Free Electricity from 7pm to 11pm

It's strange they chose those hours to promote. I would have thought they were "peak" and should have incentives to NOT use power then.

There are lots of ways to milk this. Put your fridge on a timer to cut out for the 2 hour block before the free power-- it'll coast no problem. Could do the same with electric water heaters, but look out for Legionnaire's Disease.

One of the computer companies in Massachusetts struck a deal with the PoCo back in the 1970s-- they cooled a "pool" overnight then used heat exchangers with that cold source during the day.

It's strange they chose those hours to promote. I would have thought they were "peak" and should have incentives to NOT use power then.

There are lots of ways to milk this. Put your fridge on a timer to cut out for the 2 hour block before the free power-- it'll coast no problem. Could do the same with electric water heaters, but look out for Legionnaire's Disease.

One of the computer companies in Massachusetts struck a deal with the PoCo back in the 1970s-- they cooled a "pool" overnight then used heat exchangers with that cold source during the day.
Exactly.
This bunch here are not free lovers...lol
If I ran the company I would give you free electric from 1am to 5am

Most thermostats have programmability and you could run your heat pump or AC they way you would like to at those hours. Cause you can't otherwise if you were on a tight budget.

Xmas displays... 🎃 and the like.
Most people work during the day and the use is at those hours.

The naysayers here forget the rate is only 1 cent more per kwh than the power company if you don't shop.

And trust me many don't shop and they think if they do they will get no service. Really...

My rate now is great so it isn't for me but I could easily score on this.

You have great power rates and if the premium for the free plan is $0.01/kWh then I’d definitely try it out for a year.

I’m at 11.8 cents in the summer and between and 8 and 5.38 cents in the winter depending on usage.
8572297F-0B77-48B2-9238-45C777172BDC.jpeg

I figured out my average over a 12 month period. We rarely pay over .10 (ten cents) a KWH averaging in peak demand charge.

I could pay only .05 (5 cents) if we turned off our power for 3 hours a day as peak demand charge is $12 a KWH
This is for mid sept to mid oct. BTW, we never open our windows and use AC or heat all year.
Its incredible that our water bill can at times be more costly or very close. (at times during summer and fall/spring)

I do mange our energy around the 4 hour peak time with the thermostats in our 3000 sq ft home which is Simmer 4 to 7PM and Winter 6 to 9AM. We never use the electric clothes dryer at peak times. Which is 4-7Pm summer and 6 to 9 winter

Bill looks like this for this Mid Sept to Mid Oct=
Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 10.43.51 AM.png

Our Mid Winter bills are dirt cheap, Natural Gas heat first floor, second floor is a heat pump but the way I have the thermostats set up, heat pump only comes on the second level if main level gas heat cant keep up which would have to be a much, much colder then normal day. I should mention the 4brs/office on the second floor is empty at nights as the kids are grown and out (master is main level) but lively during the day, wife office is up there and my office. There are times during the winter, our daughter will stay over during holidays ect.

Mid Jan to Mid Feb 2021

Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 10.55.53 AM.png

Last edited:
^^ Thank you!!! *L* I should have checked. I was trying to make sure I wasnt mixing up the $12 with the cents but then decided to cut and paste my electric bill. *LOL* I LOVE our electric co-op!

I didnt know so many places had cheap electric like we do. Before moving south, my entire life was up on Long Island, when I left, electric was 20 cents KWH and no way around it.

I’d be ok with that I think. I’d probably add a good deal of electric heat in some spaces, and get off of gas at night. I’d probably also try to figure out how to set varying temperatures on refrigerators and freezers.

And buy an EV.

I’d be ok with that I think. I’d probably add a good deal of electric heat in some spaces, and get off of gas at night. I’d probably also try to figure out how to set varying temperatures on refrigerators and freezers.

And buy an EV.
Now ya talkin'.
It's all about long term planning. In my case, the solar panels have proved to be a life saver. Silicon Valley electricity costs are among the highest in our country. My last electricity bill netted at $2.65. Getting closer to break even, then it's all gravy.

If I had any brains in my head I'd drive the EV more and let the thirsty GS be. Wannabe premium is approaching $5 per gallon locally.

