From T-shirts to toasters...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
You can find good quality items out there - the problem is that you actually have to research and/or inspect each item you buy. Brand loyalty means nothing in this day and age, you really need to research or inspect each individual item.

Online reviews are great for this.

I hear you on the t-shirt frustration, though. Although I don't wear t-shirts to work, I appreciate the differences between quality shirts (t-shirts and button-up shirts alike) and [censored]. Last t-shirt I bough at walmart (~$8, earlier this summer) is thin enough to read newsprint through, and it leaves about 5% of its mass behind in the dryer's lint trap after every wash. On the other hand, I have a ~5 year old t-shirt I bought at Cabela's - which I've worn/washed at least 100 times - that still looks as good as new. Not that all Cabela's shirts are great - I have lots of newer Cabela's t-shirts that have started to weather too quickly. Last one I bought there, the seam at the waist came apart in the third wash?!?! (again, brand loyalty means nothing)

Good info...thanks.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
JC Penny and Kohls has shirts for under $20
I buy lots of clothes from there under $20 on the clearance rack.

I recently bought 2 Izod dress shirts for $11 each, that's less than a polo type shirt at Walmart.

We have a Kohl's nearby that I have purchased a few shirts from. My main problem with them is the fit....especially after a few washings. Seems like they are a good buy until that happens. The collar stretches out and the back/front starts to hang unevenly. At least that's what I've noticed.

Toasters got hit pretty hard by energy regs years ago. What you want in a toaster is the highest wattage you can find. Low watts mean slow toasting, which is pretty much the last thing that makes good toast. 1200 watts for a 2-slice toaster used to be common.

Commercial toasters do better but at a much higher price point. Look on webstaurant.

Couple years back got a 5-pack of hefty white T shirts at JCP for under $30.

Keeping with the BITOG theme.. I went to purchase a simple round 5-quart drain pan at wal-mart last week, and they were the same price as I remember them being the last time I needed one.. But they were made out of the thinnest plastic I'd ever seen. Something like the new paint trays are made of.

Is it slightly thicker than a plastic shopping bag? Yes. I wouldn't want to lift that with 5qt of oil in it, I think I'd have to get new shoes!

I also despite thin t-shirts and this is my favorite t-shirt

http://www.fruitactivewear.com/3930R.shtml?menu=Heavy_Cotton_HD%C2%AE

Fruit Of the Loom
Heavy Cotton HD® T-Shirt
STYLE NUMBER: 3930R

The last time I bought them was at Sears, maybe in 2012, can't remember exactly, but much closer to $10 each than $20.00.

I have worn and washed them constantly and they hold up well.

Got a Panasonic toaster which has been running for years. Also a Panasonic Microwave which may run for many more years but the keyboard is wearing out. On the other hand I don't know how long "modern" washers and driers will last.

If JCP still sells them,buy the Simply for Sports t's. I've had some for years that I wear as undershirts. Nice and thick,100% cotton,and very comfy. Collars have even kept their integrity.

Skip the cotton T-shirts and go right to wicking T-shirts. For the prices they're being sold at these days, it makes little sense to get a cotton T-shirt when a wicking shirt will do the same job with better durability. The amount of stretch in most of those shirts, especially the cheaper ones, is incredible. They also retain their shape/size really well. As long as you don't change size, the shirt will fit.

check out Sierra Trading Post on line. This past summer I have gotten Carhartt pocket T shirt IRRs for under $10. Just ordered Carhartt carpenter jeans for under $20. Usually these items go quickly, so you need to make decisions quickly. We try to wait for inexpensive or free shipping to order.

Most of the time I can't find the irregular issue, but even if I do, the shirts are very presentable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
A while back, Target used to sell these beefy t-shirts for around $10 or so. I haven't looked for them in a while though.

You can get Hanes Beefy t-shirts on-line for around $8 each. While I have not bought any, I see the reviews are positive as far as their thickness goes.

