Oil filter bypass delete, is it harmful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Donatello
also not too sure I have anything to open the old filter with

I hacksawed my filters open
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Donatello
I removed the bypass valves in the block, they are right in the area of the oil filter tree and oil filter. I have no idea what the OEM bypass valves open at however, so would it matter if the filter I buy was a different setting?

Whatever the bypass setting is in the filter that fits should be fine. Bypass valves are typically set based on the filter design and what vehicles it goes on. Most filters fit dozens of different vehicles, so the bypass valve setting can't be very specific. If you find one that fits dimensionally, look at the application table and see if it fits engines bigger than yours. If so, that's a good sign it can take a good amount of flow and the bypass setting should be good.

Here's the dimensions of the Fram 3682 specified for your 300ZX, so you'll have to try and find a filter with a bypass valve, and has close to the same diameter and length, thread size and pitch, and the same size base gasket.

It looks like a pretty big filter, 3 in dia by 4 in long.

Our old Villager used the PH3682 series; it had the BP in the block as well on that Nissan VG30E engine.

The rough equivalent of the PH3682 is the PH3600; the near-ubiquitous FL400-type filter.

The PH3600 is taller by about an inch, but it's the same diameter and uses the same gasket, uses 3/4-16 threads, and has the BP valve in the filter (12 psi probably at full open). If the added height can be accommodated, this would be a nearly-same option.

If that is too long, then consider the FL910 type filter; Fram # PH3516 at only 3.4" tall; all other attributes essentially the same.

Last edited:
TG3614 or any 3614 has the same IO/OD as 3682 but slightly shorter.
Anti-Drainback Valve YES
Base Gasket I.D. 2.469
Base Gasket O.D. 2.75
Base Gasket Thickness 0.188
By-Pass Valve Setting 12
Height 3.343
Inside Diameter 3/4-16 Th'd
Outside Diameter 2.984
Style 1
Turning Specification 3/4-1

Interesting

I found this on rockauto for 4 bucks, it says it works on my car and has a bypass valve..I assume Denso filters are good quality?

DENSO 1502041
150-2041.jpg

There is also another one by royal purple that looked nice with a bypass feature

royal purple 20-561

Royal Purple Oil Filter

Put whatever was there back and you won't have problems. Two bypass valves? Nissan knows better than what someone told you. Seems like it would be a lot of work to get the bypass valve, or is it valves. out and block the holes.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Our old Villager used the PH3682 series; it had the BP in the block as well on that Nissan VG30E engine.

The rough equivalent of the PH3682 is the PH3600; the near-ubiquitous FL400-type filter.

The PH3600 is taller by about an inch, but it's the same diameter and uses the same gasket, uses 3/4-16 threads, and has the BP valve in the filter (12 psi probably at full open). If the added height can be accommodated, this would be a nearly-same option.

If that is too long, then consider the FL910 type filter; Fram # PH3516 at only 3.4" tall; all other attributes essentially the same.

Height isn't an issue, the royal purple filter that some folks run is very tall.. The filters on these cars screw in from the bottom, so there is plenty of clearance thankfully, I might try this filter since it is prolly available anywhere

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Put whatever was there back and you won't have problems. Two bypass valves? Nissan knows better than what someone told you. Seems like it would be a lot of work to get the bypass valve, or is it valves. out and block the holes.

I'm highly considering that, but I've gone too far now, reversing what I've done would require me to remove the engine as there is zero room to work with that sort of thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back