Fram XG7317 cut open 17,000 miles

To everyone asking, this filter was not wire backed. I got it in either June or July of 2021.

I have to wonder if the center tube that Fram uses, there's not enough holes/holes not large enough...

as, I wonder if you had a Fram Ultra 2nd gen filter media with a E-core, if the end result is different or not?

I have to wonder if the center tube that Fram uses, there's not enough holes/holes not large enough...

as, I wonder if you had a Fram Ultra 2nd gen filter media with a E-core, if the end result is different or not?
This is the 2nd gen/non-OG filter with the cellulose blend media.

This is the 2nd gen/non-OG filter with the cellulose blend media.
That's what I wrote, in case you didn't notice.

1675124717913.jpg

I was very surprised that the oil filter is so small.
It is the correct filter (the size Nissan specs)

As far as I am aware, or at least so was the case at the dealership I worked at, they did use the 6607 size (Nissan 15208-65F0E) filter on everything.
Interesting - dealer must take advantage of volume purchasing by sticking to the 65F0E on everything. It does fit everything from Nissan/Infiniti vs the other way around.

That's what I wrote, in case you didn't notice.

View attachment 138004
OK, I clearly took what you were saying incorrectly then, I saw it as a posit on the media selection based on the "I wonder if you had a a Fram Ultra 2nd gen filter media" to imply this wasn't that, but you are in fact just wondering if it would look different with an e-core with this same media? If so, I'd say no, the distortion of the media is the result of it being cellulose and expanding, what's behind it is immaterial.

There's enough total flow area in the center tube holes. Only thing not enough holes might do is increase the total delta-p across the media and give less bypass valve opening headroom. The PD oil pump will ensure same flow if the delta-p across the filter increases some. If it was too much delta-p (like with choked off louvers) the bypass valve may open too soon. But Fram has most likely tested all their filters for delta-p vs flow and have set the bypass valve accordingly.

Wow, a post with "PD oil pump", "delta-p" and "headroom" all in the same post. 😂 😋 🤘

Last edited:
Not a fan of the Fram shown here. Luckily, I have a bunch of old Ultras to use.
Maybe they should rename it UT... Undulating Tilde.
Never wavering LoL … I have a 10k new generation XG10575 waiting - I’m going to cut & post 3 filters off 5.3L’s soon with some context …

Back