I just bought a number of this t-shirt from Amazon. Nice initial quality and thickness. However, I have had shrinking problems after just a couple washes. I wash all my stuff in cold water and dry on low. They aren't unwearable yet, but my 3XLs are on the verge of fitting like a loose cut 2XL. I've also unraveled the hem on one of them just by washing it.

My wife gets tee shirts from Dillard's. They are very good quality. I believe they are the Polo brand.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Per my heading...I'll use t-shirts and toasters as an example.

Stay the heck out of Walmart for starters, $9 Dickies notwithstanding. A few years ago, Walmarts here had some pretty good tshirts at some pretty good prices. The good prices remained, but the name brand tshirts were all replaced by Walmart's house brand that can hardly withstand a few washes, let alone some hard work. Superstore (a Canadian grocery store) has tshirts for half the price with double the quality right now.

Originally Posted By: babbittd
I also despite thin t-shirts and this is my favorite t-shirt

http://www.fruitactivewear.com/3930R.shtml?menu=Heavy_Cotton_HD%C2%AE

Fruit Of the Loom
Heavy Cotton HD® T-Shirt
STYLE NUMBER: 3930R

The last time I bought them was at Sears, maybe in 2012, can't remember exactly, but much closer to $10 each than $20.00.

I have worn and washed them constantly and they hold up well.

Thanks...those look pretty good.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Toasters got hit pretty hard by energy regs years ago. What you want in a toaster is the highest wattage you can find. Low watts mean slow toasting, which is pretty much the last thing that makes good toast. 1200 watts for a 2-slice toaster used to be common.

Commercial toasters do better but at a much higher price point. Look on webstaurant.

So that's why! Ok...thanks.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Skip the cotton T-shirts and go right to wicking T-shirts. For the prices they're being sold at these days, it makes little sense to get a cotton T-shirt when a wicking shirt will do the same job with better durability. The amount of stretch in most of those shirts, especially the cheaper ones, is incredible. They also retain their shape/size really well. As long as you don't change size, the shirt will fit.

Those type shirts that you are talking about won't work for me. Where I am employed I handle lots of incoming freight, including crates and pallets. The wood ruins anything that is not cotton. It wood tends to catch on synthetics and wicking type shirts and then causes runs in them.
Thanks though.

Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy
check out Sierra Trading Post on line. This past summer I have gotten Carhartt pocket T shirt IRRs for under $10. Just ordered Carhartt carpenter jeans for under $20. Usually these items go quickly, so you need to make decisions quickly. We try to wait for inexpensive or free shipping to order.

Most of the time I can't find the irregular issue, but even if I do, the shirts are very presentable.

I'll check on that. My main concern with ordering online is size and shrinkage. I like to try shirts on first and then determine any amount of shrinkage after washing. Kind of hard to do that online unless I see them at a store first, try them on, and then go back online.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: sciphi

Those type shirts that you are talking about won't work for me. Where I am employed I handle lots of incoming freight, including crates and pallets. The wood ruins anything that is not cotton. It wood tends to catch on synthetics and wicking type shirts and then causes runs in them.
Thanks though.

I get old button up "dress shirts" from a value village type place, usually long sleeve for doing hay or working in the woods with the saw. Also you can pop the collar to keep your neck from getting sun burnt, or getting sawdust down your neck. They seem pretty tough and the good brands buttons stay on too. I get the green polyester farmer too, they seem to be many times as tough as jeans.

Me,I HAVE to wear 100% cotton clothes,especially undershirt t's. Wearing polyester,synthetic fabric,etc,makes it feel like you're wearing an oil slick. Cotton breathes.

We used to only buy cotton uniform shirts. But last year we switched to a rather expensive Golf style collared shirt that is made from 100% polyester. Not what I would normally buy.

But they are fantastic. They dry faster, keep you cooler, and best of all, they wear like iron.

Amazingly comfortable, even in the Fl heat and humidity...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back