which of course traced back to he person with that on his plates.

It seems that the meter reader would have tried to read the VIN on the offending vehicle but then again I assume a lot from our public employees.

I understand that the requirement for a front plate has a lot to do with the red light cameras or toll road cameras being able to capture the owner info.

But please give us some examples of why it's a safety issue. And just because some DMV says so doesn't count.
How can having more ability to get a plate number if you are involved in a hit/run, hit on a bike, hit walking, captured something on your dash cam, etc. in anyway be argued as not being a good thing? We are basically one of the only countries in the world that has areas where no f. plate is required.

Last edited:
NJ requires is. I'm a law abiding citizen that doesn't want to give the police a reason to stop me.

I had an older Camry bought used and they previous owner screwed the plate into the bumper with sheet metal screws that loosened. I had the plate on my front dash and got pulled over. The cop was cool and told me to get it fixed.

Back