Now ya talkin'.
It's all about long term planning. In my case, the solar panels have proved to be a life saver. Silicon Valley electricity costs are among the highest in our country. My last electricity bill netted at $2.65. Getting closer to break even, then it's all gravy.

If I had any brains in my head I'd drive the EV more and let the thirsty GS be. Wannabe premium is approaching $5 per gallon locally.
“Breaking even“ because you’re paying $2.65 seems like a horrible thing. Sure it makes it easier to break even, but it’s a catch-22. Be out how many tens of thousands of dollars to pay for power, or pay obscene prices….

Had you invested your solar panel cost into TSLA, I bet you would have ended up better.

“Breaking even“ because you’re paying $2.65 seems like a horrible thing. Sure it makes it easier to break even, but it’s a catch-22. Be out how many tens of thousands of dollars to pay for power, or pay obscene prices….

Had you invested your solar panel cost into TSLA, I bet you would have ended up better.
Not sure what you mean by the 1st part, but the solar panel project was a no brainer. The calc's coupled with the tax credit made the decision easy.
It was likely I would be in this house for at least 10 years, probably much more. Yes, there is an opportunity cost to buy anything. Stock purchases, especially a fledging EV company are high risk. The solar project, in comparison, was very low risk. Both are long term investments.

Now if I had purchased TSLA instead of the snazzy little Model 3 in Dec 2018, that woulda been something to talk about.
Hopefully you have some TSLA in your portfolio. To the moon! Or is it Mars?

Not sure what you mean by the 1st part, but the solar panel project was a no brainer. The calc's coupled with the tax credit made the decision easy.
It was likely I would be in this house for at least 10 years, probably much more. Yes, there is an opportunity cost to buy anything. Stock purchases, especially a fledging EV company are high risk. The solar project, in comparison, was very low risk. Both are long term investments.

Now if I had purchased TSLA instead of the snazzy little Model 3 in Dec 2018, that woulda been something to talk about.
Hopefully you have some TSLA in your portfolio. To the moon! Or is it Mars?
Point is if I’m understanding your rate correctly, and you might be paying $2.65/kWh (??? My in-laws pay around 50c on a Caribbean island, so I don’t know what drives your rate), break even is easy. It’s much harder when these installer crooks raise prices because they can due to tax credits, and people are paying 10c or 15c a kWh….. especially when in a climate with seasons…

Point is if I’m understanding your rate correctly, and you might be paying $2.65/kWh (??? My in-laws pay around 50c on a Caribbean island, so I don’t know what drives your rate), break even is easy. It’s much harder when these installer crooks raise prices because they can due to tax credits, and people are paying 10c or 15c a kWh….. especially when in a climate with seasons…
Sorry, I misled you. That's my electricity bill for the month of Oct. In retrospect, I can see how one would think $2.65 is the rate instead of the bill.

Assuming this work, I wonder what you can use to store the energy for future needs. Run a freezer in the summer and take the ice out the next day? Heat a pool of water in the middle of the house to keep the night warm? Charge your EV? You want to keep your house comfortable at that time instead of a big temperature swing too. I don't know how much laundry you can dry but I'm sure it is not every day. Maybe you can get into crypto mining and mine with free electricity during those hours, that's probably all I can think of. I don't think cannabis likes to have only 3 hours of artificial light at night and unless you spend a lot of money on it, not going to save you money.

No matter what you do you don't want to invest too much to save too little.

Last edited:
Get one of these. They can recharge in that amount of time and run your whole house for the rest of the time. Like the medicare commercials ITS FREE!!!!!!

I signed up last night for my main house as my old contract ended.
The beauty of the plan is that you can cancel at any time without penalty.
This way if it doesn't pan out you can bail.
I did the math, and it looks good because my heavy use is around that time.

We are the opposite in a way.
Our electric is 5 cents a KWH except for 3 hours a day 6 to 9 winter and 4 to 7 summer where they take the peak average during those times and charge 12 dollars a KWH.
It works out great for us, we just avoid using large amounts of energy during those times so our monthly average per KWH charge comes in at 10 cents. (all above rough numbers +/- 1 cent) Have my bills posted in these threads someplace. (oh... it was this thread! Didnt know it was from OCT)

Last edited:
Back