Fram Ultra XG10060 C&P

Filter looks good.
Oil = 1 qt Valvoline PB "RESTORE" 10w-30, and 5 qts M1 Euro Formula 0w-40
no makeup oil
a little carbon in the bottom of the pleats
GM 07 6.2L L92 w/195k miles
OLM = 51% remaining
Catch can collected 2 ounces in these 5k miles
Sent a sample yesterday to Oil Analyzers Inc. Asked for TBN & TAN.
Will post results soon.
DSCN8192.JPG

DSCN8194.JPG

DSCN8199.JPG

DSCN8191.JPG

Filter looks good.
no makeup oil
OLM = 51% remaining
Will post results soon.
View attachment 208605
View attachment 208606
View attachment 208609
View attachment 208610

Great photos and cut and post. Thank You 🇺🇸🇨🇦👍🍺🍺

nice straight pleats. a very common oversize for these trucks is the 10575 size, still fully protected by the oil pan. thank you for the C&P
Actually, Fram increased the by pass pressure of the 10575. They are more suitable for the Chev Gen V engines after 2013. The bypass pressure of the 10060 is 9 to 15 psi and the 10575 is 16-28 psi. I used to do that trick until the 10575 bypass pressure was increased. Still, some argue they don't care about that.

Fram Ultra 10060.JPG
Fram Ultra 10575.JPG

Last edited:
Actually, Fram increased the by pass pressure of the 10575. They are more suitable for the Chev Gen V engines after 2013. The bypass pressure of the 10060 is 9 to 15 psi and the 10575 is 16-28 psi. I used to do that trick until the 10575 bypass pressure was increased. Still, some argue they don't care about that
Yes In the 5+ yrs & 65k miles that I've owned this vehicle I've always run the Fram XG10575. I also had an a bypass filter and a sump capacity of 10.5 qts.
Last Sept I put it all back to stock since its not gonna get driven nearly as much as it use to.

Actually, Fram increased the by pass pressure of the 10575. They are more suitable for the Chev Gen V engines after 2013. The bypass pressure of the 10060 is 9 to 15 psi and the 10575 is 16-28 psi. I used to do that trick until the 10575 bypass pressure was increased. Still, some argue they don't care about that.

View attachment 208635View attachment 208636
bypass pressure is still set lower than the oil pump bypass pressure but i can see why people would shy away.

Last edited:
I see a good chunk of carbon in those pleats for 6k. Did you notice any difference from prior filters and since Valvoline is wanting us to run a full sump for at least 4 ODI do you plan to increase the 1 qt over time?

bypass pressure is still set lower than the oil pump bypass pressure but i can see why people would shy away.
Filter bypass valve and the pump pressure relief aren't connected in any way. The filter's bypass valve only operates on the dP across the filter, regardless of what the oil pump is doing. The filter bypass valve setting can be influenced by the flow vs dP curve of the filter and the max expected flow through the filter.

Going up in filter bypass valve setting isn't going to hurt anything. It will help ensure the bypass valve doesn't open up as easily when the oil is cold and engine revs are up.

n
Filter bypass valve and the pump pressure relief aren't connected in any way. The filter's bypass valve only operates on the dP across the filter, regardless of what the oil pump is doing. The filter bypass valve setting can be influenced by the flow vs dP curve of the filter and the max expected flow through the filter.
if the filter is plugged and the pump cannot produce enough pressure to open the bypass valve then there would be an issue. they are absolutely connected in that aspect.

if the filter is plugged and the pump cannot produce enough pressure to open the bypass valve then there would be an issue. they are absolutely connected in that aspect.
If the filter was that plugged, then the filter bypass valve would be wide open probably way before the oil pump hit pressure relief, because the filter bypass valve is only operating on the dP across the filter, and most filters have a wide open bypass valve setting of 25 PSI or less. With a very clogged filter, the dP will build very fast with a relatively low flow of oil from the pump.

And if the fully opened bypass valve could not flow enough oil (due to a small flow area on the valve), then increased engine RPM would be needed to caused the pump to hit pressure relief. With a totally clogged oil filter, the filter is most likely going to hit it's bypass pressure before the pump will hit pressure relief, unless the filters bypass valve setting is something nuts, like 35+ PSI or more, and the pump's pressure relief valve is also set pretty low.

