From golden to dark immediately!?

Originally Posted by sloinker
I've been led to believe that the darker the virgin motor oil, the more robust the add pack. True or not?

I recently did a change using QSUD 10W30. I wanted an oil with the least vii, and that QSUD was near the top of the list. (See this thread: vii calculations.) I noticed the QSUD was very clear. I had to use some leftover Supertech 10W30 also, and that was definitely more of a yellowish color. So maybe the percent of vii contributes to the color.

Some engines are not very efficient at draining old oil and will retain a good bit of old old in nooks and crannies.

Might want to DiY an oil change and see how much oil actually comes out.

Originally Posted by Hohn
Some engines are not very efficient at draining old oil and will retain a good bit of old old in nooks and crannies.

Might want to DiY an oil change and see how much oil actually comes out.

My 2004 Colorado 3.5 surprised me - by being the first engine I ever owned with an odd-positioned drain plug - located on the side of the oil pan..... not in the front or back.
In doing oil changes, I lift the passenger front-only - the oil pan drain plugs tilts low and perfectly center to where my jack picked up the front passenger end.

I have tightened that drain plug a half hour later - removed & installed a new oil filter (that's finally cooled off a little bit) - then went back & opened the oil pan drain plug again and not even a half-ounce comes out.

BUT.... what a mess removing the old oil filter makes. The oil galleys above the filter are to blame. I tried every fix possible, including drilling a hole first in the bottom corner of the old filter. Those galleys will not let-loose of the oil stored there, until the filter is completely remove. Then it's like Niagara Falls all over again.

There's a crossmember right below where the oil filter sits. I've tried a Folgers coffee can there to catch it...... no workie. But the wife's kitchen dishes ....ie..... ice cream / soup bowls, did help.

Nobody tell her please that I stole 1 of 8.....

Last edited:
Here it is. Sorry it took so long.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ChristianBerg
This is unacceptable, if you weren't a car guy this engine would probably break down.

No - - the engine would be fine - (For 2x oci intervals)

but what they did is wrong (if they didn't change it)

Originally Posted by pleopard
Who knows. 10ppm copper in oil that was just changed sure doesn't strike me as a residual level.

Maybe the oil changer didn't wash his hands and sweated a basement-length of copper pipe, prior to the oil change.

I suppose the high TBN suggests the oil was changed. The silicon could be residual from factory sealants, since this was the first change. I've noticed that silicon can be well over 100ppm in first-fill UOAs. Aluminum and Iron are very low for a first-fill UOA, so, again, maybe residual. I just can't understand why brand new oil would be black.

Originally Posted by pleopard
Who knows. 10ppm copper in oil that was just changed sure doesn't strike me as a residual level.

That is not abnormal for many new engines. They leach copper when new and you get a spike when the oil is first changed. Just like the TBN will see an immediate drop when first introduced to the engine.

I wasn't referring to the physical appearance earlier but the way the oil analysis looked.

Does serve as a good example of "I change when the oil gets dark" isn't the best policy.

Originally Posted by Gene K

I wasn't referring to the physical appearance earlier but the way the oil analysis looked.

Does serve as a good example of "I change when the oil gets dark" isn't the best policy.

Allstate just cancelled your policy Gene. The last bank check you sent them for renewal was full of dark, spotted oil that only had 2k on it.

Back