Frame repair parts

My brother was told the frame of his Toyota 4Runner is rusting and while safe now may not be too much longer. Since he likes the vehicle and the body and interior are in good shape I suggested some frame repair parts from

He ignored my yearly suggestion to have vehicle treated with CarWell or Krown, etc.

Vehicle is on Nantucket MA currently but has been in CT most of its life. Nantucket being a island in the Atlantic probably has mist from salt water in the air.

I think it's between a 2000 and 2005.

The mileage is over 200K but he drives conservatively and it's a Toyota. He brings it to a indy shop and has done maintenance they suggest.

Last edited:
the safetcap pieces fit nicely. Need to be a decent welder to make it right but we have done quite a lot of frame repair the last few years with their pieces

My brother was told the frame of his Toyota 4Runner is rusting and while safe now may not be too much longer. Since he likes the vehicle and the body and interior are in good shape I suggested some frame repair parts from

He ignored my yearly suggestion to have vehicle treated with CarWell or Krown, etc.

Vehicle is on Nantucket MA currently but has been in CT most of its life. Nantucket being a island in the Atlantic probably has mist from salt water in the air.

I think it's between a 2000 and 2005.

The mileage is over 200K but he drives conservatively and it's a Toyota. He brings it to a indy shop and has done maintenance they suggest.
Can you get some pics of the frame rust? It's probably worthwhile to fix it. Those 4runners are hot items up here and people are willing to pay good money for them since they are solid and dependable (in most cases).

Can you get some pics of the frame rust? It's probably worthwhile to fix it. Those 4runners are hot items up here and people are willing to pay good money for them since they are solid and dependable (in most cases).

Not sure if I get get any pictures. Its a PIA to leave Nantucket and go back. Cost for ferry and I think a quarantine when arriving back. He may stay on the island until school is out in June (he is a teacher, actually a speech pathologist at a school, but considered a teacher).

Reactions: JC1
That sucks, I would go over the rest of the frame with a fine toothed comb in addition to those places where it's rotting. The New England salt just kills Toyota trucks around here. My buddy recently sold his 2008 Taco, but he bought it used, and fluid film applications every year were only slowing down what rust it had acquired before he bought it.

Reactions: JC1
One of our sales guys who lives in Watertown (outside Boston) asked if I could look at his wife's '05 as his regular mechanic noted some frame rot. I used to own a shop and have been a motorhead my entire life. The safe t caps are fine, but to properly weld them in, you have to remove the control arms, exhaust, skid plate(s), everything. It turns into a huge amount of work and you're still going to have rust issues in areas inside the frame where you can't see. I have repaired two Taco's frames with plasma cut pieces and they came out well. Two more customers VIN numbers fell within the Toyota free repair so I directed them to that route.

Maybe have your bro send you some pics and post them up for us. There are approx. $1500+ in frame repair pieces on the safe T cap page. The Labor is going to be killer. It doesn't seem worth it to me with that mileage.

Almost makes me want to move near my wife's Parents farm in GA but they'd make fun of my accent.

I think there is a class action law suit against Toyota for rust in the 4Runner. They are built on truck frames. Toyota had a program to replace the frame for certain Toyota pickups.
They did replace frames that were made improperly by Dana Corp. on the Tundra, Tacoma, and Sequoia. Toyota also won a 25 million dollar suit against Dana Corp, for making frames that weren't to spec. The 4Runner having always been made in Japan, didn't have one of those defective Dana Corp. made frames.

However, anything steel which is neglected long enough in a highly corrosive environment, will have rust issues. There might be a class action suit started by someone that didn't take responsibility for keeping their vehicle clean while operating in a highly corrosive environment (as is stated in every owners manual I've ever had) for years. Hopefully any such frivolous suit will be given the attention it deserves.

Back