Friend wants high-flow oil filter for Civic Si

'09 Civic Si (K20 high-revving engine), he wants it to still be relatively efficient at filtering but prioritizes oil flow first. Does the occasional canyon drive once a week.

What would you guys run for this? Said it needed to be sub-$15, no e-core, and either synthetic blend or full synthetic media. Besides Amsoil and Royal Purple, it's just Fram's XG but he hasn't been a fan of them (orange can bad lol). I have seen a video of the K&N Gold/Silver filters being cut open, how do you guys like those?

First the Civic does not need a high flow oil filer. Regardless of his driving habits. Any quality filter would be fine. NAPA Gold.
But we read stuff. we have people point out to me that the super duper filters filters out the most harmful particles and bla,bla,bla. but with proper maintenance the engine usually outlasts the chassis and drive train unless there is a quality of engineering/design flaw or cost cutting taking place. Oil doesn't help that.

But we read stuff. we have people point out to me that the super duper filters filters out the most harmful particles and bla,bla,bla. but with proper maintenance the engine usually outlasts the chassis and drive train unless there is a quality of engineering/design flaw or cost cutting taking place. Oil doesn't help that.
Live in desert, diesel pickup with proper maint. Maybe outlast the driver?

I thought honda oem put flow as top priority?
I run 15400-plm-a02 on my hondas ... even the rsx type-s.

If there is enough room for the S2000 filter, use that. I used the OE S2000 filter on my K20s.
I was using that too, but Look and my cut and post of that filter.
Two pleats had been torn open near one endcap .
$14- dealer purchase, Filtech Honda for S2000, p/n 15400-PCX-004
Big Disappointment !

Maybe the Wix XP.
I recall them being relatively low efficiency, Since most Asian cars ( except toyota) use
the same filter mount gasket diameter and thread of 20X1.5 MM, you may want to get the part number that fits, say, a 2016 Nissan Titan 5.6L V8 or GT-R, the filter is upsized for HD applications.

That might give you about another inch of filtering media height depending on application

Use a Honda filter. Can't go too wrong with that.
They are not Honda, in the U.S. for service parts they are Fram painted blue and not what comes from the factory.
Same deal with Subaru. But Subaru doesnt even spec a silicon rubber adbv !
In fact I have a Factory Honda filter off of a 1.5L Honda Fit sport waiting for a cut and post
so you can see the difference in basic construction.

You do get a P - ring base gasket that tend to be "leak and wwep" proof.
You wont get a P-ring gasket with a Wix or OTC Fram.

I was using that too, but Look and my cut and post of that filter.
Two pleats had been torn open near one endcap .
$14- dealer purchase, Filtech Honda for S2000, p/n 15400-PCX-004
Big Disappointment !

Maybe the Wix XP.
I recall them being relatively low efficiency, Since most Asian cars ( except toyota) use
the same filter mount gasket diameter and thread of 20X1.5 MM, you may want to get the part number that fits, say, a 2016 Nissan Titan 5.6L V8 or GT-R, the filter is upsized for HD applications.

That might give you about another inch of filtering media height depending on application

IIRC the current "S2000" filter is the15400-PCX-306. It is a Mahle-made filter and very high quality.

The oil filter is not the bottleneck of an engine's oiling system. Anything designed to fit the engine will be fine.

"I drive differently so I need a different/better oil filter" is hogwash.

There is a pretty extensive thread from Ascent Filtration Testing on flow and efficiency for a few different filters. I would recommend starting there. TL;DR Fram Ultra was a top performer for efficiency and one of the best of the group for flow.

Motor Trend's Engine Masters show also ran a (not as scientific) test on different oil filters and found that K&N Gold was very good for flow, but the show's filtration efficiency numbers were not accurate. K&N Golds can effectively be regarded as 95%@20 microns

They are not Honda, in the U.S. for service parts they are Fram painted blue and not what comes from the factory.
Same deal with Subaru. But Subaru doesnt even spec a silicon rubber adbv !
In fact I have a Factory Honda filter off of a 1.5L Honda Fit sport waiting for a cut and post
so you can see the difference in basic construction.

You do get a P - ring base gasket that tend to be "leak and wwep" proof.
You wont get a P-ring gasket with a Wix or OTC Fram.
Well they are made for Honda and say Honda on it. They aren't made by Honda but they are the Honda filter.

'09 Civic Si (K20 high-revving engine), he wants it to still be relatively efficient at filtering but prioritizes oil flow first. Does the occasional canyon drive once a week.

What would you guys run for this? Said it needed to be sub-$15, no e-core, and either synthetic blend or full synthetic media. Besides Amsoil and Royal Purple, it's just Fram's XG but he hasn't been a fan of them (orange can bad lol). I have seen a video of the K&N Gold/Silver filters being cut open, how do you guys like those?

What's the max oil volume output of the pump at redline? I'm guessing not a ton compared to some other engines. It's not going to need a "racing filter" so to speak.

Even though we don't really know what the flow vs delta-p is of the new Ultra, I'm betting it still flows very well.

Last edited:
It seems most of the Japan OEM filters prioritize flow over filtration anyway. I never needed anything special on my old ‘07. Used OEM or a Toughgard and syn 5w-30.
No real such thing as "flow over filtration". Because: positive displacement oil pump.

Back