From golden to dark immediately!?

Originally Posted by philipp10
Don't go by color, go by feel and smell. Take each sample and smell. The new oil shouldn't be gassy. Then feel each between your fingers. The new should feel "not sheared" almost gel like. The old should feel watery. I think they changed it....and I feel for shop owners dealing with this kind of issue. What's next, do they have to video the oil change to prove it happened?

All I'm doing to asking you guys what your thoughts are on the colour of this oil before I get it tested. I'm not in the business of giving dealerships a hard time for no reason. I'm just trying to understand why this oil is so dark and they have been unwilling to respond thus far.

Originally Posted by ChristianBerg
In the US dealership oil change isn't necessary to keep manufacturer warranty? Here in Brazil you can only keep the manufacturer warranty if you do the oil change and other parts check at the dealership.

Not for about 40 years

Then by simply asking the question, I think you got your answer. The shop probably had something to hid and most likely either didn't do the service or they half-way did it and I would be contacting Toyota of America and get 'another' oil change to make sure your new engine stays clean. I would also keep the receipts because I would try to get reimbursed for the oil change as well.
Originally Posted by pleopard
Originally Posted by TrainingPolicy
My question is, if you were so suspicious at the dealership why didn't you go back and ask them? Instead of driving it home, taking photos, posting on BITOG and paying for a used oil analysis? I feel like just speaking with a service manager probably could have answered any questions you had. They probably could have even shown you the 'new oil' they put in cars so you could verify the oil color.

I did this before I left. The service manager wasn't on site and the service advisor just got agitated.

Don't go by color, go by feel and smell. Take each sample and smell. The new oil shouldn't be gassy. Then feel each between your fingers. The new should feel "not sheared" almost gel like. The old should feel watery. I think they changed it....and I feel for shop owners dealing with this kind of issue. What's next, do they have to video the oil change to prove it happened?

All I'm doing to asking you guys what your thoughts are on the colour of this oil before I get it tested. I'm not in the business of giving dealerships a hard time for no reason. I'm just trying to understand why this oil is so dark and they have been unwilling to respond thus far.

And you have gotten opinions in return. We cannot say for certain if the oil was changed or not. Only a analysis can tell.

Bottom two pics look like normal for most new engine oils I've come across, a nice golden honey color when bunched together, looks a nice golden transparent color when spread out.

The top two pics honestly look like they haven't been changed at all or were contaminated with a large portion of used oil that was left behind. There's no practical way to tell or prove it besides an oil change, if you're wrong though you eat the cost of the analysis and you'll have to do that every time. Your other options are either at the dealer's mercy (they do it again or they tell you no).

They ripped you off and didn't change it. Realistically, they ripped Toyota of North America off by billing them $60-ish bucks, not doing it, and putting them on the hook for potential warranty issues.

I just drained used (5k) TGMO 0w16 from my wife's prius, it was red like ATF but still translucent.

Take it back, ask to see the manager, and have them explain how new oil looks that dark. Bring your neato disptick sucker thing.

You need to know what source of new oil the dealership used. Was it bulk oil, or oil out of a bottle (like the new oil you're using as a reference)? If you are comparing oil from a bottle to oil out of bulk that they might have used, then it's not a solid comparison. You also need to know how they changed the oil. Did they drain it fully hot and for how long, or semi hot for a short time. Or did they just suck the old oil out of the dipstick. And did they change the oil filter? All of those unknowns will have a bearing on what you're seeing.

Another possibility.
May be the stealership got some used oil in their drum and they did not know it.

So, yes, do go back and explain the situation.

On the first "free" dealer oil change @ Nissan dealer on our 2017 Rogue Sport I brought in my own oil and asked them to use my oil. (And I wanted the empty container back please.) They agreed and performed the service well. I'd be comfortable having this dealer do an oil/filter change if I was unable as long as they used my oil/filter. IMO, I believe your oil was not changed or very little new oil was mixed w/the old oil. I'd see about oil change.

Originally Posted by sparky123
On the first "free" dealer oil change @ Nissan dealer on our 2017 Rogue Sport I brought in my own oil and asked them to use my oil. (And I wanted the empty container back please.) They agreed and performed the service well. I'd be comfortable having this dealer do an oil/filter change if I was unable as long as they used my oil/filter. IMO, I believe your oil was not changed or very little new oil was mixed w/the old oil. I'd see about oil change.

Send me your car with a new oil container and I will gladly give you back your car with an empty container
grin2.gif

Used oil smells very different than new oil, almost has a hint of gas/tar smell to it. If it smells anything like that they didn't change it.

You're being too nice. If something is fishy, then make it an issue until they can prove they are right or they resolve the problem.

Originally Posted by Newman88
Used oil smells very different than new oil, almost has a hint of gas/tar smell to it. If it smells anything like that they didn't change it.

Also true. I'd argue even if they did change it, if the end result was that it was contaminated enough to still smell like fuel, they didn't do a good enough job (they left too much behind). Especially with newer engines and direct injection I'd expect it to be far worse.

Old oil does reek of fuel and combustion byproducts. I find new oil smells like new oil even after the car has been driven 500 miles.

Originally Posted by Newman88

That is how new warren oil smells but its clean

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Phil
I am clean engine-anal. I just thought you knew of a couple Dexos oil brands that pour darker than golden. Valvoline and Pennzoil don't. My Castrol Edge from 1-1/2 years ago was somewhat amber as a virgin.
I have no idea on Quaker State, Mobil-1 or Supertech.

I've been using Supertech 5w-30 syn in my son's Hyundai. . . . it's about the color of maple syrup (dark) when new. That oil is Dexos 1 Gen 2 certified. A recent UOA test was good. Color is a reflection of the additives, not the base oil (which should be clear).

My thoughts are, they didn't drain the crankcase very long (a few others suspected this too), and/or their bulk oil is dark... I've seen some Quaker state oils over the years that were suspiciously dark as I poured it brand new from the bottle into engine.

If you aren't going to do a UOA, feeling the oil between your fingers may give you an idea but IMO smell is a better gauge. Used oil should have a slightly burned/acid smell to it, distinctly different than the smell of new oil which is just a greasy chemical smell.

" I've had a few incidents with oil changes in the few past years . They lied to us on both occasions and one left the dipstick partially out after oil change . I always check the work as soon as possible . "

IMG_2862.JPG

IMG_2863.JPG

I've been led to believe that the darker the virgin motor oil, the more robust the add pack. True or not?

Originally Posted by sloinker
I've been led to believe that the darker the virgin motor oil, the more robust the add pack. True or not?

Some robust add-packs come with lowest bidder base oils. Example: Castrol has been mentioned here at Bitog, in this regard.

How true that statements are?...... I dunno. I purchase Castrol once every five years. Latest was Castrol Edge early last year and it went clear to dark on the dipstick in a hurry - inside an engine with only 3K on the odometer. My Mobil-1, Valvoline and Pennzoil doesn't do that.... to this day.

What does it all mean?..... again, I dunno. The only knock I have with Castrol is GTX....... Varnish galore was the issue a couple decades ago.
Varnish is not harmful with a maintained engine. It can lead to sludge if not maintained properly.

Last edited:
Back