Frantz and M1 users

Status
Not open for further replies.
Typically the TP is saturated in about 3k miles ..or so I'm led to believe. I don't think that there is too much to stretch here. In the case of a Frantz ..it's the media that gets saturated ..not the oil wearing out per se`.

I'm into really extended OCI ..so it would not serve me too well. In my case it would mean 6x TP changes a year. Far too much for me to tinker with.

It is a matter of keepint the oil clean and adding enough new oil to keep the additives up to the right amount plus on a diesel engine keeping the soot that is too small to be filtered out diluted down to a safe level. A customer that doesn't require maximum engine life can extend the filter change interval longer. Some filter makers recommend longer filter change intervals to sell more filters. Their sales pitch is, "with our filters you can go longer between changes". They don't tell you that your engine also won't last as long. They can show you oil analysis reports that show the wear is normal. "Normal" wear is not a goal of many car owners
I ran a Subaru 240,000 miles changing the TP about every 12,000 miles. I averaged an oil change every 60,000 miles. I think if I had changed the TP every 6,000 miles I wouldn't have needed to drain the oil. I can't tell someone they can go a certain amount of miles between changes. They might operate in cold weather or extreme hot weather or short trips in cold weather. A customer knows more about his equipment and driving conditions and has to work out his own change intervals.
One thing that works is to change the filter if the oil doesn't look and feel like new oil. With some experience you can tell by the look and feel of the oil if the filter needs changing. The Motor Guard M-30 is the easiest to change. I would rather change the filter more often than spend money on oil analysis.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back