Frantz 6 months and 12000 mile review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well 6 months and 12000 miles later I just changed out the 4th roll of toilet paper on my Frantz bypass filter installed on my 2009 Ford F350 with the 6.4 Powerstroke. So far I've had no issues with the Frantz unit, maybe my only complaint is the rolls are pretty well spent after 3000 miles. I took this last roll to 3500 miles, but was taking just over 30-40 minutes for it to heat up and really wasn't getting very hot. Switch in a new roll and in 15 minutes of driving it's getting hot again and after an hour too hot to touch. This is a surprise for me as I installed it downstream of my Amsoil Dual-Gard with EABP100's on it to combat the Frantz from plugging up. I keep a spare canister ready to go, so a filter change only takes about 1-2 minutes now and I leave the used filter out to drain a couple of days then I dispose of it at the recycling depot. In the 12000 miles I've put in 4 quarts of oil for the Frantz and 2 quarts of top off for the burned oil and running Shell Rotella T 15W40. Next oil sample will be sent to the lab in 6 months. Here's some pictures and a video.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiUGoii6uCY

35.gif

It really is amazing how much junk the TP catches. The element is absolutely loaded with soot. Very cool and I'm glad it's still working well for you!

Just don't make the mistake of going cheap and using that terrible single-ply Chinese toilet paper in that. I'd stick with the name brands only for extended OCIs---Charmin, Northern, maybe go to Sam's Club (you have those up in Canada, eh?) for a bale of Members' Mark.

Originally Posted By: khittner
Just don't make the mistake of going cheap and using that terrible single-ply Chinese toilet paper in that. I'd stick with the name brands only for extended OCIs---Charmin, Northern, maybe go to Sam's Club (you have those up in Canada, eh?) for a bale of Members' Mark.

Is Charmin Ultra equivalent to Fram Ultra?

Seriously, I don't get how TP doesn't disintegrate into tiny particles and get cellulose into your engine.

Lol, mostly running Kirkland brand from Costco as it also fits the MotorGuard as well. I have used Frantz, Scott 1000 and they all seem to last the same distance.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

Is Charmin Ultra equivalent to Fram Ultra?

Seriously, I don't get how TP doesn't disintegrate into tiny particles and get cellulose into your engine.

No, the toilet paper is working well and no evidence of it breaking down.

I'm running the Kirkland brand in the Frantz units on my work trucks. I go to Costco with my girlfriend and pick up a pack of "Filters" for my truck and I'm laughing, but she just looks at me and shakes her head... some people just don't get it!!!

Originally Posted By: xtell
I'm running the Kirkland brand in the Frantz units on my work trucks. I go to Costco with my girlfriend and pick up a pack of "Filters" for my truck and I'm laughing, but she just looks at me and shakes her head... some people just don't get it!!!

Lol, Ya kirkland brands are what I use now as they are about as close to the original size of both the Frantz and Motorguard rolls. There's also boardwalk that make the same size rolls, but I've not tried them.

The only thing I don't like about the Kirkland rolls is how fluffy it is. I'd prefer denser single-ply for filtering. The width of the roll is definitely better than most other brands though.

Originally Posted By: AlaskaMike
The only thing I don't like about the Kirkland rolls is how fluffy it is. I'd prefer denser single-ply for filtering. The width of the roll is definitely better than most other brands though.

True, I like them as they also fit my MotorGuards as well, so time will tell how effective they are. I decided to send off a sample to the lab just to make sure everything is ok with the oil as it now coming up to 22000 miles without an oil change. I was just going to check it in another 6 months, but I've put a lot more miles on it than I estimated. My nerves got the best of me.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back