Don't let oil filters approach the fully clogged state is a good thing to practice.

Last edited:
Filter looks good.
no makeup oil
OLM = 51% remaining
Will post results soon.
View attachment 208605
View attachment 208606
View attachment 208609
View attachment 208610
The Fram Ultra looks superb. Thank you for the C&P!

If the filter was that plugged, then the filter bypass valve would be wide open probably way before the oil pump hit pressure relief, because the filter bypass valve is only operating on the dP across the filter, and most filters have a wide open bypass valve setting of 25 PSI or less. With a very clogged filter, the dP will build very fast with a relatively low flow of oil from the pump.

And if the fully opened bypass valve could not flow enough oil (due to a small flow area on the valve), then increased engine RPM would be needed to caused the pump to hit pressure relief. With a totally clogged oil filter, the filter is most likely going to hit it's bypass pressure before the pump will hit pressure relief, unless the filters bypass valve setting is something nuts, like 35+ PSI or more, and the pump's pressure relief valve is also set pretty low.

Don't let oil filters approach the fully clogged state is a good thing to practice.
yes, i understand and that is what i was implying by my comment before you said there was no correlation. thank you.

yes, i understand and that is what i was implying by my comment before you said there was no correlation. thank you.
What I meant was no direct connection - the filter bypass valve operates independently of the pump's pressure relief valve. They are indirectly connected only in a very rare situation like I explained when a totally clogged filter can impact the pump, which would never really happen unless someone totally neglected their vehicle and never changed the oil filter, or the engine was a complete sludge monster.

What I meant was no direct connection - the filter bypass valve operates independently of the pump's pressure relief valve. They are indirectly connected only in a very rare situation like I explained when a totally clogged filter can impact the pump, which would never really happen unless someone totally neglected their vehicle and never changed the oil filter, or the engine was a complete sludge monster.
again, i understand lol. people are worried about increasing their bypass pressure, i never said i was. l care for my vehicles appropriately.

I see a good chunk of carbon in those pleats for 6k. Did you notice any difference from prior filters and since Valvoline is wanting us to run a full sump for at least 4 ODI do you plan to increase the 1 qt over time?
When I bought this 07 Yukon Denali 5+ yrs ago it had stuck piston rings from GMs poorly designed pvc system and the previous owner(s) not doing anything about it (TSB 10-06-01-008M). I took care of it immediately. It had plenty of sludge and varnish everywhere.

Yes, there has always been plently of carbon in the bottom of its filter pleats.

Don't confuse the Valvoline PB "RESTORE" that I'm using with the recently BITOG discussed Valvoline RESTORE & PROTECT. They're not in the same league. The VPB "RESTORE' that I'm using was created about 7 yrs ago to unstick piston rings in X15 Cummins. Its no longer on the market, but I have a stash of it. VERY HIGH ESTER (cleaning).

Here's a virgin report of VPB "RESTORE". *note* viscosity is 11.7cSt, not 1.7cSt.
Valvoline Restore VOA.jpg

#4 below is its composition.
Valvoline_Restore_composition.jpg

again, i understand lol. people are worried about increasing their bypass pressure, i never said i was. l care for my vehicles appropriately
Like I said in post 10, a higher filter bypass setting will help keep the filter out of bypass better. As long as the filter can take the higher dP without damage (it should if the designers know what they're doing), then it's all fine. I know you take care of your stuff, that was just a general comment how not to get into a highly clogged filter situation for anyone reading here.

Like I said in post 10, a higher filter bypass setting will help keep the filter out of bypass better. As long as the filter can take the higher dP without damage (it should if the designers know what they're doing), then it's all fine. I know you take care of your stuff, that was just a general comment how not to get into a highly clogged filter situation for anyone reading here.
exactly right. the 10575 was engineered for the bypass spec. i have begun buying 10575 filters by the case as almost every vehicle in our fleet calls for a 10575 filter or the short version.

Back