From T-shirts to toasters...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cotton breathes, until it's wet and then it smothers you.

Now where is that Seinfeld episode where George switches the Yankees to cotton uniforms?

I found the Carhartt shirts and jeans sizing to be pretty accurate. I am at the 3X end, and the shirts I purchased at the start of summer have not shrunk at all. By comparison, the Beefy T shirts I used to buy would slowly shrink over time. We also do cold wash and low heat to dry, so I don't think it was our washing habits.

I started by purchasing one or two shirts with free or cheap shipping, to verify size, and then follow with a larger order. I also have the luxury of passing down anything to my son, who is one or two sizes smaller than me.

We order quite a bit from Sierra Trading Post, and have been pleased with their characterizations of sizing and, at times, instructions to order one size larger (Mostly in shoes and ladies' wear).

I was also a bit concerned about the irregulars, but they have held up just as well as the first quality. I tend to get stuff on the front of my shirts, so using first quality to get stained, etc, was not a better solution for me.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Me,I HAVE to wear 100% cotton clothes,especially undershirt t's. Wearing polyester,synthetic fabric,etc,makes it feel like you're wearing an oil slick. Cotton breathes.

In hot weather, forget cotton. I got some nylon mesh shirts (safety yellow) at work a couple years ago...wow, what a difference! Much cooler working in hot weather!

Plus polyester looks awful! There's nothing more goofy looking that someone trying to look dressed up wearing a polyester button down or blend suit. Polyester always has that weird "sheen" look. Might as well be wearing a petroleum raincoat.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Plus polyester looks awful! There's nothing more goofy looking that someone trying to look dressed up wearing a polyester button down or blend suit. Polyester always has that weird "sheen" look. Might as well be wearing a petroleum raincoat.

Completely accurate if you still live in the 70's!

And seriously, my exact opinion prior to trying a few of these new shirts.

No shine, and you are never wet because they dry in minutes even for me and I sweat a LOT!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
In hot weather, forget cotton. I got some nylon mesh shirts (safety yellow) at work a couple years ago...wow, what a difference! Much cooler working in hot weather!

You know I just pictured you as the construction worker from the Village People, right?

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Goodwill / thrift stores / whatever they are called locally.

I don't buy pants or shirts anywhere else!

Where I live, the "thrift" stores are almost as pricey as the new stuff. It's gotten way out of hand.

Same here.. and that includes Pick N Pull's and Restore's! The only "thrift" store we go to regularly would be the Goodwill Outlet otherwise if I can find it a big box store that's where I go.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I suggest professional help to deal with your hallucinations.

I prefer for my sky to stay a pretty shade of neon green, thank you very much.

For what it's worth...a follow up on my T-shirt hunting.

I FINALLY found a local store that sells good work t-shirts!
Out in the northwest (including Alaska), we have a store called Fred Meyer. They are owned by Kroger and are a combo of groceries, clothes, garden...etc. Anyway, I was out this weekend doing some shopping and BLAM! Right in front of my face were some colored pocket-tee's that were of decent quality (thicker fabric, nice collar). And only $8.99! I've had theses shirts before but they only seem to carry them occasionally. I purchased 15 of them!

Just thought I'd follow up on the thread.

Thanks again for the ideas everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back