FRAM Ultra XG2 - 2019 RAM 1500

So has this item been patented? Is it called the Filter Diaper?

Maybe you could buy a six pack added to your oil filter cutter tool order.

I normally just pull it apart wet, but I'm trying the technique @ZeeOSix mentioned with this one, and it seems to be working. Already soaked a 4-folded piece and I've swapped it out, this time with the elastics tighter and closer to the end caps.
I’ve cut the media out with a new razor blade, cut it into sections, folded it back up, and then put it in a vice to slowly squeeze the oil out of it. Soak up the oil with shop towels as It’s being squeezed out and in just a few minutes you‘ll have dry media to pull apart and inspect. Anything of consequence will stay in the media as it’s being squeezed together.

Last edited:
So has this item been patented? Is it called the Filter Diaper?

Maybe you could buy a six pack added to your oil filter cutter tool order.
Huggies Supreme still soaking it up, just changed it again:
IMG_3705.jpeg

Well, looks like we are headed toward the finish line, this is the first time it didn't fully saturate the piece of paper towel it was sitting on:
IMG_3721.jpeg

So I think we are in the home stretch. Wrap removed and re-applied:
IMG_3726.jpeg

After all this diaper changing, you might as well cut the media out and stretch it all out so you can really inspect for debris. 😋
I've found cutting the media out of these is really a pain. I think I need a really fine knife that can go down between the pleats and I don't own one, so I end up tearing the media trying to free it from the potting unfortunately. The end caps are an absolute bear to get off too.

I've found cutting the media out of these is really a pain. I think I need a really fine knife that can go down between the pleats and I don't own one, so I end up tearing the media trying to free it from the potting unfortunately. The end caps are an absolute bear to get off too.
Cut through the media and wire backing up close as possible to the end caps with these ...

1658876781307.jpg

The wicking (diaper) process is really interesting. The oil naturally flows to whatever media (paper towels) is drier than it's current location. You don't have to tilt the filters or push it there...it just goes by itself :)! Natural fluid dynamic properties on full display.

^^^ The drying out curve is probably past the asymptotic realm at this point. 😄

Back