frantz or motorguard location of 1/16 fitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have a question on the new frantz filter the restrictor fitting 1/16" is located in the center inlet port, however on the old frantz filter the restrictor fitting was located in the out port on the side.

In the case of the original motor guard bypass filter the restrictor fitting was built in and it was on the output port (oil return).

In regards the amsoil bypass filter, not sure where it goes.

Does it really matter where the restrictor is located, if it is on the input port of the filter or the output port of the filter.?

I guess that by being in the output port the filter, the filter gets fully pressurized, and highly compresses the toilet paper, and when it is in the input port there is less pressure inside the filter.

any pros and cons on the location of the restrictor 1/16 fitting.

The flow of the oil should be the same in either case, it is clear that the pressure of the oil in the filter would be much higher with the fitting on the outlet port, and that the toilet paper would get more compressed against the screen at the end of the filter, but it seems that with the 1/16" fitting in the input port there is also a lot of pressure.

If the fitting was fine on the output port why was it changed to the input port instead for the new ones? Does it really matter the location of the 1/16" fitting ?

I have my frantz and the location it is in the inlet port with great results, I also have an older frantz I am planning on using on another car and it has it on the output port.

It's beneficial to locate the restrictor as close to the engine as possible. That way everything after the restrictor will see lower pressure. There will be less stress on your oil hose and if there was ever a cut in the line it would take much longer to dump your oil.

As an extra safety precaution, I also installed a check valve with a 30psi cracking pressure attached right after the flow restrictor.

actually that is a very good idea, and it is something that is not difficult to do.
Having some sort of an oil alarm in case a hose breaks would also be a good idea.
if the hose broke with the restrictor at the engine in would give you some extra seconds or maybe a few extra minutes to save the engine.

Could you provide a link to the check valve you are using, I get the idea, but would like to know where they are available.
I guess the way it would work is the if the pressure goes over 30psi, it shuts down and cuts the oil flow to the filter.
The only problem I see is that if the oil pressure inside the filter is higher than 30 during high rpms.

How about an oil pressure idiot light sender. If the oil pressure drops in the system the light goes on, just like it does in your oil system. Hook it to the same circuit as the existing idiot light so your dash board does not have to be butchered up for another light. Use the same sender as your car so it will be calibrated correctly and hook it into your bypass filter.

I’m thinking of hooking up a Frantz bypass oil filter by using a Pema-cool sandwich oil adaptor. My question is how can I tell what my oil filter thread is? I have a 2006 Toyota Sienna Van LE. The oil filter is a Wix 51348 or a Bosch 3330. I don’t want to use a universal one. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back