Free lifetime oil change. FCP Euro.

I debating on weather it would make sense to take advantage of FCP Euro free oil change kits. If you return the oil and filter they will reimburse you.

This is the kit that they carry for my car, a 2006 VW Rabbit 2.5 5cyl. $55.86

What I currently do is use Castrol 0w40 6qts and a Mann filter. This cost me $43.94. Walmart and Napa.

To ship the kit back will cost about $21. This means I will save $11.92 by doing this, but…….

Based on some reading on this forum, it seems that the Castrol 0w40 is highly regarded compared to the liquid moly in this kit.
Has this changed? Or are the formulations still the same for a few years ago?

I purchased my car with 73k on it and it has 126k on it now. It has been on that Castrol the whole time besides the first oil change, I used dealer oil.
I plan on getting 300-400k on it like I do with my last 4 Volkswagens.

I don’t think it’s worth it to save the $11.92. What are your thoughts?

The key to this is to pay with paypal and use their return shipping reimbursment program where you can get up to $30 per return in shipping reimbursed upto 12 times in a year.
In this case, the question will be, what’s the better oil for my application?

I can't imagine the proposed plan (buying an oil kit and shipping the used oil back for a refund) working for any length of time. The supplier is making nothing from the shipping which seems to be a big part of the cost.

"If something cannot continue it will eventually stop."

As far as the oil is concerned I understand it's a reputable brand.

I can't imagine the proposed plan (buying an oil kit and shipping the used oil back for a refund) working for any length of time. The supplier is making nothing from the shipping which seems to be a big part of the cost.

99% of their customers are too lazy to take advantage of it

i know a shop that milks their warranty hard. the possibilities are endless if you use your brain

I just sent some back a few weeks ago for the first time. My Arteon requires 504 Ow-30 and it isn't easy to find locally. I bought VW branded oil that is Mobil 1 ESP in a VW bottle.

Oil and filter cost me $58 and the UPS return shipping was $17 making my savings $41. Since I'm recently retired, my time to do it really doesn't make much difference.

Not only does FCP have the lifetime warranty on everything, their prices are generally competitive and their customer service & shipping speed are excellent.

They have become my preferred vendor for all my VW parts. Since they also sell some OE parts, having a lifetime warranty on those too is nice. Now my VW CC uses Castrol Edge 502 spec Ow-40, so I just buy it at Wal Mart for $25

If you use Paypal to purchase the kits, you can get a refund for your shipping (up to $30, and up to 12x a year). So that makes the kits 100% free after you purchase the first one. It's hard to argue with that math. If you don't like LM and want to use XYZ, then of course this doesn't really matter. They do sell other oil brands if LM isn't your thing/want to use something else. This is what I do for my 3x VWs for oil, wipers, cabin filters, etc. etc. Easiest to combine your return shipping in the box but not to get too heavy as to exceed the $30 limit on return shipping refunds.

Good question, if it happened enough that would put an end to the deal I would think.
Shipping issues are your issues (or the shipper), not FCP's w/r to leaking etc. I don't see how that has any impact on them offering this program beyond sending you a nasty-gram b/c their workers are covered in your used oil b/c you didn't pack it correctly. Remember, some people actually just drive their stuff to their storefront to return it as well.

Last edited:

FCP has carefully marketed their replacement policy in hopes of getting more people to visit their site and make purchases. If they offer this "crazy deal" and don't follow through by taking back what they encourage you to do, it will fall on it's face. Clearly, on average, most folk aren't returning everything they buy (b/c most people don't keep their cars long enough for a lot of it to need to be replaced) and are also buying things (like additives) that can't be retuned and have large profit margins. The other trick is that you have to buy a new part first, then return the old part - this also plays in that some won't follow through boxing up old parts and schleping to the UPS Store to pay for shipping when the new part comes even if that was the original intention, much like many don't take advantage of rebates b/c of the hassle factor. FCP's business has grown substantially in recent years and I have to believe in-part this is due to this policy based on what I said above. Finally, as many will comment, this is not the same as returning a 1/2 bottle of wine to Costco just b/c "you can" - FCP is litterally telling you how to do return your old parts including oil. They are laughing all the way to the bank on this.

Back