Freezer Test: Syntec 5W50 vs Syntec 0W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had some Syntec sitting in the basement and it somehow worked it's way into my freezer
rolleyes.gif

Temperature was set to 0 f.Sat in there for a good 12 hours.

Both poured out of the bottle in thicker but still easily flowing state.The 0W30(GC)was was only a tad more free flowing compared to the 5W50.Really similar performances.

I was pretty surprised with the performance of the Syntec 5W50.I expected it to flow slower.
I thought it performed excellent considering the spread it covers.Nice stuff.

Neither could touch M1 5W30 at 0 f.That stuff still stays thin!

quote:

Originally posted by thedawk:
Good test for curiosity's sake but I think a better measure would be each oil's pumpability.

The main concern is how the oil travels from the pan to the pump in a cold start. If the oil pours easily it will get to the pump quicker than if it pours like honey.

quote:

Originally posted by mechtech:
I thought the '0 W' and '5 W' ratings were right at 0 deg F.
Good flow from both would be expected.

I recently changed the oil in 2 engines on the same cold day. The oil had beed stored in the garage for weeks, the temp was maybe 10F.

One engine got GC 0w30, the other got Citgo 5w30 dino. The Citgo 5w30 dino poured much more freely than the CG, not even close. At -20F I am sure the GC would win a flow contest.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by oilyriser:
If you keep them in the freezer for a week, the 5w50 might thicken up a bit more, as wax crystals form, since it's a g3 oil.

This raises an interesting point, the oils here were tested in their new condition, but how would they perform after they've been in the engine for a while?

looks like they may have improved their 5w-50 formula. When I used 5w-50 back in 1997 my car really laboured to turn over in cold temps. There was a noticeable difference in how the car started up. I then put it in the freezer and it was pretty darn thick, didn't pour very fast at all. This was back in the day when the group 3 argument was starting with Castrol, they may be adding more group 4 fluid to this oil now.

I've read here that Syntec 5W-50 consist mostly of group 4 and 5 basestock.

It seems like a rather interesting product by Castrol.

quote:

If you keep them in the freezer for a week, the 5w50 might thicken up a bit more, as wax crystals form, since it's a g3 oil.

After doing some reading here there have been speculations that it's mostly comprised of group 4 and 5 basestocks.

I think I have a disorder!

There has been a few Rx bottles in the freezer containing GC, Rot. T 5w-40, Rot T + M1 0w-20, and another I can't recall at the moment. From time to time, I just pop open the freezer and tip the specimens to see how they flow.

"Weird Science!"

quote:

Originally posted by Alan:

quote:

After doing some reading here there have been speculations that it's mostly comprised of group 4 and 5 basestocks.

I'll have to check that out. I remember seeing an old spec sheet for Syntec, and noticed the pour points were rather warm, which would indicate group 3. But that's old information.

I've tested M1 5W30 in the freezer and it has stayed "watery" even down to zero F.It tested much better by far than anything else I have thrown in the freezer.

Your right,GC is an overall thick oil,don't let that 0 weight stuff fool ya guys!.

quote:

That's news to me. As a Syntec 5W-50 user from '96 till 2002, I have followed all Syntec 5W-50 discussions closely. The consensus was that Syntec 5W-50 used to be a PAO (with some Group V), but that the formula changed at some point (around the time of the Mobil/Castrol lawsuit?) to a Group III oil (with some Group V).

Anyway, during those 6 years I never noticed any change in performance of Syntec 5w-50. The price kept going up, though.

This test shows two things to me. One is it explains a probable reason why a lot of people observe lower mpg when they switch to GC.

And two, I think the ratings for winter oil should be more stringent at more common 'real' world temperatures. Like temps around -10f to about 5F. Numerous millions of people will see starting conditions at those temps around the world. Take that to -30f and WAY less people live in areas that will see those temps on a yearly basis. And much of the people in places that might, in rare event, see those temps won't go out and drive their cars anyway.

If you ask me, if GC 0w-30 oil can't flow as well as Mobil 1 5w-30 or Citgo 5w-30 at 0F, it shouldn't be able to get a 0w rating. I'm sure the PAO and esters they use keep it from going solid until very extreme cold temps, but obviously they are still relatively thick to get the high 30w rating and its excellent shear stability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back